Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, certainly not the responses I expected. Not sure if additional details will change anything but I'm in this deep, so why not :)

The plastic air deflector was not on the window sticker, and was not in any of the paperwork. They never charged me for it. The Bronco was a custom order that the customer cancelled. If the original customer wanted it installed, I assume that it would be on the original order/paperwork. If the original customer verbally requested the air deflector then cancelled before the Bronco arrived, I doubt they would fulfill his request on an order he already cancelled. It also makes little sense that the original customer waited until the Bronco was on the lot ready to be picked up until cancelling the order. The most likely explanation is that the custom order took too long to be delivered and was cancelled. I find it hard to come up with a likely scenario where somehow the original customers desire for an air deflector gets fulfilled without it being on any of the paperwork. Also, if not due to the original order, why would the dealer on its own decide to attach a cheap plastic air deflector on a very specific build (more on that later) Though, if I learned anything today, I'm sure there are other scenarios that will be pointed out to me... So to me (and apparently only me) the only way that deflector gets installed is to cover a defect, because I certainly didn't request it.

The discovery of the paint chip was 5 days from the day I picked up the vehicle, two of which were Saturday / Sunday. I got it to the PPF installer as quickly as possible since it was 'new' without any blemishes. It's not like I discovered it 6 months later.

The PPF installer was frantically trying to salvage his work day (only vehicle in the shop) so he offered to go pickup some touchup and do his best to make the best of it. He called 5 Ford dealerships trying to get the exact touch up paint and all 5 dealerships said they were out of stock and they didn't expect any for a while. Upon hearing this, I called 'my' dealer's service department and asked if I could buy some touchup and they had the same response. They had none.

And yes, the PPF installer could have done it. I can't prove he didn't. But that means the dealer installed the air deflector for absolutely no reason, didn't charge me for it, and 5 days later its revealed that there's a big chip under it that the dealer didn't have touchup paint in stock to fix with? That just doesn't pass the BS test.

I pointed all of this out to the dealer when I first communicated the chip to them. That's when they graciously offered to pay for the repair. And yeah, this happens all the time and 99% of the time I would have gotten the estimate and took the dealer's money. But they just happened to be the 1% that I decided I'm not going to settle for just the repair when, it is clear to me (and probably only me) that the dealer really tried to pull a fast one on me and I'd rather forego the offer to repair in an attempt to get additional compensation in return for not complaining to all the appropriate agencies and higher ups at Ford. I'm betting they'd be willing to pay a little more to make the problem go away quietly, in writing. Which is what I offered.

Can't wait for the responses to this. I'll address paying over MSRP in my next post.
GET A LIFE MAN!!🤣🥱🥱🥱🥱
Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm an engineer with CDO (which is OCD with the letters in the proper order... that's a joke before I get blasted for it. Well, I do have OCD, that's not the joke part). Every new car I've ever purchased I've custom ordered because I can never bring myself to buy a 50 or 60k vehicle that's not the color I want, or doesn't have a specific option I want. I'm not saying that's the right way to do it, or anyone who doesn't do it that way is wrong, I'm saying that's just one of my quirks. I personally wouldn't be happy unless the vehicle is 'exactly' what I wanted.

Based on the above, I had a nationwide filter setup on autotrader looking for my 'exact' match. I was willing to fly 'anywhere' to pickup that exact vehicle if it became available. In 6 months of looking, not a single hit. My exact match was:

2-Door, Badlands, Sasquatch package, manual, granite crystal, with Lux package.

The chances of finding that on a lot for sale without custom ordering it is near zero.

So when it appeared due to a cancelled order, only 350 miles away and an hour from my parents (who I don't visit enough), I decided to purchase it.

I could have settled for something different, but it wouldn't be "my" Bronco that I wanted. I could have waited for the dealer to drop the price (at the risk of losing the vehicle), or I could have custom ordered a vehicle and waited god knows how long (and this was before the strike). I did negotiate a lower price than he was advertising, but over sticker.

So yeah, I got the exact Bronco I wanted, picked it up 5 days later, and got some time with the parents. I'm not financially strapped, I can certainly afford it, I didn't even finance the vehicle, it was a cash purchase. If that makes me a sucker, or a fool, or whatever else I was called, so be it.
🥱🥱🥱🥱😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

:ROFLMAO: It's a paint chip that you can't prove that it wasn't the wrap company when they pried off the hood deflector. The dealer is being gracious in offering to pay for the chip. Are you actually trying to claw back some of the ADM as remuneration for the paint chip? If so, this isn't going to end well for you.
This right here.
OP is sore he paid mark up and now trying to position the dealership for something more.
Dude, if they said they'd fix it, let them fix and then when the paint doesn't match come back and complain about that.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, certainly not the responses I expected. Not sure if additional details will change anything but I'm in this deep, so why not :)

The plastic air deflector was not on the window sticker, and was not in any of the paperwork. They never charged me for it. The Bronco was a custom order that the customer cancelled. If the original customer wanted it installed, I assume that it would be on the original order/paperwork. If the original customer verbally requested the air deflector then cancelled before the Bronco arrived, I doubt they would fulfill his request on an order he already cancelled. It also makes little sense that the original customer waited until the Bronco was on the lot ready to be picked up until cancelling the order. The most likely explanation is that the custom order took too long to be delivered and was cancelled. I find it hard to come up with a likely scenario where somehow the original customers desire for an air deflector gets fulfilled without it being on any of the paperwork. Also, if not due to the original order, why would the dealer on its own decide to attach a cheap plastic air deflector on a very specific build (more on that later) Though, if I learned anything today, I'm sure there are other scenarios that will be pointed out to me... So to me (and apparently only me) the only way that deflector gets installed is to cover a defect, because I certainly didn't request it.

The discovery of the paint chip was 5 days from the day I picked up the vehicle, two of which were Saturday / Sunday. I got it to the PPF installer as quickly as possible since it was 'new' without any blemishes. It's not like I discovered it 6 months later.

The PPF installer was frantically trying to salvage his work day (only vehicle in the shop) so he offered to go pickup some touchup and do his best to make the best of it. He called 5 Ford dealerships trying to get the exact touch up paint and all 5 dealerships said they were out of stock and they didn't expect any for a while. Upon hearing this, I called 'my' dealer's service department and asked if I could buy some touchup and they had the same response. They had none.

And yes, the PPF installer could have done it. I can't prove he didn't. But that means the dealer installed the air deflector for absolutely no reason, didn't charge me for it, and 5 days later its revealed that there's a big chip under it that the dealer didn't have touchup paint in stock to fix with? That just doesn't pass the BS test.

I pointed all of this out to the dealer when I first communicated the chip to them. That's when they graciously offered to pay for the repair. And yeah, this happens all the time and 99% of the time I would have gotten the estimate and took the dealer's money. But they just happened to be the 1% that I decided I'm not going to settle for just the repair when, it is clear to me (and probably only me) that the dealer really tried to pull a fast one on me and I'd rather forego the offer to repair in an attempt to get additional compensation in return for not complaining to all the appropriate agencies and higher ups at Ford. I'm betting they'd be willing to pay a little more to make the problem go away quietly, in writing. Which is what I offered.

Can't wait for the responses to this. I'll address paying over MSRP in my next post.
You are not getting more than a paid for repair. You already got the "I am just paying for this to go away" offer, which is the offer to pay for the repair. You can't prove anything about the paint chip. If I were advising the dealer and I got that extortion letter from you, I would tell them to tell you to pound sand. You already have a paper trail with them that is super aggressive - in writing. And you have no evidence that they caused the issue. You painted yourself into a corner. Your written record makes you look like you are trying to score a buck. Hell, you posted that here online. Silly.

I would not go to agencies or post something on social media or review them in this case because they may have a decent cause of action against you since, as you made clear, you have no evidence that they caused the issue here and you just want $$. It could have been your PPF buddy. It could have been you.

Smart money says let this go.

Dunning Kruger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D OBX 2.7L Bronco, 2015 Audi A7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

You have an NDA out to them and you are posting about it on a public forum? I wonder what the language of this NDA actually is….

Take a chill pill. Get the chip repaired. The dealer said they would pick up the tab.

crap happens. Just today I read two threads here from guys who had their Broncos totaled at the fault of other drivers. Those posters seem to be handling much more serious consequences with much more maturity than you are. So relax.

In a year or two you will have a few chips and scratches. Move on.

Sponsored

BigJim1957

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT/CS, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Try this company for touch-up paint. They had my daughter's 2022 Escape color in stock. It only took a few days to get it delivered.

Touch Up Paint | ScratchesHappen

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you legit have OCD, then it sounds like your OCD is getting in the way of accepting the easy win and just getting it fixed. Talk to your therapist about this, because getting lost in the weeds is not helping you.

My advice here is based on the fact that I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once and is not intended to be professional advice.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

:ROFLMAO: Trying to strong-arm the dealer to pay more than just the paint chip repair isn't going to have the result you are hoping for. When they received your demand, you are lucky they just didn't send Chow with a touch-up paint container in hand.
87cee85094ffed76177122220b02c5c0-gif.gif

I had a nationwide filter setup on autotrader looking for my 'exact' match. I was willing to fly 'anywhere' to pickup that exact vehicle if it became available. In 6 months of looking, not a single hit. My exact match was:

2-Door, Badlands, Sasquatch package, manual, granite crystal, with Lux package.

The chances of finding that on a lot for sale without custom ordering it is near zero.
FIFY.

How do you set up a filter for a color that doesn't exist? No wonder no dealers had that touch-up paint. You bought a carbonized gray Bronco. It is one of the most common colors - if it can even be considered a color - available on the Bronco. Hate to break it to you, but you don't have a unique 1-of-1 Bronco. Probably wouldn't have waited so long in your search if you knew the actual colors that the Bronco came in.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's going to happen to the body shop that repaints the hood and now the hood doesn't exactly match the fenders or have the same factory orange peel?

The importance should not be on getting the dealer to fess up, which is what it sounds like is the point. Dealer could've just as easily said, "not our problem" and risk negative reviews but they didn't.

Whether the dealer tried to cover it up or not is of no concern since the offered to have it fixed at their expense. Is it an annoyance? Yes. Is it cool to try and extract more out of them than what was already offered in exchange for your silence? Nope.

What likely happened is what most of us think. Either it happened in transport and somehow they missed it on check in which would be on them or it was driven between the time they got it and sold. They threw a bug shield on because the deal was already working and they didn't have time to repair or touch up and hoped no one would notice. They got caught and offered to pay to have it fixed. There ya go.

Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I get your thought process that leads you to a dealer cover up, but when people here offer the alternative that the PPF installer may have done it and you quickly dismiss as unlikely is what loses me. It's honestly just as likely. In life I have found that when I am set on something the way I see it, and enough people say my perspective may be wrong...well I may have come to the wrong conclusion. The bug deflector could have been an add on requested by the original buyer and added in error on delivery, could have been an item they added to charge the buyer but didn't in your case because you paid 5k ADM, or could be a cover up. We don't know and response guesses are equally valid as yours even if you disagree.

Regardless, your post title indicates you need help fighting the dealer but the dealer is willing to make things right, so where is the fight? Others have shared alternative ways to get touch up paint if that was the way you wanted to go. As far as getting additional compensation, all I can say is good luck. If you presented the dealer with the issue and complain to Ford, dealer will simply point to the communication they sent saying they offered to fix at body shop of your choosing. Same if you tried to blast on social media. You could try to take them to court (you can sue for anything, wrong or right, legal or not), but lets say you got far enough to get a court date and hearing with a jury. This forum has already pointed out that the dealer has offered to fix or there are a number of other solutions. A random jury would likely come to the same conclusion. In all likelihood it could backfire and paint you as the unreasonable one and could cause you more trouble, especially if you made accusations on social media about them intentionally trying to hide a defect without direct evidence (just circumstantial). That could put you on the hook for damages to them. Not a lawyer, so take that with a grain of salt...just an observation.

I see you are new to the forum so best of luck with the situation and hopefully you are able to enjoy better times with your Bronco and maybe even get to share those stories with the group when they happen.

@Beach_Bum , thanks for that. I was scratching my head on the granite crystal paint option wondering if there was a special edition I forgot about.

Last edited:

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not financially strapped, I can certainly afford it, I didn't even finance the vehicle, it was a cash purchase. If that makes me a sucker, or a fool, or whatever else I was called, so be it.
Sounds like you ARE a bit financially strapped and want some of that ADM back. Someone with the money would let them fix a simple paint chip and move on.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Long story short, I flew to pickup my Bronco several states away as it was nearly exactly what I was looking for with model/options. When I picked it up, there was a cheap plastic air deflector installed on the front of the hood (the type held on with 3M tape). I figured when I got it home I'd remove it, no big deal.

I got home and decided to get a stealth PPF wrap. The company doing the wrap offered to take the deflector off when they performed the wrap. They then texted me the large chip in the hood that the deflector was hiding.

We tried to get Ford touchup paint in that model, but every dealer within 100 miles was out of stock saying it was "impossible to get" (yet another reason for dealer to install deflector).

When confronted with all of this, the dealer requested a quote from a body shop to repair and they would pay the bill. I should mention, they charged me 5k over sticker due to some term I forget, but basically they're hard to come by so pay a premium.

To say I'm livid is an understatement. Before I get into it with the dealer, I was hoping to get a bit of info:

1. A cheap plastic air deflector is not a factory option, this is something only the dealer adds, correct?
2. There was no air deflector on the sticker, or anywhere in the paperwork. Dealers "never" throw in things for free, correct?
3. Has anyone seen a Bronco on a lot with this air deflector installed?

Ford Bronco Need Help Fighting Dealer 87cee85094ffed76177122220b02c5c0-
the used the air deflector to hide the chip plain and simple
explain you will use multi media and give them a bad review if they dont fix this issue
if they dont then contact ford use media and give bad review
then they will either offer take bad survey off and they will fix or tell you f off lol

Twister22

Badlands
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor 1965 Mustang 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That also could have happened when they were taking off the deflector to do the wrap. At least the dealer is taking care of it!
Sponsored