Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are most welcome...this stupid dipstick thing has haunted me since my first oil change back in October...my hope now is that it is TRULY the correct stick (it is now listed as such in the parts database) rather than Ford teasing us with a "7 quart oil capacity" and then later figuring out that it really holds 6 and then just finding that the 3.5 liter stick happens to have the 7-quart level fall into the hash mark range towards the upper limit (which it does beautifully). Call me skeptical but it seems ready odd that the "solution" to the intended stick being a quart off is repurposing an existing stick intended for an entirely different engine perplexes me. Even so, it makes me happier that at least all appears well as soon as I measure my oil.

I would wager that a lot of folks, however, will buy the right stick, then check their oil immediately after adding it and not wait the at least 15 minutes, and then complain that their oil measures too low...wait for it...

So to everyone...if you buy the correct stick, please wait until AFTER 15 minutes has passed after shutting off your car/adding oil to check the level (as per the manual).
I’m fairly certain all current 2.7 platforms are 7 quarts, but you make some valid points and provided a solution, kudos to you sir.
Sponsored

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m fairly certain all current 2.7 platforms are 7 quarts, but you make some valid points and provided a solution, kudos to you sir.
My Edge ST and F-150 2.7 are both 6 Quart capacity. I think the Bronco 2.7 might be the only 7 qt capacity? Does the Bronco in fact have a different/deeper oil pan? I mean, that would make sense for off roading. What doesn't make sense is that Ford could screw up something as important as a dipstick. Can't blame Webasto for that.......

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
The thing to remember, and why Ford wants you to wait 15 minutes or whatever time to check it after running is because its a cartridge filter
I thought Ford's official reason was because the engine was designed to drain down slow for the start/stop?

shouldnt Ford provide the new dipstick as a warranty item?
Some bean counter has likely determined that in the long run Ford will save money replacing the relatively few engines that actually fail because of lack of oil rather than make it right and replace the dipsticks. In the end, they'll probably get sued and lose much more money. These companies never seem to learn from their mistakes.

Sponsored

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought Ford's official reason was because the engine was designed to drain down slow for the start/stop?

Some bean counter has likely determined that in the long run Ford will save money replacing the relatively few engines that actually fail because of lack of oil rather than make it right and replace the dipsticks. In the end, they'll probably get sued and lose much more money. These companies never seem to learn from their mistakes.
I guess for now no matter what the dipstick says, put 7 qts in it at oil change time.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Laugh or cry that Ford missed this during all of the testing of the vehicle?

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Laugh or cry that Ford missed this during all of the testing of the vehicle?
I’ll be pretty honest most techs that would be using the dipstick the most are usually contracted employees. And also they generally would do exactly as the spec sheet says for oil fill I doubt they even focus specifically on what the dipstick says: drain oil, fill with 7 quarts, done. It’s not surprising in the slightest to have prototype products in the field with parts from other vehicles. The issue is that it’s assumed it’ll get fixed in production. Another stellar example are the tube doors. Those things are godawful ugly (welds and fit and finish). It’s horrible I don’t understand it right now.

Just left my dealer, ordered the new dipstick for $15 and will be picking it up whenever they say they get it. They still show the FT4Z part number in their system which is dumb. They didn’t seem to understand how it could have had the wrong dipstick from the factory but not really something I can blame them for. It wouldn’t be something you’d seriously need to have to double check. I hope we get this straightened out for customers.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll be pretty honest most techs that would be using the dipstick the most are usually contracted employees. And also they generally would do exactly as the spec sheet says for oil fill I doubt they even focus specifically on what the dipstick says: drain oil, fill with 7 quarts, done. It’s not surprising in the slightest to have prototype products in the field with parts from other vehicles. The issue is that it’s assumed it’ll get fixed in production. Another stellar example are the tube doors. Those things are godawful ugly (welds and fit and finish). It’s horrible I don’t understand it right now.

Just left my dealer, ordered the new dipstick for $15 and will be picking it up whenever they say they get it. They still show the FT4Z part number in their system which is dumb. They didn’t seem to understand how it could have had the wrong dipstick from the factory but not really something I can blame them for. It wouldn’t be something you’d seriously need to have to double check. I hope we get this straightened out for customers.
I don't have access to the Ford parts system but it was interesting when I went to my dealer. When I told him about the "new" number, he looked in his part system and then told me that the stick fits Navigators and F-150s and Explorers with 3.5s. I then was politely persistent, and then he took a little bit longer to search and finally he found that the number I gave him is also indicated for the ('22) Bronco. Even when I went to a different dealership back in November, right after I found that my old stick was inaccurate, they told me that the "new" number was the correct number for Broncos. He didn't have one in stock, so I couldn't buy one or even check it against the stick I had at the time. Based on those experiences, I imagine that there is more than one place to look in the parts database...it all seems to depend on how deep of a dive the parts person is willing to go through...at least now that we know that the new stick is the correct stick that makes it a lot easier (unless the part guy tries to cross-reference it with a VIN and finds the old number which is apparently happening depending upon the dealership you land in).

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have access to the Ford parts system but it was interesting when I went to my dealer. When I told him about the "new" number, he looked in his part system and then told me that the stick fits Navigators and F-150s and Explorers with 3.5s. I then was politely persistent, and then he took a little bit longer to search and finally he found that the number I gave him is also indicated for the ('22) Bronco. Even when I went to a different dealership back in November, right after I found that my old stick was inaccurate, they told me that the "new" number was the correct number for Broncos. He didn't have one in stock, so I couldn't buy one or even check it against the stick I had at the time. Based on those experiences, I imagine that there is more than one place to look in the parts database...it all seems to depend on how deep of a dive the parts person is willing to go through...at least now that we know that the new stick is the correct stick that makes it a lot easier (unless the part guy tries to cross-reference it with a VIN and finds the old number which is apparently happening depending upon the dealership you land in).
He would be close in assuming that it’s the same as the 3.5L EcoBoost since the part number is almost the same: ML3Z-6750-B

The Nano (2.7 & 3.0) dipstick in the Explorer/Aviator and F-150 is: L1MZ-6750-A

Anything else that isn’t a Bronco that has the 2.7L or 3.0L would be using the FT4Z-6750-A

MB3Z-6750-B holds parity with no other models besides the Bronco which is important considering the Bronco is not only the only Nano platform in a mainstream product to take 7 quarts, but the only V6 offering to take 7 quarts. This was a big miss

Last edited:

Sponsored

Farmerdan

Black Diamond
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does anyone know of offical info from Ford on this subject? The service and parts dept at my dealer hadnt heard anything about it. Can someone post a link?

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know of offical info from Ford on this subject? The service and parts dept at my dealer hadnt heard anything about it. Can someone post a link?
I am unaware of anything official...other than Ford did confirm that our engines are meant to hold 7 quarts and that the M part number provided accurately measures that amount. I recommend simply asking the dealer to order the correct stick and calling it a day with zero attempt to draw attention to the former stick fiasco (unless you want to get into a long conversation or if you want your dealer to document your rationale for swapping sticks). Apparently some dealers have quickly found that the new number matches Broncos, and others resist and tell the customer that the new number is not the correct number (but it is if the goal is being able to accurately measure 7 quarts in our 2.7s). I imagine that Ford is in no hurry to provide anything that highlights that the wrong stick was ever intended to be used in the Broncos. Flip provided screenshots of the closest thing we will have access to as "proof."

CeeCeeBronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
CeeCee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry if I missed this here in the multiple prior pages, but quick question.

If when I changed my oil, 6 quarts came out, does that mean it's okay to put 6 quarts back in? Including if the dipstick measures as full? (setting aside the question for now on whether the dipstick gives the wrong reading as I haven't checked which mine came with yet.)

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry if I missed this here in the multiple prior pages, but quick question.

If when I changed my oil, 6 quarts came out, does that mean it's okay to put 6 quarts back in? Including if the dipstick measures as full? (setting aside the question for now on whether the dipstick gives the wrong reading as I haven't checked which mine came with yet.)
If you have a 2.7 l engine, and if you removed the oil filter housing first, and waited 15 minutes before you drained it, about 6.7 quarts should have come out if it was a factory fill (the filter holds several ounces when saturated). If you added 6 after having drained all the old oil out, and if your stick reads full after you ran the engine and waited 15 minutes to check the level, I would wager that you have the F stick and not the M stick.

CeeCeeBronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
CeeCee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have a 2.7 l engine, and if you removed the oil filter housing first, and waited 15 minutes before you drained it, about 6.7 quarts should have come out if it was a factory fill (the filter holds several ounces when saturated). If you added 6 after having drained all the old oil out, and if your stick reads full after you ran the engine and waited 15 minutes to check the level, I would wager that you have the F stick and not the M stick.
Let's assume I was being honest that only 6 quarts came out (and that I did it correctly), and that I refilled it with the same (maybe a tick more) amount of oil that came out...Any thoughts on that?

Also, am I missing it, or is there no actual primary source for this information yet?
Sponsored