First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Y, 2012 BMW 335is vert
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@broncorik so what’s the deal with this? Is it a surreptitious move back to 7qt fill on the later 2023s?
2023 2.7 wildtrak. Watching thread….

Really is crazy that I have read 6, 6.5. 7 quarts and various replies on part numbers.

I just got mine and only have 40 miles on it. So, not urgent…. But I do plan on changing my own oil to make sure it’s done right.
Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Really is crazy that I have read 6, 6.5. 7 quarts and various replies on part numbers.

I just got mine and only have 40 miles on it. So, not urgent…. But I do plan on changing my own oil to make sure it’s done right.
My 2.7 Badlands was built mid April 2023. I changed oil at 1500 miles. The factory level was 1/8" above the top hole on the dipstick. After draining the pan for 30 minutes and changing the filter I added 6 Qts and it put the level to the same spot. I never put the 7th Qt in and that is where the level has remained.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base

Where does your level show on your dipstick after sitting awhile?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's just my take but has worked for me...let your factory oil level sit overnight and check the stick. Mark it with a light scratch...bingo..new baseline.

This whole variation in oil levels depending on how soon you check it is what will drive you crazy.... Overnight, it is as drained as it's going to get.

Fyi...mine is scribed slightly above the max mark where everyone elses is from the factory.

Reactions: 0ne

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@broncorik so what’s the deal with this? Is it a surreptitious move back to 7qt fill on the later 2023s?
No. It’s still 6 quarts. Still the same dip stick

Sponsored

Brandonj83

Black Diamond
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I’m going to change mine at 1000 miles with 6 quarts and check the stick. Right now with the factory fill, it’s well above the full mark on the dipstick.

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a PDF copy of the SSB on the 6 quart oil quantity? went to wally world and their system says 7 quarts.

• Wow
Reactions: 0ne

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rydfree , +1. My BL was exactly the same when I did my 1K breakin change. I added 6 qts and stick shows right at factory fill level it came with.

Crazy that this 6 vs 7 qt issue STILL rages…. People just need to do it themselves and pay attention to the details. ( ie: be consistent when comparing and doing maintenance. )

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Rydfree , +1. My BL was exactly the same when I did my 1K breakin change. I added 6 qts and stick shows right at factory fill level it came with.

Crazy that this 6 vs 7 qt issue STILL rages…. People just need to do it themselves and pay attention to the details. ( ie: be consistent when comparing and doing maintenance. )
It rages on because there are most definitely variations in “factory fill” and dipstick readings/part numbers combined with Ford’s initial instructions on service fill then their updated instructions on service fill and their instructions to let things drain and sit for ridiculously long periods of time to get “accurate” readings. 👀🍿🤷‍♂️

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FT4E-6750-BG D454A
IMG_6916.jpeg
That is the updated stick that predictably has the level marks at the same positions as the OEM stick from the first runs in the 2021 builds...and I just checked mine, which is the same part number as yours, and at 6 quarts the level is right at the full mark (after sitting all night). I recommend checking when cold after sitting all night. The correct amount per Ford is still 6 quarts, and there is zero need to scribe any new lines. Make sure that prior to dumping oil that filter has been removed first and that vehicle has sat for at least 30 minutes (or longer) after it has been shut off.

For those folks out there that still (adamantly) believe there is some grand Ford conspiracy plot to coerce all owners into adding 7 quarts, put in as much oil as your beliefs support. For the rest of us, IMHO (which yes I realize is worth nothing), 6 is still correct (per Ford). My theory is much less conspiracy-based than those of some others...I believe someone at Ford thought a 7-quart pan would be not only an advantage for wheeling but also a cool selling point...and that quite possibly the drawing board oil pan may have been designed for 7. Based on having reviewed both the actual Bronco 2.7 pan and a 2.7 F-150 pan, it is pretty obvious that the Bronco pan had to be notched to clear the front diff. By doing so, that extra quart idea was no longer feasible (neither was making a deeper pan...that would have equaled low-hanging fruit). What we are left with is a pan that actually holds slightly less than even the F-150 six quart pan (as demonstrated by filling both pans and measuring the distance from the top of the oil to the top of the pan). There are also no mystery baffles or secret compartments meant to keep oil in the pan whilst performing heroic off-road maneuvers. So for those of you that still feel more comfortable adding more than six quarts, add your additional .67456789 and sleep better. For the rest of us, six quarts is (still) the current correct amount. Note also that no one's garage is perfectly level (unless it wasn't built to code for drainage), and adding a lift and being nose high or tail high or having gear in your car or parking on the crown of a road to check your oil is going to give you an inaccurate reading.

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20230910_075100

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20230910_075124

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is the updated stick that predictably has the level marks at the same positions as the OEM stick from the first runs in the 2021 builds...and I just checked mine, which is the same part number as yours, and at 6 quarts the level is right at the full mark (after sitting all night). I recommend checking when cold after sitting all night. The correct amount per Ford is still 6 quarts, and there is zero need to scribe any new lines. Make sure that prior to dumping oil that filter has been removed first and that vehicle has sat for at least 30 minutes (or longer) after it has been shut off.

For those folks out there that still (adamantly) believe there is some grand Ford conspiracy plot to coerce all owners into adding 7 quarts, put in as much oil as your beliefs support. For the rest of us, IMHO (which yes I realize is worth nothing), 6 is still correct (per Ford). My theory is much less conspiracy-based than those of some others...I believe someone at Ford thought a 7-quart pan would be not only an advantage for wheeling but also a cool selling point...and that quite possibly the drawing board oil pan may have been designed for 7. Based on having reviewed both the actual Bronco 2.7 pan and a 2.7 F-150 pan, it is pretty obvious that the Bronco pan had to be notched to clear the front diff. By doing so, that extra quart idea was no longer feasible (neither was making a deeper pan...that would have equaled low-hanging fruit). What we are left with is a pan that actually holds slightly less than even the F-150 six quart pan (as demonstrated by filling both pans and measuring the distance from the top of the oil to the top of the pan). There are also no mystery baffles or secret compartments meant to keep oil in the pan whilst performing heroic off-road maneuvers. So for those of you that still feel more comfortable adding more than six quarts, add your additional .67456789 and sleep better. For the rest of us, six quarts is (still) the current correct amount. Note also that no one's garage is perfectly level (unless it wasn't built to code for drainage), and adding a lift and being nose high or tail high or having gear in your car or parking on the crown of a road to check your oil is going to give you an inaccurate reading.

20230910_075100.jpg

20230910_075124.jpg
It Sat for a couple hrs before I drained, removed the filler cap and oil filter. I let it drain for ~30 min. I filled with 6 qts per the manual. Ran it for a few min, took it around the block and checked again…at bottom hash. I let it sit for 20 min and checked the oil again, it was at the bottom of the hash still. I thought maybe it really does need 7…?!

The next day I was running errands, stopped by to get Another quart just in case. I got home let it sit 10 min, checked again and oil was still at the bottom of the hash, so I added .75 quart and it was at the top of the hash…

I had let it sit over night and checked per your post @broncorik (thanks man) and sure enough it’s above the top dot…:poop: I’ve never seen an engine take this long to drain and be able to properly check levels…
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct IMG_6926

I had read through this thread and this one on the SSM. There has been so much back and forth on this subject, it’s ridiculous. It seems it’s still fine to fill to 7, but I decided to drain a bit so it was down to the top of the hash… Luckily I installed this UPR plug and it was pretty easy to drain just the right amount.

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct IMG_6835
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct IMG_6927

Given all this, there’s no way I’ll let anyone else change the oil…! 🤣 So everyone just fill with 6qts and let it sit over night before you check levels again and add anything else…

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It Sat for a couple hrs before I drained, removed the filler cap and oil filter. I let it drain for ~30 min. I filled with 6 qts per the manual. Ran it for a few min, took it around the block and checked again…at bottom hash. I let it sit for 20 min and checked the oil again, it was at the bottom of the hash still. I thought maybe it really does need 7…?!

The next day I was running errands, stopped by to get Another quart just in case. I got home let it sit 10 min, checked again and oil was still at the bottom of the hash, so I added .75 quart and it was at the top of the hash…

I had let it sit over night and checked per your post @broncorik (thanks man) and sure enough it’s above the top dot…:poop: I’ve never seen an engine take this long to drain and be able to properly check levels…
IMG_6926.jpeg

I had read through this thread and this one on the SSM. There has been so much back and forth on this subject, it’s ridiculous. It seems it’s still fine to fill to 7, but I decided to drain a bit so it was down to the top of the hash… Luckily I installed this UPR plug and it was pretty easy to drain just the right amount.

IMG_6835.jpeg
IMG_6927.jpeg

Given all this, there’s no way I’ll let anyone else change the oil…! 🤣 So everyone just fill with 6qts and let it sit over night before you check levels again and add anything else…
I have the UPR as well... definitely makes fine-tuning easier! I do remove It completely during an oil change, however, because if you don't there's still some oil that won't drain. The Bronco is definitely a vehicle that you can't do a quick oil change on and trust whatever reading you initially get...I imagine that there's going to be a lot of overfilled Broncos if owners take them to quickie oil change places.

Last edited:

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If 6 qts only filled to bottom mark on oil dipstick, anyone servicing would add more to bring oil level to top mark.

Why would I have the wrong dipstick from the factory in an engine that has been made a long time?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If 6 qts only filled to bottom mark on oil dipstick, anyone servicing would add more to bring oil level to top mark.

Why would I have the wrong dipstick from the factory in an engine that has been made a long time?
It is the correct dipstick. The 2021s had a different part number, but measured the same as the current part numbered stick. For a VERY brief time, the catalog listed a different PN (but that stick never came from the factory in a 2.7 Bronco)...one that correctly measured 7 quarts...but that came and went as Ford corrected the capacity in both the PDF manual and the HTML manual (and sent out the corrected information bulletin to dealers). If owners simply use the sticks they have, and add 6 quarts after a proper oil change (waiting until all the old oil drains and checking the oil after running the vehicle and then letting it sit overnight) it will reflect the level at or near the full mark.

woodsman44

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently did a oil change on my 2023 2.7L and put in 6 quarts and then drove it around for mabey 10 mins...it showed to be at the bottom hash marks so I added a half quart, then let it sit overnight and now its above and beyond full on hash marks....moral of the story is that 6 quarts is just the right amount ;)
Sponsored