Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yup. That would work. I had only jacked up one side but as BMB said, maybe that wasn’t enough movement to engage.
Hopefully this is all. Have you tried this yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian_B

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Final answer from the shop - electrical all checks good, bad new coil out of the box

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Final answer from the shop - electrical all checks good, bad new coil out of the box
Damn! How long till a new coil. Are they exchanging it who you bought from?

OP
OP
Brian_B

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Damn! How long till a new coil. Are they exchanging it who you bought from?
2-3 more week backorder.

I did get authorization for the failed one to refund. Just gonna take more time. And a clamshell bearing puller this time...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brian_B

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok, reviving this as I got coil #3 and looking for some confirmation.

Before pulling the carrier I noticed the fuse was blown again - I hadn't played with it since taking it into the shop earlier. I noticed the coil that was installed had dropped to 1.0 ohms. Not sure what went on there, but it never had pulled any amps so I guess bad coil is bad.

I've got the carrier on the bench, the bearing off and the new coil on. I can energize the new coil - it reads 3.7 Ohms, and it draws about 3.5A of current - so far so good. It doesn't really pull the locking plate up though. Any idea if this is normal or not? Every video I've seen so far while investigating this, the locking ring clicks and clamps up hard.

I will post some pics/vids when I can. When I energize the coil I can see it move just a bit but I can still pull it off the carrier easily (the bearing is still off). As recommended before - checking for magnetism - it does magnetize the center of the carrier (where the bearing will go). The towers/locking ring has some bounce to it when I check it, it isn't bound or anything and has free play (I think it's supposed to, looking at how it's put together here) — it could just be because I don’t have the bearing on yet too

Any feedback would be great before I stick the carrier bearing back on and make this thing semi-permanent. If this doesn’t work I’ve struck out and will start looking at other options.

EDIT - got the pics up. In the first video you can see the coil jump a little bit when I hit it on the battery (as well as hear it arc a bit when it comes off), but it isn't a strong grab. The last video is with the coil energized. I'm using a lawnmower battery while I have it on the bench.

Ford Bronco New takeoff locker - I'm missing something IMG_1876

Ford Bronco New takeoff locker - I'm missing something IMG_1871

Ford Bronco New takeoff locker - I'm missing something IMG_1872

Ford Bronco New takeoff locker - I'm missing something IMG_1873

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian_B

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well,

Got it all put back together. Got both tires off the ground and turned it on. I heard it click, but it didn't engage - tires spun in different directions. Tried turning the driveshaft to see if that would do anything - nothing.

So now after all of this, I'm convinced it's something with the carrier. What, I have no idea. But I have a coil that's pulling current, just nothing locking. I can't explain why it shorted/nearly shorted the first two coils out (I have a theory, but it's not terribly convincing and I only half believe it - just grasping at straws).

Tearing the diff apart is way over my head - I'm already in over my head as it is here. So - new carrier... at that point I'm just an air compressor away from an air locker really, or a TrueTrac that would cost less.

Since we had a weak snow season this year anyway, I got lucky and never really needed it - heck, maybe I don't need it anyway and this is just my sign. Sometimes you just get bad parts - live and learn, and I definitely have learned a few things in this.
Sponsored