First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dang, I want to install a catch can, but live in the MN cold. Making me think twice now.
I live in MN, the can on my Mustang fills up a bit faster in the winter but nothing like that. I probably empty it once a month in cold months.
Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live in MN, the can on my Mustang fills up a bit faster in the winter but nothing like that. I probably empty it once a month in cold months.
Any problems with freezing can/line?

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I see a lot of these catch can installations with the can higher than the hoses. Wouldn't you want the can lower than the hoses so they drain into the can?

OP
OP
VelocityBronco

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see a lot of these catch can installations with the can higher than the hoses. Wouldn't you want the can lower than the hoses so they drain into the can?
It doesn't drain really, it separates the oil from the air that is being sucked through the PCV lines, and the oil falls to the bottom of the can as the air passes through. So unless you mount it upside down, it will still capture the oil, or most of it...

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also with the can higher, any oil residue in the line going to the can, can theoretically drain back to the engine.

There are even Catch Cans which have a hose off of the bottom that lead back to the Oil Pan. So you never have to drain the can, as it's constantly returning the oil to the oil pan.

OP
OP
VelocityBronco

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also with the can higher, any oil residue in the line going to the can, can theoretically drain back to the engine.

There are even Catch Cans which have a hose off of the bottom that lead back to the Oil Pan. So you never have to drain the can, as it's constantly returning the oil to the oil pan.
Are you kidding me, @The Pope just commented on my thread!! And a Bronco fan!!! Suck it Jeep! Haha
Is it just clean oil that gets trapped, or any other vapors, like water that you wouldn't want to drain back to the pan?
Someone earlier said they had a freezing issue, and oil doesn't freeze, so...

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang, I want to install a catch can, but live in the MN cold. Making me think twice now. Can at least use for summer months only I guess.
They are fine all season

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you kidding me, @The Pope just commented on my thread!! And a Bronco fan!!! Suck it Jeep! Haha
Is it just clean oil that gets trapped, or any other vapors, like water that you wouldn't want to drain back to the pan?
Someone earlier said they had a freezing issue, and oil doesn't freeze, so...
It's the water condensation during winter months, possibly freezing. But replies have said it should be good all year round.

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
BTW .. I have never know anyone to be denied a warranty over a catch can. BTW, a catch actually helps the engine run cleaner.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361

" After a two week battle with the dealer and GM they blamed my catch can and blocked my warranty giving me no explanation on how the catch can caused any failure and now have walked away from an 11 month old car with 11423 miles on it. "

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

" After a two week battle with the dealer and GM they blamed my catch can and blocked my warranty giving me no explanation on how the catch can caused any failure and now have walked away from an 11 month old car with 11423 miles on it. "
Amazing. I am glad this was such a detailed account of the issue. It seems like the dealer was looking to dodge the repair and used the catch can to do it. It interesting to me what the motivation would be. Looks like a Ford Motorsport catch can might be a lower hassle option when under warranty.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks like a Ford Motorsport catch can might be a lower hassle option when under warranty.
If Ford adds it to the B&P and warranties it, I'll put one on no problem. If not, it won't see one. The 6.4 in my avatar will never see a catch can.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That sucks. I am still installing one on my Bronco and then removing it if I need to go to the dealer. MY advice ... if you are buying a bronco NOT to install one.

Lightning rarely strikes a person BUT if you are struck once then I guess it can happen to you again.

Sponsored