Sponsored

Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no?

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered a 4DR Badlands no Squatch. Badlands is pretty much already Squatched with just a smaller lift and smaller wheels and tires.
What is the Badlands lift?
Sponsored

LSTLAF

First Name
Glort
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sphere shaped craft
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The entrance to our neighborhood Starbucks is a bit tricky, so I went with SAS.

Ford Bronco Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no? 4-215-4-jeep-shows-impressive-flex-while-passing-through-gnarly-terrain

Actually, NON-SAS wasn't an option for the FE. Only you can decide what's best for you. No regrets.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have no idea what that means
But it made me LOL

Bigwheelin

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dear friends, it’s time I finalize my build. To Sasquatch or no? I’m in Florida and won’t off-road often. My reason to do it would be looks and resale value. The reason not to do it is I won’t use it, cost, and could delay my order. My build is badlands 4 door.

What would you do?
I ordered Badlands 4 door no Sasquatch, same wont off road much better fuel economy, save the money , not much difference anyway

RiseAbove

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sas on A BL is a good deal. If you ever think you may want 35s, just get the Sasquatch now. You will pay more than $2495 just for wheels and tires. And that doesnt include gearing.
Finally someone making sense!

OP
OP
GatorDave

GatorDave

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Couple of disclaimers upfront:
1) Sasquatch is BADASS!
2) I’m not trying to rally the troops to get 33”. That’ll make my build less unique. Go hog wild with the 35” folks.

I personally prefer the look of the base badlands wheel. I think it’s less popular because it’s not as rugged looking? Or maybe that it looks like a sedan wheel? Either way, I think it’s the coolest looking wheel offered on the Bronco. Also, I talked to a few Jeep owners who said I wouldn’t like mud tires on the highway. But let’s be honest, they’re Jeep owners: you can’t trust them. 🤣

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I talked to a few Jeep owners who said I wouldn’t like mud tires on the highway. But let’s be honest, they’re Jeep owners: you can’t trust them. 🤣
You have to avoid the people that claim they have "Death Wobble" when in reality they lost a single balancing weight on a front tire.
:p

Sponsored

machtig

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would prefer 35s I think, but I hate the sasquatch fender flares, and I really dislike the goodyear tires. So I'm getting a Badlands with the upgraded wheels and the BFG KO2s, which is a phenomenal tire, even if it is only 33".

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thought process behind going with 35s from the get go is 3 fold.

First up, I was a hard core rock crawler and I intend to get back into it with the Bronco.
I will be doing trails that are harder than what Ford tested on. So for me, there is no hype. I personally know that 35s do make a difference and will be in situations where I will put them to good use. I also know that Dana 44s with 35s are near bullet proof. If you upgrade the axle shafts, even more so.

Second point
Going with SAS immediately, The setup is 100% covered under warranty with no wiggle room for Ford. So even if you had an issue, or broke something. It was in no way modified by you, so there is no discussion on what could have caused the failure. The Bronco is the only vehicle in which you can get 35" tires covered under factory warranty. That is not hype, that's a reality and It is a big differentiator compared to the competition.

Last,
This is what it costs to add 18" rims to a mustang.

Ford Bronco Ok, time to pull the trigger: Squatch or no? 4-215-4-jeep-shows-impressive-flex-while-passing-through-gnarly-terrain

For those sticking with the 33' but adding the optional rims you have this cost

That makes the SAS cost of $2400 very fair and it guarantees the 2.7 gearing.

I highly doubt anyone who adds SAS to a BL will regret their decision. I can guarantee there will be people going with 33s that will and eventually hit the aftermarket to get them and end up spending roughly the same price or more.

Personally I am seeing more peer pressure to NOT go with SAS, than I am the other way.
All the people sticking with 33s are trying to convince everyone else they don't need the 35s. It's so vocal, it's almost like they are trying to justify their own decision.

If you can afford it, I think it's really this simple

Do you need 35s? If Yes, upgrade to SAS
Do you want 35s? If Yes, upgrade to SAS

All others stick with 33s
Just my .02, 4.70 gears should allow you to run 37s, for those looking to go bigger. I had a TJ with 35s with 4.55 gears and it brought it back to damn near stock.
Also, the cost of a professional, that really knows what he/she is doing, the cost of regearing BOTH axles, 5 quality wheels, quality rubber is gonna run alot more than 2500.

rmanecke

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83CJ / 87YJ Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At first I was 100% BL SAS because I knew how much work it took to lift a CJ/YJ to run 35s... and then correct everything 3 times until the steering, brakes, gearing, speedometer, etc... etc... all worked the way I wanted.

But... the more I read about it.. the more that I convinced myself that the BL was ready to go and would be relatively easy to upgrade to 35 inch tires (if even needed). The steering geometry, gearing, brakes, are all good. It might need a small lift (not sure). Correct me if I am wrong... but the axles, gearing, steering, brake calipers are the same on the BL with our without the SAS. We only know of different fenders and a tiny lift - is that correct?? Plus, the BL without SAS supposedly has more travel and articulation - with the short wheelbase of the 2 door doing tight bumpy slow speed turns in the woods (what we do) will probably be better on 33s versus 35s. Big tires have pros and cons - even off road. I am talking about the manual transmission and 2.3 L motor which comes with the 4.7 gear ratio.

The clincher is that the 2 door to me looks better with 33s, and, since I want a stick and I want it ASAP - I just went with the standard Badlands. The guys who I off-road with do fine on 33s and even 31s where we go.

If I was getting the four door... I might be more tempted to SAS it - due to looks alone. Or... if I was really dead set of having 35s or death - the SAS makes sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorDave

GatorDave

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At first I was 100% BL SAS because I knew how much work it took to lift a CJ/YJ to run 35s... and then correct everything 3 times until the steering, brakes, gearing, speedometer, etc... etc... all worked the way I wanted.

But... the more I read about it.. the more that I convinced myself that the BL was ready to go and would be relatively easy to upgrade to 35 inch tires (if even needed). The steering geometry, gearing, brakes, are all good. It might need a small lift (not sure). Correct me if I am wrong... but the axles, gearing, steering, brake calipers are the same on the BL with our without the SAS. We only know of different fenders and a tiny lift - is that correct?? Plus, the BL without SAS supposedly has more travel and articulation - with the short wheelbase of the 2 door doing tight bumpy slow speed turns in the woods (what we do) will probably be better on 33s versus 35s. Big tires have pros and cons - even off road.

The clincher is that the 2 door to me looks better with 33s, and, since I want a stick and I want it ASAP - I just went with the standard Badlands. The guys who I off-road with do fine on 33s and even 31s where we go.

If I was getting the four door... I might be more tempted to SAS it - due to looks alone. Or... if I was really dead set of having 35s or death - the SAS makes sense.
Total newb here, but sas gear ratio is different than BL non sas.

Reactions: RLW

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Total newb here, but sas gear ratio is different than BL non sas.
The 2.3 w/ MT gets you the 4.7 ratio w/o having to upgrade to squatch.
Sponsored