First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Tacoma, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We just came back from the Moab Off-Roadeo. Because our dog travels with us, we didn't even consider flying out. We pulled our small camping trailer/toy hauler with the Bronco from northern Minnesota all the way to Moab and back -- about 2,800 miles total. Thought some folks here might be interested in our impressions of the Bronc's towing capability.

A little background: We have a 6x12 cargo trailer/camper conversion that we use as a fully featured camper, and as a toy hauler for our two dual-sport motorcycles.

Ford Bronco Our 2 Door Bronco's Towing Performance BroncTowing.JPG

Ford Bronco Our 2 Door Bronco's Towing Performance CamperWithBikes
Ford Bronco Our 2 Door Bronco's Towing Performance CamperInterior

In the past, we towed it with our 2005 Ford F250 SuperDuty. Obviously, no problems towing! Because of the truck's age, we decided to retire it from towing cross-country. Last year when we towed the trailer out to Steamboat Springs, CO, we used my husband's 2022 Tacoma. The Tacoma pulled it, but the lack of torque was a real disappointment! So we decided to try towing with the Bronco, and we really hoped that we'd be pleased with the results. My Bronc is a 2-door Black Diamond Sasquatch, so we didn't know how the shorter wheelbase would affect the towing.

We were really shocked at how well the Bronco pulled the trailer!! Absolutely great performance on high-speed Interstates and going up and over the Rocky Mountains! We had no trouble maintaining whatever speed we wanted, AND.....we got 12-13 MPG, which we were really pleased with! The Bronco just made the whole towing experience effortless! We had also installed an Andersen Weight Distribution/AntiSway hitch, and that thing really works! The tongue weight was perfect, and there was absolutely no sway or bounce. The Bronco was just amazing as a tow vehicle!

The Off-Roadeo at Moab was a blast!! We had a great time, and met some really nice people. The next day we took our Bronco out into the canyons and did some exploring of our own. Moab is a pretty cool place!

Ford Bronco Our 2 Door Bronco's Towing Performance BroncoOnOnion.JPG
Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the write up. What is the weight of the trailer and tongue weight please? What hitch brand do you have. Thanks. I’m looking at pulling a small camper with my non-SAS Black Diamond 7mt.

OP
OP
WhatTheActual

WhatTheActual

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Tacoma, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the write up. What is the weight of the trailer and tongue weight please? What hitch brand do you have. Thanks. I’m looking at pulling a small camper with my non-SAS Black Diamond 7mt.
The trailer weight is probably about 2,500-2,700 pounds when loaded. The tongue weight is about 350. Our Bronco has the towing package, and we installed a brake controller.

The hitch we use is an Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch. It's amazing! The hitch is a different concept than most. Backing up and tight turns are not a problem, and it doesn't make any noise.

Sponsored

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thought that I'd reply since I have a '22 4 dr non-Sas BD w/2.3 and MT. My tear drop is a '23 Tag XL Boondock, weight of approx 1500 lbs + about 500 lbs of gear, tongue weight of approx 200. Ball mount is a Curt long shank w/3 balls, and it's very heavy duty and heavy (weighs about 50 lbs, I'd guess) and clears the spare tire allowing pretty sharp turns. Brake controller is a Curt wireless, and works flawlessly, although i do ziptie the connection from the 7 way to the controller, as I don't completely trust the little rubber tie. I have about 700 lbs in the Bronco while towing, and never dropped a gear while towing at 68-72 mph, even during steep hill ascents at 7500'+. MPG's dropped from 22.3 to about 18 while towing, so not too bad, and I hardly knew I was towing. Have about 2200 miles towing, 7500 overall. Hope this helps!

IMG_0273.jpg

Ggerobb

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 jeep grand cherokee laredo, 2022 bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thought I'd add to this one as I am totally impressed with the broncos abilities to handle the mtns of colorado with a trailer.
So I went out and bought a 21' KZ 2700lbs camper just before my 22' 4dr Black diamond with a 2.7ltr, w/tow package arrived. It handles Colorado's mtns with ease. I've been up a couple dirt hills that should have been a concern but it handled with no problems. The switch backs out by boulder were effortless. And I just took her to the off rodeo in texas a few months ago and while towing long distance was a little taxing on me the bronco handled it without problem. I get 11 to 12 mpg @70mph here in colorado down to 8mpg in texas( I think it's the altitude.)
Ford Bronco Our 2 Door Bronco's Towing Performance 20220903_100606

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You're missing an important detail in your write up... Engine and transmission.

Edit: Ford's 2.7L V6 w/ the 10-speed automatic is the same engine they use in F-150s, so of course it towed well 😉

FYSA your 7mt is paired with a smaller engine than the original post: 2.3L 4-cylinder

Sponsored

snick2301

Outer Banks
First Name
Niki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What drop did you order in the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch?

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey nice setup! We tow as well, trailer is 17', about 3500lbs fully loaded and 350lbs tongue weight. We use a curt weight distribution hitch which works awesome fully loaded. We're on 37s with the 2.7 and 10spd. Fully loaded with 220lbs of dogs, 350lbs of water, etc, we get 10.5mpg. Without any trailer we average 16-17mpg. And yes in the F150 the 2.7 engine is rated for up to 9k lbs!

Ford Bronco Our 2 Door Bronco's Towing Performance IMG_2770

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the write up. Been looking to get a hitch to tow a teardrop camper when I rent one.

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Actually, I do have a question. I did go ahead and get the Performance tuning software installed and see a noticeable difference in the torque and pickup. I assume this has no impact on towing capacity. Just checking.
Sponsored