Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout II, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Ford Performance calibration was added to my 2022 Badlands 2.3L with a manual. I need help finding information if the towing capacity increases with the added HP and lb.-ft of torque. Does anyone happen to know if the 3,500 is still the maximum?
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tow rating is primarily limited by suspension.

The Ranger can haul 7,500lbs with the same engine and base tune (I might be slightly off on numbers).

The tow limit remains the same.

Otherwise you’d see the 2.7’s with an increased capability out the box.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Like @Boreal said, it is not just the engine and transmission, its the whole vehicle system. Also note that the wrangler for 2024 gets a full floating dana 44 rear axle to increase its towing capacity to 5,000 lbs.

For whatever reason, probably having to do with the bronco coil over suspension and wheelbase, the ranger is rated higher with the same drivetrain, although it does get the 10r80 trans instead of the 10r60 in the bronco.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For towing limits the DOT looks at axle rated capacity. This is "legal" towing. The DOT only cares about the axles not breaking from overloading and brakes being able to stop the load. It is about the other people on the road, public safety, not your particular safety.

The manufacturer looks at axles, brakes, suspension, and engine cooling capacity and their bottom line with warranty claims and liability (as in them getting sued). Engine power is not on anybody's list to look at; well, the operator looks at it for comfort while driving.

The bronco is created for off-road use, not working on-road. It is limited by soft suspension and wheelbase. Also, as you can tell Ford limited the entire bronco line by the lowest common denominator, the two door with the smallest axles and cooling capacity.

With so many variations and factors that differ in the bronco line-up, the simplest thing to do for liability was to give the public one number to know/deal with.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tow rating is primarily limited by suspension.

The Ranger can haul 7,500lbs with the same engine and base tune (I might be slightly off on numbers).

The tow limit remains the same.

Otherwise you’d see the 2.7’s with an increased capability out the box.
Yep, it's limited by suspension as well as the chassis design. This is why they upgraded bracing for the tow receiver on the Bronco Raptors to increase the capacity. 🤠

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can now tow your 3500# trailers faster
Sponsored