First Name
Kathryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 79' Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi all, I am in the process of starting a mobile bar business and need to tow a 2600lb dry trailer (it is around 3400lbs wet/full). I am looking at 22 / 23 Broncos and want to ensure I get the right one. Can the Base and up models all tow 3500 in the full size Bronco? Any suggestions on the 22 vs the 23? Also, my biggest question: can I get away with a 4cyl over the v6 to save money? I am starting this business with loans and want to save where I can. I definitely want a 4 door for a longer wheelbase to have less tail wagging when I tow. I am hearing that the turbo 4 cylinder will potentially be sufficient? Thanks for any knowledge and experiences some of you may have had in towing with your Bronco! I can't wait to be a part of this club! Appreciate the time.
Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi all, I am in the process of starting a mobile bar business and need to tow a trailer 2600lb dry trailer (it is around 3400lbs wet/full). I am looking at 22 / 23 Broncos and want to ensure I get the right one. Can the Base and up models all tow 3500 in the full size Bronco? Any suggestions on the 22 vs the 23? Also, my biggest question: can I get away with a 4cyl over the v6 to save money? I am hearing that the turbo 4 cylinder will potentially be sufficient? Thanks for any knowledge. Appreciate the time!
I pull a pop up camper in the same weight ranges you describe, with my 23 Black Diamond. You should be fine. I have the manual 2.3 4cyl and have zero issues with its capabilities. Before Broncos were on dealer lots, I went and test drove a Ranger with the 2.3 4cyl and was pretty happy with how it performed. I'd do recommend doing that, if you can't find a Bronco to drive.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mobile bar business...brilliant! 3,500lb is max towing across all models. Tongue weight (max 300lb) is key so load will need to be properly distributed over the trailer axle(s). The 2.3 will do the job but you'd be better served with the 2.7 IMO.

beerbar

Outer Banks
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My 2.3L is rated for 3500 pounds max, this includes passengers etc. Go with the 2.7L

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2.3 is plenty to pull your trailer.

OP
OP

Kathryn1128

Base
First Name
Kathryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 79' Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the positive comments! Does anyone know the torque output on the 2.3 vs. the 2.7? Thanks!

OP
OP

Kathryn1128

Base
First Name
Kathryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 79' Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just want to offer you kudos for not asking if you can actually tow xxx lbs over the rated tow capacity.
LOL, thanks. My dad was a crane operator for most of his life...so I know better than to push a machine past its capability!

Sponsored

beerbar

Outer Banks
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I might be wrong but I think the max is due to the breaks and Frame? Not to do with your engine choice.
Not sure, but I was looking at this stuff yesterday and seen 3500 number under towing.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I was leaning to the 4 pop, I'd go for the stick...it'll be great.
If you want an auto, go 6....just my opin.

Love that your dad knows the rules!

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it might not be a bad idea to consider using a ranger instead if you don't need much off-road or lockable storage capacity.

the various flavors of the ranger are rated at 3500 and 7500 pounds depending on whether you go with a bumper tow point vs hitch tow point. the longer wheelbase (127") might also make towing easier.

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I might be wrong but I think the max is due to the breaks and Frame? Not to do with your engine choice.

I think it has more to do with springs and shocks.
The Bronco has about the same size brakes as the Colorado. The Colorado is heavier and tows 7700lbs.

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.3 is plenty powerful. The Ford Ranger with the 2.3/auto can tow up to 7,500 lbs. The Bronco Raptor has a 4,500 lb tow rating because it has an extra brace where the hitch mounts. The rest of us don’t get the brace because the muffler is in the way
Sponsored