Sponsored

Towing capacity poll

The towing limit is 3500# for 2 and 4 wheel Broncos. Where do you stand on this figure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do any of you have a camper that you're referring to towing? Like to go camping somewhere and leave the camper at base camp and go wheeling? Not talking a boat, utility trailer etc..
Mine is a 3000lb dry 19' Micro Minnie 1706fb. Yes, it's a basecamp trailer. Yank it as far as I can into the boonies with the V8 4runner 4WD (23g fuel tank, 7100lb tow capacity, factory ClassIV hitch), unhook and go wheeling.

No way I would haul it with the ClassII hitch Ford has now. The tongue weight would destroy that hitch. I don't see a way to add airbags to the Bronco rear also. The coilover setup prevents that. The 4Runner has separate coils and shocks, so you put airbags in the coil springs and the shocks do as you please. I think I'll be staying with the 10mpg when towing 4Runner.
Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it confirmed that the 2.3L and 2.7L are both 3500# towing capacity?

Really hoping the 2.7L will come in closer to 5000#.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sure enough, looked it up and I stand corrected.

Not sure I’d want to tow 7000 lbs with one though..... I could see getting into a situation where the tail wags the dog a bit too easily, but then again I’m not terribly experienced with towing and have never gone above 3000#s ?
I forget what my old Ranger has for towing capacity, but it's a fair bit. I can only haul a small load before it gets a bit sketchy.

If the old Bronco was released today, as is, I doubt the towing would still be 7000lbs.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is it confirmed that the 2.3L and 2.7L are both 3500# towing capacity?

Really hoping the 2.7L will come in closer to 5000#.
Yes at this point it is for all Broncos, although some on this forum are hoping for an update at a later time with an increased TC package. And to be clear the larger engine likely wouldn't increase the TC - it'll be limited by the suspension setup (and wheelbase on the two-door, maybe even the four door somewhat).

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes at this point it is for all Broncos, although some on this forum are hoping for an update at a later time with an increased TC package. And to be clear the larger engine likely wouldn't increase the TC - it'll be limited by the suspension setup (and wheelbase on the two-door, maybe even the four door somewhat).
True all that. Something that could give hope to tow people is Ford is only rolling out the prototypes right now and their market surveys showed towing was a low priority, as the poll indicates.

J2807 tow standards could and should be in their plans. The basic platform can easily handle 5000lbs with a real hitch on it instead of that crappy ClassII. Goofy to build a "Better than a Wrangler" SUV and not brag that it can tow 7000lbs (when properly equipped) to the trailhead.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Granger Ford do you have a good idea of how the average Joe can get these results (and the overall discussion) in front of FoMoCo?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Going to have to let the FE reservation go along with badlands. I was hoping the tow package actually added towing ability, like any other vehicle that has a aftermarket tow package.

I need at least A 5k lb. tow rating with the 2.7 V6 EB. i mean the F150 tows 9000 lbs, surely could’ve made the Bronco tow 5k lbs..

Heck a 2.3 EB ranger with tow package can tow 7.5k lbs.
I wholeheartedly agree about the Ranger and why not the Bronco. Yeah, yeah I read, but in reality you can tow more. I rather have Ford tell me I am good go. Enough of the rant.

Sponsored

BUCKN

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WILDTRAK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m not buying a 2nd vehicle to tow shit because someone in product or engineering was asleep at the wheel. A Subaru Outback can tow 3500lbs.

My preorder is teetering on a cancellation because SO FAR 1) this #launch is a complete #shitshow 2) tow rating 3) 110lb roof rack dynamic load limit 4) rear ac vents. I wonder what the actual percentage of reservations converted to orders will be.

If they plan on drip marketing for 6 months, guarantee it’ll be a business case of what not to do when launching a product. In my experience 3 is tough to sustain.

Defender 110 out due to reliability. 300 series LandCruiser has serious potential and can tow 8000lbs (maybe more with the new V6 TT). Hell the Cayenne S can tow 7700, good in the snow, air suspension makes it light off-road capable to some fishing holes and mtn bike trailheads.

Never owned a Ford and some of the decisions being made make me wonder if I ever will. Cant scale/grow the business if you keep selling to the same customers.
I’m on my fourth LR. Also have had 7 wranglers. No issues with any of them. LR’s are not service issues. My experience tells me that. Not the bad write ups from unhappy owners. I bought the WT because it does what both combined will do. I think they rated tow capacity low as a CYA.

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wanted to buy the Bronco instead of a Gladiator, but as of now that's out. I need to pull a 4400 lb (max load) cargo trailer. Want something fun that can do it.
Bought a Gladiator Rubicon; fits my usage perfectly. Rated to tow 7K lbs. Drove it home 600 miles of 2 lane and highway. Excellent road manners except for when it was windy!

Wishing everyone the best with their Broncos; anxious to see them on (and off) the road!
Sponsored