M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think it has more to do with springs and shocks.
The Bronco has about the same size brakes as the Colorado. The Colorado is heavier and tows 7700lbs.
It's the rear axle and springs. That's why the raptor can tow 4,500 and the Ranger 7,500 with the same engines/transmissions/brakes.
The Raptor also has additional frame bracing for the hitch.
Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it has more to do with springs and shocks.
The Bronco has about the same size brakes as the Colorado. The Colorado is heavier and tows 7700lbs.
It's a combination of frame, with brakes & suspension considered too, hell, even trans-cooling can be considered/upgraded in a truck's tow package (mostly HD trucks); the Raptor has frame and suspension upgrades for desert running that also increases it's towing capability.

From R&T:
" Where the real engineering lies in the Bronco Raptor, though, is in the chassis and suspension. Bronco Raptor's frame has been revamped with beefier shock towers, a B pillar crossbar, and C pillar reinforcement to handle all of the bumps, jumps, and abuse expected from Raptor drivers. Those upgrades also mean a 50-percent increase in torsional rigidity versus the standard Bronco."

Last edited:

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can the 2.3 do it, yes, but you would be better served with the 2.7.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi all, I am in the process of starting a mobile bar business and need to tow a 2600lb dry trailer (it is around 3400lbs wet/full). I am looking at 22 / 23 Broncos and want to ensure I get the right one. Can the Base and up models all tow 3500 in the full size Bronco? Any suggestions on the 22 vs the 23? Also, my biggest question: can I get away with a 4cyl over the v6 to save money? I am starting this business with loans and want to save where I can. I definitely want a 4 door for a longer wheelbase to have less tail wagging when I tow. I am hearing that the turbo 4 cylinder will potentially be sufficient? Thanks for any knowledge and experiences some of you may have had in towing with your Bronco! I can't wait to be a part of this club! Appreciate the time.
Just for the record, and to clarify what the tow ratings mean, here is the link to the Motortrend 2015 article describing the capacities that a vehicle must meet to qualify for the SAE J-2807 Tow Standard. The testing is rigorous, up a steep incline, and down again. History: before 2015, a Mfgr could (and did) set their own towing numbers. They were not equal across platforms. I was tow vehicle shopping in 2013-2014, the disparities and generous claims were amazing! The year the manufacturers voluntarily adopted compliance, many models stated tow capacity suddenly changed, down, as if by magic! Read:
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

PA BRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not to derail the the thread but a question for the OP...... Does a mobile bar require a liquor license like a fixed establishment? Cool idea. Just curious.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The limit is there because of two reasons

First is the coil over suspension is very soft, and very sensitive to how the trailer weight is distributed. This is the biggest difference between the Bronco and Ranger in how they will tow. It’s very easy to overextend your rear suspension trying to load a single axis trailer.

The second is that the hitch is just a glorified bumper hitch, so you can’t have a lot of weight on the tongue.

Any Bronco has more than enough power / torque / brakes to haul well past the weight limit - it’s just those two things that will hold you back.

Michigander

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don't forget about frontal area of the trailer. A large frontal area requires significantly more power (and therefore cooling capacity) to pull down the road at higher speeds.

Unfortunately, the only frontal area specs I could find were a bit confusing (it lists 20 sq ft for w/o trailer pkg, and 30 sq ft for raptor w/trailer pkg, but doesn't specify non-raptor w/trailer pkg).

Given that the trailer pkg is basically a hitch, it's probably safe to assume the limit for all non raptor is 20 Sq ft.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kathryn1128

Base
First Name
Kathryn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 79' Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not to derail the the thread but a question for the OP...... Does a mobile bar require a liquor license like a fixed establishment? Cool idea. Just curious.
Hi there! It does - but different requirements in each state. I see you are in PA. In CT it's a Catering license. :)

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I might be wrong but I think the max is due to the breaks and Frame? Not to do with your engine choice.
it is more of the suspension. The ranger frame is almost identical, has the same 2.3 and tow capacity starts at 5,500 lbs
Sponsored