Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to camp this year and take advantage of being able to work remotely. I love my Bronco (21 Badlands, Squatch, 4DR 2.7) but am struggling to find a good sized live-in camper that could be towed relatively safely.

If the limit is technically 3500lbs and a camper weighs 3500lbs dry, roughly 4100lbs loaded, is that truly above the limit? Also new to towing something other than small boats/jet skis but understand the basics. Any input would be so greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My wife and I plan to travel when I retire in 2 years, towing a small camper. The Bronco won't tow that much and we don't need a lot of room. We can put or kayaks and bikes on it too as a bonus. much. And we can't afford much. So we are going with this little camper. It only weights 1500 LBS so it should not bog the Bronco down too much.

Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) Small Camper 1

OP
OP
palley6

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would be ideal of course. My constraint is that I need a place to work on a computer so some sort of dinette and power (solar most likely or portable battery system).

SCB FabWorx

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cadillac CTS V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) a

I drag this setup around with no problems. Weight is approx. 3,600# trailer with Ranger on it.

c.jpg

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

There has to be a new / after market tow package that increase tow capacity. Has to be.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There has to be a new / after market tow package that increase tow capacity. Has to be.
Unless it completely redesigns the frame/chassis and suspension, I don't see how a different tow package is going to do anything to increase capacity.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless it completely redesigns the frame/chassis and suspension, I don't see how a different tow package is going to do anything to increase capacity.
The class of hitch and frame design are not limiting factors. Nor are either engine or transmission choice (7MT/Clutch not 100% sure, but it’s safe to assume it can handle more). The caveat is that the Ranger which utilizes a near similar frame and hitch can haul 7500lbs with the 2.3L and 10R80 - there’s a lot of assumptions going on. The 10R60 is only so strong as well, but 4000lbs shouldn’t be any issue.

The primary issue with the low tow capacity is simply due to the suspension setup and how softly sprung it is.

Perhaps going with a higher spring rate or adjustable coils might be the call. A higher rate with possibly more preload or a helper spring would reduce the squat but also negatively effect ride quality and articulation

Last edited:

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can throw some airbags on the back axle to stiffen up the suspension for towing but deflate for normal driving. Weight distribution hitches are also nice. However, nothing you do can raise the tow rating and GVWR. Therefore, if you are towing over the limit and get in a wreck, you could have liability issues.

I'm in the same boat as I am looking at travel trailers. The ones I like for my family are right around the tow rating, and would be a bit higher once loaded. Also keep an eye on tongue weight.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just playing devils advocate. Ive been towing for 30 years. If you tow above that rated capacity and get into an accident and hurt someone the first thing they will do is check weight of towed vehicle. Doesnt matter if you think you have upgraded the tow capacity on the tow vehicle. Unless it was verified by dot and new sticker is on vehicle you will be in trouble. Same will happen if dot pulls you in for weight check on highway. Ive gotten weighed twice in 30 years but it can happen.

op-3500 pounds is total weight wet,(everything in it).

Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The other issue will not be can it pull it, but can it stop it when it is needed. I watched a Toyota Tacoma pickup well over the limit try and stop fast, as it slid into the car in front of him that stopped. The police were looking at his door sticker as I was standing there waiting to tell what I saw. He was looking at something to the right of him in the cab when he looked up a bit to late.

I had a 2019 F150 Raptor that had a lower tow rating than a regular F150 based on suspension, and a few other things.

If you want to a trailer to camp in for longer than a weekend, I would recommend getting a small truck or a F150 to pull it. That way you can go bigger and have a lot more comfort as you work from home.

SCB FabWorx

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cadillac CTS V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whatever you do,you will need an extended hitch bar to clear the spare tire. Mine has a 4" drop and it makes everything sit nice and level.
Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) e

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are only going to travel with the trailer and leave it at a camp site while you explore the trails in the Bronco. I am looking at getting this Coleman Lantern LT 17B. 2986lbs dry weight. Just watch how you load it and the bronco. I am sure you can keep it under 3500lbs or right at the limit to stay legal. The Bronco has no issues pulling it and the curt wireless brake controller worked beautifully for me. I see many jeeps pulling this RV as well and they have the same towing capacity as the bronco.
Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) 280739739_3339365602959413_7164269951984772062_n

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Its all about how much squat you want when towing. The frame, engine and transmission are all shared with the Ranger, however the suspension is not. Same reason why my F150 Lariat (up to 13,200lbs) has a higher towing rating then the F150 Raptor (6,000 to 8000lbs).

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not every Bronco has a 3,500 pound towing capacity. Badlands and Black Diamond (due to the skid plate weights) generally have lower capacities.

Of course, this guide has errors. Even Ford doesn't have the correct rear axle for a 2 door Badlands with a 7MT. The only rear axle is 4.7 gearing. It should be 3,500 pounds of towing capacity for a 2 door 7MT Badlands. And they forgot about the ManSquatch option.
Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) 1675098538756
Sponsored