Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like others I’ve said. 4Lo for maneuvering a camp site will help. On the street, you’ll be fine. I’ve towed 1500 lbs with a 6 speed cruze with gearing that was terrible for towing and i could barely tell it was back there. It would maintain 80 anywhere without much of a fight, and never had a problem taking off at a light...even on big hills.
Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know it wasn't what you asked but others answered already. But do help yourself and load it correctly. Look up towing stuff online if you need to. I've only towed in a manual once and it was in Iraq but that's a long story!

OP
OP
Rustytuna

Rustytuna

Base
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Base
For sure. Scamp is coming April 2022 and Bronco... who knows. So I’ve got some
Time to research.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What has been said about shifting to 4LO when backing. That helps tremendously.

The other thing to consider is that the top two gears are actually overdrive gears. 6 may be useable on flat ground but 7 will most likely not be used when towing. Bogging a turbo’ed motor is not good and you are likely to see temps rise.

The 10-speed auto is a fantastic transmission to tow with. I’ve got it behind my 3.5EB in my F150. It does some great things with engine braking to help control downhill speed. I’ve came down Vail Pass several times towing a loaded trailer and hardly had to use the brakes.

I’m getting the manual but if you plan to tow a lot, I’d seriously consider the automatic.

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For sure. Scamp is coming April 2022 and Bronco... who knows. So I’ve got some
Time to research.
Is the 4/22 Scamp timing due to their build lead time? I'm just curious, I was interested in them before I bought the Winnebago, but I wasn't able to get a good look at one at the time.

OP
OP
Rustytuna

Rustytuna

Base
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty close to it, yes.

We ordered a few weeks ago and they were mid February 2022 but I didn’t want to pick up a trailer in Minnesota in the middle of winter for my first towing experience so I asked for the April date.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should be able to drop it in 4LO for backing into spots and probably just work the clutch pedal without touching the gas at all. I'd do that when backing heavy trailers up my driveway just for the finer control even though it was an automatic.
LAWDY, that's a gorgeous Full Size in your avatar!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had several manuals including a 5.0l Bronco and towed with them regularly. Not a problem up to the tow limit. Take it easy, practice in low stress situations and you will be fine.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well said, I do same when backing trailer into a campsite or my garage with m/t Tacoma I’’m in 4low which makes things a lot easier
Us as well. We have a very steep driveway and use 4Lo for both backing up and pulling it down. It's smooth like butter both ways.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Us as well. We have a very steep driveway and use 4Lo for both backing up and pulling it down. It's smooth like butter both ways.
Interesting - I will have to try this the next time I am backing the boat up the driveway into the garage. It will probably save a little clutch.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes definitely, you mean 1st.... this is a 6 speed w/ a granny gear. You won't be using the crawl gear in daily driving unless you want to learn how to double clutch. It most likely is not a helical cut gear, just like reverse.
Did you mean me or @Rustytuna ?

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Being someone who has towed either a 5th wheel or trailer for 50 years, and driven professionally for 15 of those, if you plan to tow a trailer with your Bronco get the automatic, much less wear and tear on clutch, engine, and running gear. You will get tired of shifting fast, and taking off from a stop, especially on hills will be a challenge if you are not experienced in towing. I have driven everything from 15 speed road rangers with 2 speed axles to Allison 8 speed double 'H' manual shift auto's and Flex buses, and I much prefer a full Auto when towing. Just my .02

Last edited:

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone experience towing with a manual? I imagine the crawler gear would help but I am having concerns with maneuvering/reversing a 1,700lb trailer (13ft Scamp) into camp sites or storage. I would prefer the manual but since this would be a primary duty for the Bronco, I am wondering if i should go with an automatic.
Back in the 80’s we towed a 13’ Scamp with a VW Rabbit 4 speed with no problems. We then towed it with a 85 Bronco II 5 speed as well as a 19’ cuddly cabin (3500 lbs on trailer). You just need to learn how to not abuse the clutch.

OP
OP
Rustytuna

Rustytuna

Base
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did the Scamp weigh more than the rabbit? Thats incredible. I would have loved to see that. Any photos?

Edit: if you towed it with a rabbit, i should be able to tow it with my 6 speed miata! :p
Sponsored

Last edited: