First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your mother should have fed you less when you were young 😀. I am exactly 6 ft and agree, anything past 6'2" becomes problematic for in vehicle sleeping without passe her seat deletes.
Agree. I am 6'1" and it is about the limit to sleep comfortably in the back, and (at least for me) I have to sleep on the passenger side. The hump on the tailgate door takes away a valuable 2-3" of sleeping space on the driver side.

Have not done car camping with the wife yet, when that happens will most likely have to use a ground tent to have enough room to store all the extra gear. But for solo car camping, sleeping inside the 4 door is the cheapest and simplest path. I can keep a cooler, hunting gear, clothing, sleeping stuff, and cooking gear with plenty of room to spare.

Emmitt

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really tried hard to find a way to sleep in the Bronco, but couldn't make it work being 6'4" :)
I am 5'9" and have slept in both my Bronco with the Deep Sleep System and a RTT. With that said the RTT works best for me. I look at it as whatever works best for you is your best solution.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Deepsleep overland mattress - Zero Degree bag - non foam pillow - Little Buddy Propane Heater mainly for January - February in the mornings.

Sponsored

beepee24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan altima cp
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Deepsleep overland mattress - Zero Degree bag - non foam pillow - Little Buddy Propane Heater mainly for January - February in the mornings.
This is my method as well... given I also have a softtop so the RTT isn't exactly possible. Which Little Buddy propane heater do you use and where do you put it? my fear is that it will melt something lol And I'm assuming ventilation is needed....?

Meraki Hammocks

Big Bend
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr 2.3l 7 speed Big Bend Cactus Gray Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well thought out. I'll be getting a pair of booties. I have had my Wiggy's sleeping bag since the late 80's. For my hammock, I use an underquilt and an overquilt. My quilts use the same insulation as Wiggy does for his bags. I stay toasty warm. Great tips. I am going to have to look at small heaters. Thanks for making the video.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is my method as well... given I also have a softtop so the RTT isn't exactly possible. Which Little Buddy propane heater do you use and where do you put it? my fear is that it will melt something lol And I'm assuming ventilation is needed....?
I use this heater and put it somewhere I know it isn't going to be knocked over by myself or my dog. Needing to vent is a split argument with alot of people stating it isn't necessary.

This heater will shut off due to low oxygen and will also cut off if tipped over. The run time is 5.5 hours on a one pound tank and takes up hardly any space compared to the bigger units.

Screenshot_20240221-050956.png

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well thought out. I'll be getting a pair of booties. I have had my Wiggy's sleeping bag since the late 80's. For my hammock, I use an underquilt and an overquilt. My quilts use the same insulation as Wiggy does for his bags. I stay toasty warm. Great tips. I am going to have to look at small heaters. Thanks for making the video.
Sounds like a nice set up to me. There's no going back to any other bag than Wiggy's!

Elliot-A51

Outer Banks
First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco OBX Sasq
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I camped in the Bronco near Teton a few weeks ago and it got to 7F that night and I stayed comfortable. I had a heated blanket if needed but actually never even had to plug it in. With that said, I had a -20 sleeping bag and a bunch of big soft comforters and blankets both on top of me and between the inflatable Amazon Bronco air mattress to keep the heat in. Despite attempts to have pads ubder the air mattress to level it, I did not quite succeed so I found the hump down mid-back uncomfortable, but additional padding (I have since added a thick pet bed that seemed the right height) should sort that. I did have window covers that kept in the heat some as well.

I can absolutely see that being tall (or wanting two people in there) would be a major issue as I am 5'9" and still found it more comfortable to put my pillow on the armrest between the driver and pass seat so I wasn't cramped against the swing gate.

I plan to do a mix in the future so just ordered a RTT. However I don't think there will be any easy way for my two Wolfhounds to get in the RTT so when they come and I have the spouse and kid I will definitely have some hybrid tent/Bronco/RTT situation. When alone I don't anticipate putting the RTT on as then I can fit more storage boxes on the roof, but otherwise it'll be a mix with lots of blankets, electric blankets available, and good quality sleeping bags

Sponsored
OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I camped in the Bronco near Teton a few weeks ago and it got to 7F that night and I stayed comfortable. I had a heated blanket if needed but actually never even had to plug it in. With that said, I had a -20 sleeping bag and a bunch of big soft comforters and blankets both on top of me and between the inflatable Amazon Bronco air mattress to keep the heat in. Despite attempts to have pads ubder the air mattress to level it, I did not quite succeed so I found the hump down mid-back uncomfortable, but additional padding (I have since added a thick pet bed that seemed the right height) should sort that. I did have window covers that kept in the heat some as well.

I can absolutely see that being tall (or wanting two people in there) would be a major issue as I am 5'9" and still found it more comfortable to put my pillow on the armrest between the driver and pass seat so I wasn't cramped against the swing gate.

I plan to do a mix in the future so just ordered a RTT. However I don't think there will be any easy way for my two Wolfhounds to get in the RTT so when they come and I have the spouse and kid I will definitely have some hybrid tent/Bronco/RTT situation. When alone I don't anticipate putting the RTT on as then I can fit more storage boxes on the roof, but otherwise it'll be a mix with lots of blankets, electric blankets available, and good quality sleeping bags
What RTT did you go with? Some brands have an annex that may suite you well for the "everyone's going" situation.
Ford Bronco OVERLANDING: How I Stay Warm At Night. How Do You? Untitled desi

Elliot-A51

Outer Banks
First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco OBX Sasq
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What RTT did you go with? Some brands have an annex that may suite you well for the "everyone's going" situation.
Ford Bronco OVERLANDING: How I Stay Warm At Night. How Do You? Untitled desi
I went with the Roam Vagabond XL and did indeed get the annex for it as well. Just impatiently waiting for it to arrive now to give it a try