Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As weird as they look, the booties are a good touch! I too snow camp and my feet ALWAYS get cold. You also got it right on the money, no need for a fancy diesel heater or expensive full-time heaters (though they are nice). The key is to warm up the space and dress down to appropriate winter sleeping gear (thermal and layers). Then bundle up and turn the heater off. In the morning, turn that heater back on, warm up the space, and then get out and dress up for the day!

Also, you look like a fireman or an LT haha, I like it. If so, TYFYS.

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As weird as they look, the booties are a good touch! I too snow camp and my feet ALWAYS get cold. You also got it right on the money, no need for a fancy diesel heater or expensive full-time heaters (though they are nice). The key is to warm up the space and dress down to appropriate winter sleeping gear (thermal and layers). Then bundle up and turn the heater off. In the morning, turn that heater back on, warm up the space, and then get out and dress up for the day!

Also, you look like a fireman or an LT haha, I like it. If so, TYFYS.
Thank you for the comments. Honestly I've never had a cold night with this system. In fact, I look forward to going to bed at night. All this stuff takes of very little room and the weight is low.

You are correct, I've worked for the fire department for 23 years :)

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Way too complicated for my taste. From my point of view RTTs are devices that a) cost too much b) are insufficient quality given how much they cost c) flop in strong winds d) may or may not leak in the rain e) are subject to condensation on the interior surfaces that get your sleeping gear wet f) are an unnecessary hassle to out up and tear down daily especially if you arrive in camp late and leave early g) are used with insufficient frequency to justify the mpg hit they produce. The very reason I replaced the Jeep with the Bronco is because I can comfortably sleep in the back and be completely protected from the elements, take 2 mins to set up and 1 min to tear down, and be considerably warmer than a tent in the cold.

I have slept in the back of the Bronco multiple nights in a row down to 0F with nothing more than a 20F down sleeping back, a few layers of clothing, and a self inflating sleeping pad with a modest R factor. A 0F sleeping bag can be better when the temps drop below 10F but not required if you have an extra layer of clothes - as you always should when the temps are that cold. Last but not least, I use remote start in the morning to start the engine and run the AC for 5 mins to take the edge off the interior temp prior to crawling out of the sleeping bag. Not necessary to stay warm but easy to do and more pleasant so why not.

This setup creates a problem when the temps are above 50F. In their infinite wisdom, Ford made the doors frameless. Besides the ridiculous floppy windows, this makes it difficult to put up a noseeum net across the windows and ensure adequate ventilation. The $5 fix with gutter guards kinda works but not nearly as well as if you roll down all 4 windows and slip a mesh sock on the door frames. Why Ford, why?

My setup
1) DeepSleep leveling mat
2) Cheap Amazon (allegedly) self inflatable mat
3) 20F quilt above 40F, 20F sleeping bag down to 20F, and 0F sleeping bag below that
4) Generously sized inflatable pillow
5) Inflatable gap filler or two Dometic water jugs

I always park the car at about 2 degrees downhill, which prevents me from sliding towards the tailgate.

Sponsored
OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Way too complicated for my taste. From my point of view RTTs are devices that a) cost too much b) are insufficient quality given how much they cost c) flop in strong winds d) may or may not leak in the rain e) are subject to condensation on the interior surfaces that get your sleeping gear wet f) are an unnecessary hassle to out up and tear down daily especially if you arrive in camp late and leave early g) are used with insufficient frequency to justify the mpg hit they produce. The very reason I replaced the Jeep with the Bronco is because I can comfortably sleep in the back and be completely protected from the elements, take 2 mins to set up and 1 min to tear down, and be considerably warmer than a tent in the cold.

I have slept in the back of the Bronco multiple nights in a row down to 0F with nothing more than a 20F down sleeping back, a few layers of clothing, and a self inflating sleeping pad with a modest R factor. A 0F sleeping bag can be better when the temps drop below 10F but not required if you have an extra layer of clothes - as you always should when the temps are that cold. Last but not least, I use remote start in the morning to start the engine and run the AC for 5 mins to take the edge off the interior temp prior to crawling out of the sleeping bag. Not necessary to stay warm but easy to do and more pleasant so why not.

This setup creates a problem when the temps are above 50F. In their infinite wisdom, Ford made the doors frameless. Besides the ridiculous floppy windows, this makes it difficult to put up a noseeum net across the windows and ensure adequate ventilation. The $5 fix with gutter guards kinda works but not nearly as well as if you roll down all 4 windows and slip a mesh sock on the door frames. Why Ford, why?

My setup
1) DeepSleep leveling mat
2) Cheap Amazon (allegedly) self inflatable mat
3) 20F quilt above 40F, 20F sleeping bag down to 20F, and 0F sleeping bag below that
4) Generously sized inflatable pillow
5) Inflatable gap filler or two Dometic water jugs

I always park the car at about 2 degrees downhill, which prevents me from sliding towards the tailgate.
I certainly explored the option of sleeping in the Bronco, but I'm way to tall. The rooftop tent is perfect for me. I love it and will never go back to a ground tent. There's several factors that will either make you love or hate your RTT. I've learned through success and failures what to look for. The number one thing that will make you hate your tent is size and weight. Keep it as light as possible and as small as possible. Under 140 pounds is what I recommend. That way you can remove it easily and it won't throw off the characteristics of the vehicle.

I run the iKamper BDV Solo and it check both of those boxes. No leaks in the rain and doesn't build up any more condensation that other systems. Set up is less that a minute and take down is about 2 minutes (wedge style is the way to go.) wedges keep the sides tight to combat wind. Mine is permanently bolted on since it's so small and light. Doesn't effect the vehicle at all. Just a touch of wind noise. As for the middle of the night restroom trips, I keep a hospital urinal up there. One trip up the ladder and one down in the morning. It's wonderful and I always look forward to going to bed.

There's something kid like about a rooftop tent. I can't explain it, but it's just fun being up there :)
Ford Bronco OVERLANDING: How I Stay Warm At Night. How Do You? Untitled desi

Ford Bronco OVERLANDING: How I Stay Warm At Night. How Do You? Untitled design (1)

Last edited:

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I certainly explored the option of sleeping in the Bronco, but I'm way to tall. The rooftop tent is perfect for me. I love it and will never go back to a ground tent. There's several factors that will either make you love or hate your RTT. I've learned through success and failures what to look for. The number one thing that will make you hate your tent is size and weight. Keep it as light as possible and as small as possible. Under 140 pounds is what I recommend. That way you can remove it easily and it won't throw off the characteristics of the vehicle.
Your mother should have fed you less when you were young 😀. I am exactly 6 ft and agree, anything past 6'2" becomes problematic for in vehicle sleeping without passe her seat deletes.

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your mother should have fed you less when you were young 😀. I am exactly 6 ft and agree, anything past 6'2" becomes problematic for in vehicle sleeping without passe her seat deletes.
I really tried hard to find a way to sleep in the Bronco, but couldn't make it work being 6'4" :)

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice set up! I'm still tweaking mine. But I just picked up one of those heated throws. I like using a UCO triple candle lantern for a little extra heat.

Scoop

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badsquatch, '74, '76, & '78 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice and informative video. We boondocked on top of Hancock Pass CO a couple years ago and woke up to 16 degrees F! Wish I had had all your equipment then! Had to sleep fully clothed in about 3 layers to keep reasonably warm. I currently use a ground tent but everything you show would still apply.

I enjoy your videos, please keep posting them!

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As weird as they look, the booties are a good touch! I too snow camp and my feet ALWAYS get cold.
I agree. Hadn't seen the booties like that before. You have to keep your feet warm or there is no getting warm thereafter. For your cold snow feet, change your socks. You won't realize it, but your feet will sweat & then get cold. You have to keep them dry.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why Ford, why?
Ford's reason was that framed doors were more bulky to manage and didn't fit in the back of the vehicle. It was likely the answer to Wrangler owners' complaints about having to chain their doors to trees. :) Had the Bronco been given framed doors, there would be a bunch of people talking about the problems of dealing with removal and no on-board storage and saying, "Why, Ford, why?" just like you. 😁

With every design, there are always pros and cons. I've never needed a noseeum net, so a frameless door is not a negative for that reason. Likely if Ford finds most people would rather have framed doors, the 7th gen would get them. But I wouldn't expect any change before then.

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My secret to staying warm, while Overlanding is finding a Holiday Inn express. It works every time.
.........THen when you wake the next day you can literally accomplish "ANYTHING!!!" - cause you slept at a Holiday INN Express the night before ;)

OP
OP
B Miller

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice and informative video. We boondocked on top of Hancock Pass CO a couple years ago and woke up to 16 degrees F! Wish I had had all your equipment then! Had to sleep fully clothed in about 3 layers to keep reasonably warm. I currently use a ground tent but everything you show would still apply.

I enjoy your videos, please keep posting them!
Thank you, I appreciate your kind words. I enjoy participating in the Bronco community. Great group of people.

With the set up in the video, I regularly sleep in 10 degree weather in the desert. I've never woke in the middle of the night cold. The toughest part is getting out of the tent in the morning!

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thx for the tip on the hospital urinal! Just ordered one. Enjoyed your video even though I’m still in my 30yo backpacking tent.
Sponsored