Sponsored

Portable electric impact driver - Who carries one ?

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There's a meme that talks about guys and their power tool brand....but yeah, pick one and run with it. Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc all good and all last. Home Depot and Lowes both have their "store" brand. But you can find most brands at any of the big box stores.

(I'm a DeWalt guy myself).
Sponsored

Iamthedan1989

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I keep a little 12v Makita impact in the under cargo area next to the tool kit. It's enough to take off the hardtop bolts and put em back on. Same with the other interior items, without destroying them.

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Powerbuilt makes a 12v impact wrench unit designed for removing lug nuts. Works like a charm. You can find it on Amazon or through Motley Industries

OP
OP

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Powerbuilt makes a 12v impact wrench unit designed for removing lug nuts. Works like a charm. You can find it on Amazon or through Motley Industries

This is actually what I initially looked at and why I started the thread ! Seems though that the general recommendation is a battery powered impact driver.

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is actually what I initially looked at and why I started the thread ! Seems though that the general recommendation is a battery powered impact driver.
If you want to use it as an impact driver on fasteners other than lug nuts, it might not be the best choice. But if you just need it to knock loose lug nuts, it's a great compact tool for that purpose.

Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've noticed that Lowes, Home Depot, and my local Ace Hardware are often competitive with Amazon.

Enginerd

Badlands
First Name
Jani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5 Sportback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems to me the primary question OP had was who carries a portable impact...secondary for recommendations.

This quickly became about brand loyalty and so on, but I would love to hear more about use cases other than lug nuts. Practical on the trail repairs where you would not care what brand gang you were in...but that you had one with you because it saved your A$$

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't use an impact very often - seems wherever I'm working on the Bronco and it would come in handy, I can't get it to fit anyway. So I end up cavemanning just about everything. (Cheater on a breaker bar is your friend)

That also goes for carrying one around. When I've had to change the spare, it's just 9 lug nuts ... not worth it to me carrying around an impact just on the off chance I ever need to do that. If I'm rotating the tires at home though, absolutely I use one. I just don't carry it around.

I do have one in my toolbox, but I generally only load up my toolbox if I'm going to need it at a job site, not out for wheeling.

OP
OP

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems to me the primary question OP had was who carries a portable impact...secondary for recommendations.

This quickly became about brand loyalty and so on, but I would love to hear more about use cases other than lug nuts. Practical on the trail repairs where you would not care what brand gang you were in...but that you had one with you because it saved your A$$

Hate to say it but lug nuts was my primary reason for asking. I don't do enough hard core wheeling where I think I need an impact wrench for much else but certainly there are other people (and other reasons for carrying one) that clearly have a need.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

The OP never asked about practical repairs on the trail. Perhaps read the OP next time, most answers here were on the mark, unlike yours.
Sponsored