First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I drove an 11' JKUR for 6 years, mostly stock, had a few different problems. Late last year I rented a new JL 4 door for a couple days after flying into L.A., the steering was so bad, I decided right then to not buy a JL. It might have been an abused rental vehicle, so not representative, but it only had about 18k miles on it, IIRC. The JL I rented could not be driven safely above maybe 65 mph, I was glad to return it. For reference I'm not a young guy, I've driven many different sorts of vehicles, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, forklifts, bobcats, etc. From what I've read, if a person buys enough very high quality, very expensive aftermarket parts, the JL front steering can be fixed, but I don't want to have to spend my time on that on a new vehicle. I still think the JL Rubi's are better looking than any Bronco, but until Jeep fixes the front steering for sure, I'm staying away.
Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have 2 JLs and havent had any issues with them. Like what was stated the JL is a serious upgrade over the JK. I was going to buy another JK when I traded my last one in, but after driving the JL I said no way. It was 7k more but wayyyyy worth it. I love the way they drive with the SFA setup.
Keep in mind one one knows how the Bronco will drive.....Ok maybe a few people, but we are speculating at this point that the Bronco will drive that much better.
A base Bronco is a good deal especially with the Sasquatch package. I dont think you will find a jeep that comes close, but also keep in mind that you can usually haggle quite a bit off a jeep if you do your homework.

Last edited:

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I test drove a 2 door JL on 35” muds a little bit ago and it felt everything but stable. There was no chance I was taking it on the freeway so I can’t comment on higher speeds. The side to side movement over bumps/grooves and fighting the steering wheel to keep it straight were the two things that really bothered me. The slow steering response was expected with 35s. I drove my buddy’s JK on 33 ATs in college and it didn’t feel that way so maybe the JL I test drove was just off somehow.

Either way, I do think my expectations for the ride quality were stupid high because I’ve been driving a Charger on Eibach springs and shocks for almost 2 years.

@csj Your experience with the JL sounds very similar to mine. I’m not exaggerating in the least bit when I tell you I would have parked that thing on the side of the road before driving it on a wet highway. It was an odd feeling that I’ve never felt with any other vehicle.

Edit: I want to be clear though, the Wrangler is an awesome vehicle so I’m not trying to throw shade. Aside from those two issues I mentioned, I loved the truck. I just wouldn’t daily it.

Last edited:

chicknwithabeer

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon unlimited 2015 Ford f150 3.5 E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 18 JL Rubicon with 37's, DD no issues. Ford rep doesn't know if the 10 speaker B&O sounds half as good as my Alpine. Just sat in the 21 F150 with the 18 speaker Unleashed B&O not sure if it sounds as good as the Jeep. I have a 2020 edge that sits at home while we take the Jeep on trips. I've got a Bronco on res but I'm opting out when it comes in. Gonna wait til 22 or 23 to see what else is in the works. I'd hate like hell to get a Badlands and then here comes the Ole Warthawg.

Wahoowa

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Google crash tests from earlier this year and watch videos. Flipped more than once, and FCA even helped stage second set of crash tests. That’s an issue - hard pass for me with kids in back.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Join tread lightly org, pay $100 membership and get 1% under invoice on a Jeep. Mighty ford only does a stingy .4%

Jeep steering box is now cast iron, peeps gonna have to find something else to tell stories about.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's not correct. "Peeps" are still having issues with JL steering today, even with the latest steering box. Check out a certain JL forum, look under "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls", or "Suspension, Steering, Chassis". Hundreds of posts dedicated to the current problem.

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a 19 JLUR with electrical and possible transmission problems. Was hoping to keep it until the delivery of the Bronco but couldn't stand dealing with it and the dealers. Never had issues with steering though.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't understand how normal SFA behavior on road at highway speed is considered a defect.

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't understand how normal SFA behavior on road at highway speed is considered a defect.
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand ?

But seriously, I bought a 2012 Wrangler Sport brand new off the dealer lot in 2012. Over the course of the 6 years I owned it, I only had 2 issues. I had an idler pulley die about 4 months into ownership and I had the passenger cylinder head replaced. Both were under warranty and the head was a TSB campaign.

I never had an issue with death wobble even after I put a 2.5" lift and 33s on it. I drove it from Florida to Idaho pulling a teardrop camper. I never thought it felt unsafe. The 6 speed manual was OK.

I have no experience with the JLs so I can't comment but my '12 with the 3.6L and 6 speed was rock solid for 6 years ?‍♂

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2 door JL with duratracs 33s and a 4 door JL with 35" duratracs. Agreed road manners are not as good as an IFS rig, but there arent too many IFS rigs that you can throw 35s on. I had a JKU before.... I had a 1999 XJ with a 4" lift and a 2000 durango with the torsion bars cranked all the way and shackles to get 2 inches and 33s....The JL is much better in terms of power, handling than any of those vehicles ever were.

Last edited:

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks. I went back and fixed that. I meant to say SFA.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve had my JLUR for over 2 years. I have 16,000 miles on it. At 7,000 miles I had the Mopar lift and 35’s put on it. Overall I love the vehicle. It isn’t my daily. It’s a fun vehicle. We have driven to Tennessee twice 15+ hours one way. The only thing I don’t like about it is the constant correcting while driving. It’s either gotten better or I’ve gotten used to it because it doesn’t seem as bad as when I first got it. Anyway, I love the Jeep and it isn’t going anywhere!

My wife had a JK, but traded that in on a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. When the Bronco was announced, I joined this forum thinking it might be the perfect vehicle for her. More comfortable and better driving than a Wrangler, but with the ability to drive topless and doorless. After seeing what’s happening with the top and interior of the Bronco, I am more than happy to wait until the next model year to see if they offer more options.
Sponsored