Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last night someone “broke” into my Bronco. It is almost always parked in the garage, but last night I left it outside on the street because our other car happened to be blocking the driveway. Pure laziness on my part which I now regret. I’m pretty sure I locked the Bronco as I’m a creature of habit, but can’t be 100% certain. I did have the front and middle roof panels off.

When I went to move it into the garage this morning, I saw the contents of the center glove box spilled all over the passenger seat. When I turned the car on, I got the warning that the trunk door was open. I then noticed that my gym bag was stolen from the trunk. Not a big deal except I’m pretty sure my earbuds were in the bag as I can’t find them now.

What I can’t figure out is, if I had the doors locked, then the only way for the thief to get in would have been to climb into the car from the open roof. But if he didn’t have a key on him, wouldn’t the anti-theft system trigger an alarm (if the Bronco comes with one) or prevent him from unlocking the doors/trunk? I suppose he could have climbed into the trunk from the backseat and grabbed the bag and climbed back out from the roof. But how was the trunk door open?

To test this, I had my daughter sit in the backseat of the car, closed all the doors, and locked the car. I walked away about 15 feet and she still was able to unlock the door from inside. No alarm or disabling feature. We tried from the front seat and she was able to unlock all doors (including the trunk) using the lock/unlock button.

That got me thinking: how useful would the Ford trunk enclosure (or Diabolical Slipstream) be when you’re running without the roof. I know those rely on the trunk door remaining locked to be effective. But if someone can just climb in and hit the unlock button, they can just open the trunk. Even easier if the windows are rolled down as they can just reach in and push the button.

Maybe there is a setting I’m missing or need to enable? Or am I just thinking about this all wrong? Any guidance would be appreciated as I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Slipstream.
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope. You are not missing anything. The unlock button does exactly what it is supposed to do, unlock the doors.

OP
OP

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So if that’s the case, the trunk “security” enclosures are essentially meaningless if you’re running the vehicle topless. Once someone is in the car, they don’t have to worry about being blocked from accessing the trunk from the top or by folding down the back seats. They just unlock the car and open the trunk door.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Kach Vartan you are correct. There is no car I am aware of that will prevent someone from unlocking the vehicle from the inside for safety reasons unless that particular door has a child safety lock.
You could get a 3rd party alarm installed with motion or shock sensors that would sound if someone gets in the vehicle when the alarm is set, but I don't believe any alarms would lock the doors entrapping a person or otherwise preventing them from getting out while inside. The alarm would just be to alert you or for other people to get annoyed with and ignore.
If you were planning on using the Slipstream, that is unfortunately one of the ways to get around its security. You may be better off with a cargo security drawer for that reason.

turbocc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@Kach Vartan you are correct. There is no car I am aware of that will prevent someone from unlocking the vehicle from the inside for safety reasons unless that particular door has a child safety lock.
You could get a 3rd party alarm installed with motion or shock sensors that would sound if someone gets in the vehicle when the alarm is set, but I don't believe any alarms would lock the doors entrapping a person or otherwise preventing them from getting out while inside. The alarm would just be to alert you or for other people to get annoyed with and ignore.
If you were planning on using the Slipstream, that is unfortunately one of the ways to get around its security. You may be better off with a cargo security drawer for that reason.
Perimeter Plus is the OEM system with vibration sensor. When the scumbag went through the roof, the alarm would go off & starter disable would kick in.
The regular alarm should do this, but alas it's all about $$.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well. I was surprised one day when I went to open my door and it was locked. No fob on me, so I merely reached in(window was down) to unlock and the damn horn started blaring! It works.

OP
OP

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well. I was surprised one day when I went to open my door and it was locked. No fob on me, so I merely reached in(window was down) to unlock and the damn horn started blaring! It works.
When I tried this with my daughter remaining in the car after locking the doors (via key fob), she was able to manually unlock from inside and open doors. No alarm. I wonder if the car senses that there was an occupant still in the vehicle?

I’ll try your approach in a bit. If it does set off the alarm, it’s an improvement and makes the security enclosures slightly more effective I suppose.

GLOCK10MM

Raptor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2015 & 2004 2500 CUMMINGS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Are there any alarm adjustments that can be made via the info system ?

THEMANatwar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 F150 Flareside, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe try to unlock it without someone remaining in the vehicle. It may sense someone is in there and allow the doors to be unlocked.

BH_TX

Badlands
First Name
Brennon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Yukon 1500, 1997 Dodge RAM Sport 1500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From my understating and testing, if you lock it with the fob (or app), this sets the alarm, and if you then reach in and open door, alarm will sound shortly if you don’t start it (or unlock from fob). A message on dash screen pops up "Vehicle Alarm - To Stop Alarm, Start Vehicle".

There is also a setting called “switch inhibit”. This is found in settings, vehicle, locks, switch inhibit. (Prevent the vehicle from being unlocked from inside). With this enabled, if the car is locked and someone reaches in to unlock it won’t allow them to. They can still open door from inside, but then alarm will sound.

I tested the switch inhibit by keeping windows down, and then locking car from outside with fob, waiting over 20 seconds, then reaching in. It would not let me unlock the doors with the button on the door (message on screen pops up reading "Switches Inhibited Security mode"). I could open the door with the inside handle, and the alarm warning came on right away stating "Vehicle Alarm - To Stop Alarm, Start Vehicle". The alarm would then sound off shortly if I did not start it our unlock it from the FOB.

I also tested this by sitting in the bronco, and locking doors with the app. waited 20 seconds and tried to hit the unlock button on the driver door. it would not unlock the doors (message on screen pops up reading "Switches Inhibited Security mode"). I reached back and opened one of the back doors, and the alarm horn started going off right away.

I couldn't find any details on the switch inhibit in the bronco manual, but it pops up in another manual (pic attached) when googling for it. Also a dealer did a brief video on it here from a different vehicle:

Ford Bronco Question about Anti-theft system IMG_2720

Ford Bronco Question about Anti-theft system IMG_2721

Ford Bronco Question about Anti-theft system IMG_2722

Ford Bronco Question about Anti-theft system IMG_2723.PNG

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also tested this by sitting in the bronco, and locking doors with the app. waited 20 seconds and tried to hit the unlock button on the driver door. it would not unlock the doors (message on screen pops up reading "Switches Inhibited Security mode"). I reached back and opened one of the back doors, and the alarm horn started going off right away.
Ah, this should be the solution. I either didn’t have switch inhibit enabled in settings or I wasn‘t waiting the required ~20 seconds post locking for it to kick in. With this, it should make the rear trunk with a security enclosure much more useful (as long as I remember to lock the vehicle). Thanks!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I only use the lock button on the door. Didn't know about switch inhibit.

dashzero

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch Harttop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if i reach in the switch doesnt work, as expected with switch inhibit. But if i open the door with the handle, the switch enable, and I can hit unlock and it unlocks the read gate. The alarm does go off. Can someone check to make sure im not missing something

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So if that’s the case, the trunk “security” enclosures are essentially meaningless if you’re running the vehicle topless. Once someone is in the car, they don’t have to worry about being blocked from accessing the trunk from the top or by folding down the back seats. They just unlock the car and open the trunk door.
I don't believe so...once you walk away, the trunk locks, doesn't it? If you get into the vehicle unlawfully, you cannot simply unlock the trunk.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BTW, the perimeter sensor WITH the LED are going to be the best deterrent you can get...beyond that, a console vault, enclosed security from Ford or Tuffy will keep your items safe and locked in...
Sponsored