Sponsored

RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set?

RockyBalboa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2-Door BadSquatch, '21 Mach-E GTPE, '13 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What a saga on these aftermarket CV's. My stock CV boot on my passenger side got a bunch of hairline rips in it. I looked at replacing with aftermarket, but I'm going to wait to see what the verdict of the new RCVs are. The oem replacements from Ford seem to be backordered with no real ETA. In the meantime I'm going to try a temporary boot repair to get me through until there's a viable replacement available.

OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What a saga on these aftermarket CV's. My stock CV boot on my passenger side got a bunch of hairline rips in it. I looked at replacing with aftermarket, but I'm going to wait to see what the verdict of the new RCVs are. The oem replacements from Ford seem to be backordered with no real ETA. In the meantime I'm going to try a temporary boot repair to get me through until there's a viable replacement available.
Ford Performance may be an option. They are nicer finish, but probably same durability as stock.
Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? 1680452417327

https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-m210-painted-half-shaft-kit

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

please keep us up to date on this, thanks
I’m probably going Spicer at this point. Someone got a set of the “fixed” RCV’s and he said they hecka clicked and made noise. They also had binding issues. Curious if it’s truely fixed.

Sponsored

mike12779

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

please keep us up to date on this, thanks
They arrived. The Bronco is currently at the dealer getting the front pinion seal replaced, hopefully I will get some time this weekend to install them.

PXL_20230404_025612276.jpg

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m probably going Spicer at this point. Someone got a set of the “fixed” RCV’s and he said they hecka clicked and made noise. They also had binding issues. Curious if it’s truely fixed.
Spicer has similar issues. I had them installed for a week and they clicked/ticked so loud it drove me nuts. They kept saying it would go away but I gave up and sent them back. They told me they had a bunch come back and the could not locate the issue.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Clicking is from the tolerance not being correct.

This was a pretty common issue with Toyota birfields and the clicking was an indication that you needed to replace them (to much wear). Not surprised this is an issue as previous post are issues binding so they must have relaxed the tolerances.

Fyi if these are hardened parts the life will be drastically less. Remember these spin 100% of the time you drive so be warned if you only get 40-50k miles out of them.

mike12779

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heck of a time trying to get the passenger one past the ring... Driver's side was easy. Time for a break before trying again.

Sponsored

mike12779

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You still at it or what? 😁
Haha... I was eventually able to get it in. One issue is it looks like one of the bands was not cinched down tight around the boot, so it started leaking some grease. I am waiting to hear back before doing anything more to it. Had maybe 70 or so miles on it before I noticed.

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? PXL_20230404_025612276 (1)

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Haha... I was eventually able to get it in. One issue is it looks like one of the bands was not cinched down tight around the boot, so it started leaking some grease. I am waiting to hear back before doing anything more to it. Had maybe 70 or so miles on it before I noticed.

Ford Bronco RCV Performance CV Axles - are they junk or did I get a defective set? PXL_20230404_025612276 (1)
Mine were doing the same thing a year ago. Slinging grease and making hecka noise in 4lo. Try them out in 4lo please, curious if they make noise.

Jaguilera

Outer Banks
First Name
juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco outerbanks squatch, 89 montero, 89 rx7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
just installed these in my Bronco, dates on them were 9/22 and 3/23. I immediately tried them in the parking lot of the shop in 4A and 4hi, immediately started binding when driving in a straight line, turning the wheels was painful to hear, lots of grinding. Going over the speed bumps would cause popping noises. Went straight back into the shop to put the originals back on. I am waiting on RCV to call me back on them.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

just installed these in my Bronco, dates on them were 9/22 and 3/23. I immediately tried them in the parking lot of the shop in 4A and 4hi, immediately started binding when driving in a straight line, turning the wheels was painful to hear, lots of grinding. Going over the speed bumps would cause popping noises. Went straight back into the shop to put the originals back on. I am waiting on RCV to call me back on them.
its insane to me how so many companies can't get stuff right on the Bronco. So many production, QC issues that I have had. RTR sent me a light bar with powder coat literally coming off in chunks, JCR sent me a rear MOLLE panel that didn't fit right, RCV sent me axles that didnt work a year ago and apparently after a "remake", still have the same issues. Kings sent me shocks with the wrong Top Hats, I can go on and on lol

Jaguilera

Outer Banks
First Name
juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco outerbanks squatch, 89 montero, 89 rx7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
its insane to me how so many companies can't get stuff right on the Bronco. So many production, QC issues that I have had. RTR sent me a light bar with powder coat literally coming off in chunks, JCR sent me a rear MOLLE panel that didn't fit right, RCV sent me axles that didnt work a year ago and apparently after a "remake", still have the same issues. Kings sent me shocks with the wrong Top Hats, I can go on and on lol
seems like they are all in a rush to get their product out before its ready in hopes of capitalizing on the new bronco owners thirst to customize their new rigs.
Sponsored