Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So like a few others I bought one of these cold air intakes. It's just an overhyped extra big K&N filter in my case I bought the K&N brand. There similar to many of the other overpriced plastic air boxes with a big filter. Like others, mine has an open top for extra air to get in there, which is fine if the air is cold however at low vehicle speed you get a lot of air coming off the top of the engine that is ultra heated. I doubt I'm the only one, but I have had codes thrown showing intake air temperature out of range. After purchasing a new intake air temperature sensor and installing it I still had the same problem. I also noticed that after slow speed driving and then pulling out onto a main road and goosing it, the power was reduced from the extra heat in the intake tract and under the hood. My solution was to get more cold air into the original air opening. I got out the Dremel and a razor blade and opened up the area directly in front of the air cleaner, behind the grill. I removed several inches of plastic and created a new air path for fresh air to go directly through the grill on the passenger side, and straight into the air cleaner itself. I noticed a huge Improvement in overall driveability and much less heat soak from low speed driving. Additionally the code has gone away and I don't have any problems with over temperature intake air any longer. Here are a couple of pictures of my slice and dice job.

With the FP tune and REAL cold air intake, and muffler delete, and 110 octane, the engine approaching 400 hp now.

a concern might be water fording, but with 2" lift and 40s, my air intake, on the air cleaner housing, is 48" above ground level, so I'm not worried about water crossings.

Ford Bronco Real cold air intake = cut out plastic behind grill IMG_20230909_101844

Ford Bronco Real cold air intake = cut out plastic behind grill IMG_20230909_101840

Ford Bronco Real cold air intake = cut out plastic behind grill IMG_20230909_101830

Ford Bronco Real cold air intake = cut out plastic behind grill IMG_20230909_101825

Ford Bronco Real cold air intake = cut out plastic behind grill IMG_20230909_102400
Sponsored

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As usual for BMB: Sees Problem, Fixes Problem. I've always wondered why folks call them Cold Air Intakes as most source air from the hot engine compartment rather than the grill area like stock.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For some really cold air, add a fan and some ice. ;)

Ford Bronco Real cold air intake = cut out plastic behind grill 1694283215661

new to bronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
do you get snow? part of the reason they block off the area directly in front of the air cleaner is to avoid snow packing/clogging the air filter...

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

do you get snow? part of the reason they block off the area directly in front of the air cleaner is to avoid snow packing/clogging the air filter...
Naw not enough to stick to the headlights...lol. maybe 2 days outta the year we get a couple inches here and there. not enough to concern me. If I drove though a blizzard I'd stuff a towel or old sweatshirt in there for the trip tho.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends on what intake you have. My Injen has a huge opening and is sealed from the rest of the engine bay. So the cooler air is actually coming into the intake.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Depends on what intake you have. My Injen has a huge opening and is sealed from the rest of the engine bay. So the cooler air is actually coming into the intake.
Yeah I've looked at that one, but it ALSO pulls air from the upper fender area( at low speed) right above the turbo....correct?

additionally the lower portion is more square than the rounded K&N and would definitely interfere with my tire and wheel travel combination. I moved my air cleaner assembly up 1 full inch from OEM.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Don’t do it. There are reasons why the engineers didn’t.
true, but mostly because of Karen's and Attys...not mechanical factors. reminds me of the seat belt recall....it was for the fat and lazys....ROFL

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I've looked at that one, but it ALSO pulls air from the upper fender area( at low speed) right above the turbo....correct?

additionally the lower portion is more square than the rounded K&N and would definitely interfere with my tire and wheel travel combination. I moved my air cleaner assembly up 1 full inch from OEM.
Hmm no. My airbox does not pull below the turbo. There is an opening for the upcoming snorkel feature, but I have that closed off. As for lift, I am on 37's and I have a 4' fabtech lift. No issues with travel or suspension so far.

Raptor Guy

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Raptor | '11 FLHX | '02 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If I had a dollar for every time I've had to say this...

CAI's are WORTHLESS on turbo motors! You're wasting money for a net zero performance improvement.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Probably due to the turbo heating the air. A more efficient intercooler may be more productive. Just guessing.
Sponsored