First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It'll probably be before I get my 2021 BD!
Sponsored

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Aside from body-side color on the hard top, what do you really get? The original painted MOD top had removable rear side windows, but beyond that and the body-side color...that's it as I understand it. I originally was supposed to have the painted MOD top but I feel like the MIC (set aside quality control problems encountered by a number of folks) looks pretty dang good. I've looked at my Wrangler that has a painted MOD top and our Bronco with MIC, and, being very honest, I prefer the MIC on the Bronco. Just my 2 cents on a debate that is ages old.
I thought the entire structure was different. The MOD was supposed to be heavier, thicker, and provide improved sound deadening. Maybe this was supposed to be more similar to the current painted hard tops on the Jeeps, where we can all easily see that the MIC is the cheaper, crappier version of that.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford announced a painted metal modular hardtop a long time ago. It can kind of be seen here:

Was supposed to be available on release in 2021, and then was delayed to 2022... Clearly still isn't available for MY'22.
It's not metal, it will be fiberglass or sheet moulding compound (SMC).

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 s10
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Add $1495 to $5000 soft top = $6495 at the counter. My bet is $7500.

One thing we are banking on is price protection so that we can still get the MOD in MY23. Perhaps they’ll extend to 24.

They also haven’t dropped info on WHO is making the MOD tops since they dropped Worstbesto.
I was told by my sales guy, MIC through parts was $7k. I won't be surprised if MOD is closer to 10k by the time you have it sent and painted.

Does your order still somehow have MOD on it? Or did it get switched to MIC and will be switched back? When they converted my order from a '21 to '22, My order got switched to MIC and couldn't be switched back to MOD because it wasn't an option for '22, and then it got picked up before I could have them hold the order (to keep waiting for MOD). My production date keeps getting pushed back, and is now at March 7th....as time goes on, I'm going to be mad if it gets pushed back to the point where it's only a couple of months between a '22 and a '23/MOD top that I was originally waiting for......but that's assuming they have it ready to go initially in '23, and it doesn't become late availability again.

Aside from body-side color on the hard top, what do you really get? The original painted MOD top had removable rear side windows, but beyond that and the body-side color...that's it as I understand it. I originally was supposed to have the painted MOD top but I feel like the MIC (set aside quality control problems encountered by a number of folks) looks pretty dang good. I've looked at my Wrangler that has a painted MOD top and our Bronco with MIC, and, being very honest, I prefer the MIC on the Bronco. Just my 2 cents on a debate that is ages old.
Depends on what each person wants out of it. I liked the ability to remove the rear side windows, and more importantly to me - I like the look of the painted better, and feel it'll hold up better long term as far as fading goes. I've had my Flex 13 years now, and much of the plastic is now light gray where it was originally black. I was trying to avoid that.

Ford can’t even put out base tops at this point. I bailed on the mod to get a 22 bronco. No way mod top will be available for 23. They couldn’t even paint the top black for the top of the line raptor bronco. Just a grey mess of a top on a 100k truck, after adm.
Given they announced MOD would be '23, why would the black painted top appear on a '22 Raptor? I get it's a special model, but still.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn’t Webasto the one making the mod top? I thought it was coming with Raptor but they had to push it back because they had to shift focus on MIC

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Isn’t Webasto the one making the mod top? I thought it was coming with Raptor but they had to push it back because they had to shift focus on MIC
No, it was announced several months ago that Ford dropped Webasto for the MOD

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
before ford killed all the options but the MIC top, there was supposed to be a body color top, black top, and maybe a white top since there been some test cars seen on the road with them. Just hoping they change suppliers. Webasto is a lost cause
Lol...Watch it, every time I trash Webasto someone gets all @ss hurt about it.

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh okay I wasn’t sure. The company I work for supplies weather sealing for the pop out windows and we have been shipping them to Webasto

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I swear I read a article stating Webasto was building a new plant or two(?) because of bronco demand? I’m so f’ing confused with all this MIC and MOD...and Ford dropped Webasto??

Who is building hard tops today, right now?

I trashed Webasto this morning in a thread, was it all for nothing? 😂

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I swear I read a article stating Webasto was building a new plant or two(?) because of bronco demand? I’m so f’ing confused with all this MIC and MOD...and Ford dropped Webasto??

Who is building hard tops today, right now?

I trashed Webasto this morning in a thread, was it all for nothing? 😂
It was mentioned that Webasto will comtinie to make the MIC (for now?) but they contracted a new company (still I know who?) to take over the MOD.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It was mentioned that Webasto will comtinie to make the MIC (for now?) but they contracted a new company (still I know who?) to take over the MOD.
So this means no hard top orders will get filled until the new company gets on-line/up and running.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was told by my sales guy, MIC through parts was $7k. I won't be surprised if MOD is closer to 10k by the time you have it sent and painted.
I posted about a week or so ago another person had sourced the MIC through parts for $8K. We know that painted parts don't come painted when ordered from the parts counter. An additional cost of painting is done when it arrives so you are probably correct with the $10K price.

I've been saying for some time, now, that those who chose the soft top to get their Bronco quicker will have to do the calculus when the MIC/MOD top is available from the parts counter whether to pay for the cost or trade in their Bronco and order one from the factory which will be much cheaper.

A few fortunate owners have arranged swaps of their top which works for both parties to get what they want.
Sponsored