Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My Valentine’s Day gift this year came in the form of a red Ford Focus pulling out into an intersection while I had the right-of-way. Admitted they “couldn’t see” because they “didn’t scrape their windows this morning.” My FIRST payment was due less than a week later.

I don’t know if diminished value payments are a state by state thing but I’ve never heard of that in Michigan. Biggest concern for me is wait time for replacement parts. Currently waiting on the passenger side curtain airbag and bumper-related bracket.
Ford Bronco Rear Ended After 2 Payments D5948A0C-25E4-4FE0-94C5-DB3AFDA81CF6
Ford Bronco Rear Ended After 2 Payments 34C1767E-0171-437B-A15B-D689E607F6E9
Sponsored

Last edited:

BHearn9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As the title says, my Bronco got rear ended while sitting at a red light after only having made 2 payments on it. As the shop digs into it, they're stating that a whole frame rail needs to be replaced. Seeing that these Broncos are fairly expensive, the cost of repairs isn't enough to total it. With that being said, I've been told that I will be reimbursed for DIV (diminish in value). Does anyone have any insight of a percentage I should look out/fight for since my car fax will obviously be hit pretty hard with some significant repairs being done. I'm attaching pictures of the damage, including the kink in the frame.

BroncoDamage(1).jpg

BroncoDamage(2).jpg

BroncoDamage(3).jpg

BroncoDamage(4).jpg

BroncoDamage(5).jpg
You might try the link below. There is a fee. I have no affiliation, but that I’ve used them a few times for work. Cheaper than paying an appraisal company, unless you can get someone at the body shop/dealership to give you an opinion in writing for free.
http://www.vehicleinfo.com/

Last edited:

cdcsf

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB Sprinter 4x4, '22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I started out using the girls insurance who caused the accident. Their insurance was going to total it for this reason, but her insurance limits were high enough to pay me out so they told me to go through my insurance.
When my insurance did their investigation, they are leaning towards repairing it.
From your post, it’s not clear to me why you switched from working thru her insurance to going thru yours/USAA. She’s at fault and her insurance will total your truck which sounds like what you want…

Do you have to pay your deductible even when you’re not at fault? I’ve had USAA for around 20 years, and yes they have been great. But, many years ago I think I had an accident where the other driver was at fault. I called USAA and gave them the other persons insurance info so that I didn’t have to deal with them. I think USAA made me pay my deductible and said they would reimburse me once they got the money from the other insurance company. I don’t remember getting refunded for my deductible payment. So, that’s the last time I’ve called USAA for an accident when I’m not at fault.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember what they offer for diminished value is just the first offer, usually low. You can counter but have to get some numbers from car dealers on what the difference between undamaged and repaired value would be. Start with your selling dealer.

Sponsored

Limecreek

Badlands
First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1100RS, BMW R1200RS, Honda CRV, Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same. I ride a Harley and got used to looking in mirrors long ago.

Sucks for ya OP but could have been much worse.
Yup, been riding all my life and phones in cars with people texting, playing games, everything but driving and paying attention stopped me from commuting on my motorcycle.

Very sorry about the damage to a brand new vehicle and hope you get it repaired to your satisfaction.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I need to get my bumpers built ASAP! Not only for off roading but to stiffen up these crumple zones so my Bronco isn't totaled from a moron not paying attention.
A bigger bumper isn’t going to prevent that frame from buckling by the mounting ear.. that was designed to buckle for impact.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A bigger bumper isn’t going to prevent that frame from buckling by the mounting ear.. that was designed to buckle for impact.
Ummm, a correctly engineered mounting solution and bumper will keep that from buckling!

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Phys
Ummm, a correctly engineered mounting solution and bumper will keep that from buckling!
not really if the frame is already designed for the intentions to buckle. I’d say it took a pretty hard hit from the view of that car. Putting a giant steel bumper will probably protect better at lower speed impacts but not at higher speeds. Physics of the impact will just translate through the frame and body and buckle some where else.. my guess would be the spring perch on the frame or through the roll bar. Newtons law

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Phys

not really if the frame is already designed for the intentions to buckle. I’d say it took a pretty hard hit from the view of that car. Putting a giant steel bumper will probably protect better at lower speed impacts but not at higher speeds. Physics of the impact will just translate through the frame and body and buckle some where else.. my guess would be the spring perch on the frame or through the roll bar. Newtons law

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Phys

If you build a bumper that mounts past the crumple zones and boxes them, then you eliminate the crumple zone and reinforce it...

Jfman

Base
First Name
jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ouch and ouch again 😞😤

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
On diminished value, I was rear ended couple years ago, dude was driving a Hyundai and rear ended my F250. Damage to my F250 was basically a bumper replacement. Dudes insurance were absolute dicks and flat out refused DV at first, actually claimed DV didn’t exist. After going back and forth for months they finally agreed to have a company run a DV claim, I ended up with $1700 in DV.

So apparently there are companies that calculate DV for insurance companies. Google “diminished value claim companies.” Now if it’s totaled you obviously won’t get DV just fyi.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Recommend being very pushy and insistent they total the Bronco and pay out for replacement value. Also buy it back for scrap value and repair it enough to make it your trail beater.
I have done the same after some tweekers stole and abused my truck years ago. You gotta stand up and argue with the insurance 'people'.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
She's driving a late model BMW and doesn't have enough insurance to cover a totaled Bronco?
Sponsored