Sponsored

Removing sound headliner if I don’t like it?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Badlands MGV person here. MIC top only. Lux too, so I do have extra sound deadening in my package. My order is in. I’m in this for real.

The free headliner sounds nice. The price is great. But what if I don’t like it? Too hot/cold, doesn’t do much for the sound, don’t like the look, patches won’t stick to it, etc.?

How would I change it out for the Hot Heads product without F’n up the look of the MIC top? Anybody been down this road with a Jeep?
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Hotheads are installed with double sided tape if I recall the video correctly. Shouldn't be too horrible. Be slow and careful and it should be fine. Besides, if it is on there when you get it, and you have not ridden in one without it then you will not be able to tell the exact difference in sound level. #JustAGuess

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why don't you just opt out? I don't imagine the oem headliner will come out without a fight and leave residue behind.

I don't know if it has been established but I'm thinking OEM from the Factory is Not just a few velcro or sticky strips and probably glued all over.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Upholstery glue, which I can only imagine is what will be used here, will be a pain to remove. It can be done, but no guarantees on what the top substrate will look like when you’re done, or if the top will have any kind of reaction with the solvent you use to remove the glue. My thoughts are leave it off your order if you’re hesitant. Can always go with hotheads as originally intended

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Upholstery glue, which I can only imagine is what will be used here, will be a pain to remove. It can be done, but no guarantees on what the top substrate will look like when you’re done, or if the top will have any kind of reaction with the solvent you use to remove the glue. My thoughts are leave it off your order if you’re hesitant. Can always go with hotheads as originally intended
I thought it was just double sided tape.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought it was just double sided tape.

Aftermarket pieces definitely. Didn’t occur to me that the factory would be taped as well. Good catch

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford is going to install a headliner to almost all Bronco's built, why would an aftermarket company bother producing a kit? There will be no market. Why would you suggest they count on a HH kit being readily available?

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford is going to install a headliner to almost all Bronco's built, why would an aftermarket company bother producing a kit? There will be no market. Why would you suggest they count on a HH kit being readily available?
Probably the same reason many will remove perfectly good OEM wheels and replace them with aftermarket perfectly good wheels...just because.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Probably because they are already in that business, can make a superior product, and even factory headliners fail/deteriorate and need replacing. Anything an OEM can do, an aftermarket has the possibility of being better at (mostly because the OEM will remain static typically on quality and options). Not to mention color changes, increases/decreases in density, etc. This is kind of like saying why any of them exist, since the car releases mostly capable of being a car. Some people just like change and not all of them are capable of sourcing the whole thing themselves.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because Mark said he’s planning to make one available.

Paging Mark at Hothead (@Hothead Headliners).

Are you still planning to make aftermarket headliner kits for Bronco hard tops in light of this recent announcement? Several members in hotter climates are still interested.
That is still the plan. We don't have any current ETA's yet but we'll keep everyone posted once we do.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HH has all the infrastructure already to produce. Only thing they need to do is cut their material to a different shape. Minimal investment for an entire new market.

Additionally, some people prefer HH over the Coverking product.

Double additionally, we don’t know what will happen in MY22. Whatever the reason for Ford’s move this year might be resolved and the headliner won’t be offered standard going forward.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because the HH kit is intended for heat reduction as well as sound dampening. The Ford kit is not supposed to help with heat. Only appearance and sound reduction.

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wish someone had done a quantification of how HH product compares to CK. Decibel difference, heat difference. It’s hard to ignore free but lots of self nagging doubt - is it comparable or is HH really that much better?
Sponsored