Sponsored

Rest your Turbos when you park before turning off car?

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We also have a 2022 Wildtrak and it's my own first experience with a "boosted engine" aka Turbo (or Supercharged etc.) - my Dad had a couple-a-few "Turbo Diesel" Pickups, as it's extremely common to Turbocharge a diesel engine especially for a pickup - he literally had a remote start and advanced keyfob system installed that he could set it to cool down for anywhere from 5-30 minutes before shutting off to cool the Turbocharger.

However- there is a world of difference, from what I understand, from a 1960s-70s-era mechanical Turbo on a Muscle Car and the advanced, electronically-controlled, computer-regulated boosted engines we have today, like our Ford EcoBoost Turbos.

I'll note I almost wonder if this is a troll question as you literally describe going to the bathroom, who does that?
Just trying add a little joke at end. Ignore poop comment. Appreciate your response though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

during start up your rpms are usually around 1200 rpms. I wait until the engine has warmed up and i wait until the rpms drop down to 800 for idling.
I will start doing that! Thanks man!

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
This would only damage the turbos if for example, you are running the engine hard, the turbos are spooling at very high RPMs and you shut down the engine, the oil flow to the turbos stop and you can cook them.
Advances in oil chemistry and resistance to heat help mitigate this.

Now, usually owners slow down when in their neighborhoods or areas where they plan on parking so the turbos slow down enough for them to be safe after turning the engine down.

If not, let the engine run at idle for a minute before turning the engine off.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a 35+ year professional driver I've driven turbo charged diesels forever. The cooling of turbos before shut down was true years ago but technology has improved vastly since then so it's not so true after normal driving conditions anymore. The big problem with not cooling turbos before was bearing failure but modern bearings and oil are far better today so not the issue it was. I've had ecoboost engines since 2011 with no problems.

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This would only damage the turbos if for example, you are running the engine hard, the turbos are spooling at very high RPMs and you shut down the engine, the oil flow to the turbos stop and you can cook them.
Advances in oil chemistry and resistance to heat help mitigate this.

Now, usually owners slow down when in their neighborhoods or areas where they plan on parking so the turbos slow down enough for them to be safe after turning the engine down.

If not, let the engine run at idle for a minute before turning the engine off.
I literally drive my bronco speed limit everywhere pimping around lol. I just enjoy drive it slow and steady.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't have to "rest" your turbos. You aren't pulling into your parking spot at full throttle under a heavy load and shutting the engine off immediately.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rules have always been, don't go hard until warm, and allow to cool if you've run hard before shutting down. Companies love to deny warranty on turbos.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a 35+ year professional driver I've driven turbo charged diesels forever. The cooling of turbos before shut down was true years ago but technology has improved vastly since then so it's not so true after normal driving conditions anymore. The big problem with not cooling turbos before was bearing failure but modern bearings and oil are far better today so not the issue it was. I've had ecoboost engines since 2011 with no problems.
I was hoping to hear that! So basically dont worry about it as you and some others have posted.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The worst operating condition for modern DI turbo engine wear and tear is idling, especially during temperature transients like 'warming up' and 'cooling down'. That's when the worst carbon buildup and oil burn occurs. Diesels love to idle, but it's a nightmare condition for DI turbo gas engines.

Unless you are drifting through your neighborhood until your turbos are glowing hot, I'd just shut down normally when you get home. Most of the 'conventional wisdom' about internal combustion engines is woefully outdated for modern DI turbo engines.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right it was an issue years ago for example the Buick grand national of the 80s turbo v6 lost turbos all the time that's why so many were replaced with small block chevy's

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is my first turbo. I let the car warm up for 1-2 minutes, maybe longer now it's getting colder here in MN (I will be using the block heater this winter). The engine gets up to temp fairly quickly with the shutters closed. I keep my foot out of it until it's at operating temp (7mt), watching the turbo meter, keeping as low as possible for a few miles.

I'm usually under 20mph for a couple mins before I get to my parking spot. Then I let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting it off.

I'm still using Fords recommended semi-synthetic oil, maybe switch to full someday.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isnt that for older vehicles? Thought we didnt have to do that with modern vehicles, especially our girls
Sponsored