Sponsored

Retroactively install tow package wiring?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My son-in-law added some ground effect lights lights to his 2019 Mustang. Connected them to the front parking lights so he would not forget to turn them off. Flat shut the engine down and would not start. So I removed them and connected direct to the battery with a fuse link alls well.
So like I always say you have to watch what you are doing.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking the same thing as OP. Would like to get the tow package factory installed, but not if it holds up my build significantly. I'd be happy to buy just the pre-wire kit (if it doesn't already come installed) to be able to add a hitch later. Heck, with the lower tow rating, I'm not even sure if I'll be towing anything anymore and maybe just use the hitch for a cargo basket or bike carrier. But it's always best to have options.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know if this is true or not, but it's relevant: one of the Ford reps on the Bronco dealership tour told me that adding the tow package though the dealer instead of the factory will result in only 2000 lbs towing

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When browsing the Ford accessories catalog for the Bronco, I found a wiring harness and trailer hitch. The combined priced was pretty close to the add on price for factory equip. Don't remember if 4 and or 7 pin connector but seeing this, it appears like this would be a simple add on though it may take a while to get.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tap into the rear tail lights can create problems with a vehicle with CAN bus wiring. Best to buy the Ford harness. Good Luck.

But but but but but all I have to do is tap into the tailights like I did on my 89 Ranger!!!

So many people whining about the price are in for a shock when they want a trailer lights plug to go along with their $179 uhaul hitch they are going to put on themselves.

Ford: You ever want to pull a small trailer?
Customer: Ya probably.
Ford: Cool we got you just order it with the tow package.

Ford: You ever want to pull a small trailer?
B6G cheapskate: No, but if I do I'll add my own hitch.
Ford: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: OK Boomer don't say we didn't try.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We keep saying this...but they don't listen.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is what you will need to add a four pin trailer connecter to a Bronco without the tow package.
The issue is the tail and brake lights are controlled with FET (Field Effect Transistors) and cannot handle any extra current draw.

Ford Bronco Retroactively install tow package wiring? 4

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is the currently listed part on ford site. Part# FT1Z-15A416-A
Cheapest online I saw was $90.

The Bronco style hitch in aftermarket for jeeps is about $70, hitch only. Gonna have to wait a little while for aftermarket or pay Ford $350 for hitch only, or $460 w/ wiring for parts only.

I only need 4-pin, but would be nice to get the combo connector to add for a cleaner look.

The wire harness looks to involve splicing wires. Would’ve prefered plug and play from a new Ford product.

Oh well, thats the only options right now for us Baseheads!

Ford Bronco Retroactively install tow package wiring? 83CAA3A6-FCD7-4FF4-8B5E-E5BA598E3038

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know if this is true or not, but it's relevant: one of the Ford reps on the Bronco dealership tour told me that adding the tow package though the dealer instead of the factory will result in only 2000 lbs towing
There's no way that's true, given that the towing specs specific say that you.can achieve 3500lbs towing on the base if you buy the package as an accessory after.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's no way that's true, given that the towing specs specific say that you.can achieve 3500lbs towing on the base if you buy the package as an accessory after.
Good point. I figured the guy was full of it

Sponsored

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is the currently listed part on ford site. Part# FT1Z-15A416-A
Cheapest online I saw was $90.

The Bronco style hitch in aftermarket for jeeps is about $70, hitch only. Gonna have to wait a little while for aftermarket or pay Ford $350 for hitch only, or $460 w/ wiring for parts only.

I only need 4-pin, but would be nice to get the combo connector to add for a cleaner look.

The wire harness looks to involve splicing wires. Would’ve prefered plug and play from a new Ford product.

Oh well, thats the only options right now for us Baseheads!

Ford Bronco Retroactively install tow package wiring? 83CAA3A6-FCD7-4FF4-8B5E-E5BA598E3038

... I know huh, we ordering Base models can't even check the box (... or click the X) to get the tow package.

... the tow package would not have been incentive enough to move up in trims thousands more in price.

... perhaps the steelies and 30 inch tires is what their deal is in not giving us the option?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

... I know huh, we ordering Base models can't even check the box (... or click the X) to get the tow package.

... the tow package would not have been incentive enough to move up in trims thousands more in price.

... perhaps the steelies and 30 inch tires is what their deal is in not giving us the option?
I had just jokingly replied to another thread about the base not having the led tails and maybe that's why you can't get the tow (cuz of how it wires into the LED variable voltage)

D1A3

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Sahara, Atlas, X5d, 993 Cabriolet, 914 2.0L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sent an email to
My dealer yesterday asking if they can wire the 7 + 4 pin connector because the only one listed in the accessories catalog is a simple 4 pin, and the seven includes integration into the 360 braking for the accessory brake controller, along with the connector for the brake controller.

No reply yet.
When I look at the configurator online, it specifically states that the tow package does NOT include the brake controller. Curious if you are referring to something else?

C537C169-894C-4535-8FC5-3B109DB33E64.jpeg

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I look at the configurator online, it specifically states that the tow package does NOT include the brake controller. Curious if you are referring to something else?

Ford Bronco Retroactively install tow package wiring? C537C169-894C-4535-8FC5-3B109DB33E64
Factory tow package does *not* include the trailer brake controller.

Factory tow package *does* include both the 4 and 7 Pin connector.

The tow harness that is available in the accessory catalog posted above is *only* the 4-pin, and not the 7-pin which would normally carry braking signals.

The accessory Trailer Brake Controler is a plug-and-play module that interfaces with a harness under the dash of the Bronco, and the documentation states it requires the “factory tow package” to work.

Together, this makes it seem like in order for the plug-and-play trailer brake controller accessory to be able to be installed, you need to have some sort of harness/interface in the bronco that only comes with the factory tow package. Additionally, if the emergency pre-collision braking system on the bronco is to interface with a trailer brake controller, that may also require additional capabilities only included with the factory tow package.

If you never ever intend to want a trailer brake controller, or you dont see a need for a 7-pin.. it would stand to reason that it would be cheaper to just get the 4-pin accessory after the fact and mate it up with a cheaper aftermarket receiver.

If you ever want to add a trailer brake controller, or you want the other additional functionality of the 7-pin, I would opt for it from the factory.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can’t option the tow package on the base, but I could have sworn I saw somewhere that fleet/.gov Base Broncos were available with tow package spec’d.

The documentation we have also states that Trailer Sway Control is included on all trims (including Base), so….
Sponsored

Last edited: