Sponsored

Rising gas Prices. Anyone Planning on EV or Hybrid as DD ?

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep. Replacing our Ford Edge with a Tesla Model Y. Placed order on Jan 3rd, supposed to get it in June. Can't wait. Fun to drive, 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and never having to stop at a gas station again sounds wonderful. Also, way reduced complications by having an EV as there is not a powertrain to fail (transmission, engine, etc) etc.

I get it, most people on this forum will think its stupid and talk about charging, etc. that is fine. Doesn't work for you, will work great for me. I still don't have a Bronco yet and I can't figure out now which I want more, the Tesla or a Bronco. They are the same price within $2K of each other and drastically different vehicles. My wife can't understand my obsession with the Bronco when the model I may get wonā€™t even have power seatsā€¦
Sponsored

Last edited:

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The hybrids or EVā€™s donā€™t work in the cold is a myth. Many, many Teslas and hybrids plugged in outside and driving here and it gets damn cold and we have real winter.
I have a real question about an incident that happened on I-95 in Virginia this past winter.
Hundreds of vehicles were stuck in the snow in freezing temps for well over 24 hrs.
How long will the heater work in sub freezing temps before the electric vehicle is dead and cannot be able to be driven out?

OP
OP

JackD

Base
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Guessing heater works longer than gas vehicle might since vehicle doesnā€™t need be running but may not be able to be driven out.

actually no idea. Just a guess. I know the Mav hybrid can only drive 1m on battery only if you run out of gas.

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would never purchase an EV. I live in Texas and it takes hours just to drive out of the state. Sitting on top of a huge battery for thousands of miles doesn't seem like a good thing. No telling what it does to the human body and the batteries, probably awful for the environment when they toss them somewhere to corrode that area.

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
John Whammer rarely drives. He takes the train to work and walks most places. This car is for de-stressing and fun..

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sitting on top of a huge battery for thousands of miles doesn't seem like a good thing. No telling what it does to the human body
You think sitting near a battery is...harmful to the human body? What?

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will pay gladly $20/gal before I'll bow down to that "electric/hybrid" will save the world bs.

JRS993

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Recently got a Maverick with the Ecoboost and have a Bronco 2dr on the way. Would have bought the hybrid Mav but no AWD or 4K tow on the hybrid.

I imagine gas prices are killing guys with huge tires. There seems to be some very wealthy individuals on this forum. Iā€™m not in that camp.

Seriously considering selling the Mav and trying to get some kind of hybrid AWD for DD and keeping the Bronco for the cottage.
No. ICE have never been cleaner or more efficient than they are now. That being said, of course trucks and certain higher performance vehicles don't get great fuel mileage , but considering their output, you get a lot of oomph today. EV's are expensive and their argument for environmental benefits is debatable. Also, our infrastructure is not designed to cope with full EV integration. Hear about Norway? Highest EV saturation and their electric bill (on average) have tripled in cost and use.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The hybrids or EVā€™s donā€™t work in the cold is a myth. Many, many Teslas and hybrids plugged in outside and driving here and it gets damn cold and we have real winter.
Heh, it was 46 degrees last night and I ran the heat coming back from Orlando.. Brrr, got 2.7mkw instead of the usual 3.3mkw. Electricity costs 12 cents a KW here. So 4.4 cents a mile instead of 3.6 cents mile so the struggle is real.

Our Explorer gets 19mpg on a good day, at $4 that is 21 cents a mile.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a real question about an incident that happened on I-95 in Virginia this past winter.
Hundreds of vehicles were stuck in the snow in freezing temps for well over 24 hrs.
How long will the heater work in sub freezing temps before the electric vehicle is dead and cannot be able to be driven out?
People were stuck in EVs
https://insideevs.com/news/560870/tesla-model3/

OP
OP

JackD

Base
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lol. Did you even read your link

Tesla Model 3 Owner Thankful For His EV When Stuck On I-95
He was stuck for 14 hours without any issues while ICE owners had to worry about toxic fumes and running out of gas.

patch1103

Wildtrak
First Name
P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU 75th Anniv. Edition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thankfully I have a company car that I drive 99% of the time, they pay for gas 100% of the time which is extremely wonderful, especially right now. But if I didn't have that I'd just deal with the gas prices to enjoy driving what I have. Wife drives my Ram 1500 thats lifted on MTs and she fills up twice a week but won't drive anything else as she loves the size of the truck.
Iā€™m similarly fortunate. My company allows me to expense my gas and maintenance/repairs on my primary vehicleā€¦ which is now my Bronco. Itā€™s a great perk. That said, my wifeā€™s next vehicle is likely to be an EV.

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have an ā€˜06 Focus with 41,000 miles on it I could drive daily, but I donā€™t.

patch1103

Wildtrak
First Name
P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU 75th Anniv. Edition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In Ohio at least, Electric Vehicles are rarer than Broncos. Sure, I see a commercial for one every 15 minutes but I honestly cannot think of a single dealership within 2 hours of me that has one for sale.

Magic 8 Ball says ask again later.
I thought about buying a Tesla when they had some sort of exclusivity appeal. Now 1 out of every 5 cars in my town is a Tesla, it seems like. With a few other EVs sprinkled in for good measure.
Sponsored