Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your nailed it.... So they made the L bracket to only be used in this manner, not both sides... Still a serious short coming IMHO.
This just won't work in my setup though
20220524_212014.jpg
Just saw this thread and was going to mention that the bracket is a one way deal. Also I believe the little finger holes were made for straps and the long oval indentation areas on the opposite sides were the places meant for gripping. Still not a good handle though.
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can go to the grocery store and buy 3 gallons of water, already in plastic containers, for less than $5

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@WuNgUn I always figured Rotopax must be the gold standard. Thanks for the heads up, now I'll consider other options before I get invested in it.
Milk jugs work well. Just need to invest in 1% or 2%.

Maybe chocolate milk since you prefer the dark mode on the forum 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took a reasonable look at them and decided on the military special. Plastic HD 5 gallon jug with a spanner wrench. Same with the gas cans, because screw rust. They're starting to get expensive and the mounting solutions are a bit more difficult. But a pair gets you 10 gallons. Actual capacity tied down the bed/back of the truck sure beats 2 gallons on cool mounts. Sorry you gotta deal with that, some stuff really is a gimmick.
I'd never do this in a fuel setup...
I eventually want a 20L can (probably the Specter) mounted to a tailgate reinforcement....

Sponsored
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can go to the grocery store and buy 3 gallons of water, already in plastic containers, for less than $5
I have a 2 door Bronco and a large dog... Efficient use of space and securely mounted gear is imperative.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking at this pic, I can see what you're talking about. I know you should not have to modify, but if you just drill new mointing holes a bit higher, seems like you would clear the bottom flange and can mount them on the side you wish.

Make room for the bolt heads on the bottom flange so I'd say just drill at least 1 inch higher and it should work. It is just 2 bolt holes preventing you from doing What it sounds like you want to do.

kahunabob

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is the fuel can. There's a water can version
Yes..I have the water version too. Similar form factor. The water version is easier to find and usually cheaper. The OP is in Canada so he has easy access to either gas or water versions...

We_Love_Tacos

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition 2Dr Lightning Blue
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Definitely need something as owning a 2dr the fuel tank gets me to the end of my driveway 😂🤣.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A lot of this overpriced crap is gimmicky.
-You get this vision in your head of what it could do for your camping/adventure/overlanding/Starbucks life.
-You get to thinking about how utility and great it would be to have when you need it, but it takes up space.
-So you invest in the overpriced, very-manufacturer-specific-mounting application plastic jugs.
-Then you invest in the overpriced manufacturer mounting bracket.
-Then you find you invest more in the "locking" retainer, and the "extensions" that allow you to carry even more!
-You get it all ready, find your bolts needed, get it all done, and you are only about $400 invested to carry 2 gallons of fuel and 2 gallons of water to safely get you across the Australian Outback in style.

But then you start thinking you need Traction boards...
and it starts all over again, comparing testing YT vidoes of the $70 version that looks identical in molding to the name brand stuff before the name brand stuff redesigned them to look cooler and have different color studs...

And don't forget your Hi-lift. It needs Polyurethane mounts color-coordinated with your Shackles.

In all honesty I almost fell into this same Pax trap before I put the brakes on spending.

I do like that they are flat, are able to be mounted (easily with some investment of $ and time) and carried out of the way, and if you spend a bit extra, easily lockable.
But then I got to looking at my 3 genuine metal Military surplus Jerrys and thinking if needed, a mount on a tire carrier probably made the most sense of all, and offered more capacity if I find I am in need of extra H20 or fuel. And 5 gal. goes a long way vs. 2 if you get in a bind enough out there to actually need the reserves.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe chocolate milk since you prefer the dark mode on the forum 🤷‍♂️
Sir, this is your finest idea yet. Now if I could just get Yoo-hoos in Rotopax shaped containers.

Br0k3N_AxL3

Badlands
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Bronco, '11 F150, '88 Bronco, '22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd never do this in a fuel setup...
I eventually want a 20L can (probably the Specter) mounted to a tailgate reinforcement....
The back of the Bronco? Absolutely not. I got mine for putting in the back of my F150. It gets thirsty, so I need more than a few gallons. But the original conversation was about water cans, so it's a temp fix until the exterior mounting possibilities become a possibility. The only company I've seen offering that is JCR Offroad with their rear bumper, but it pulls the spare off the rear door and moves it to the bumper. Really similar to the James Duff bumper I have for my '69.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd love to know the percentage of vehicles you see driving around town kitted out for a full Dakar Rally ever actually touch dirt.

It's absolutely amazing how many RTTs I see every single day in town. I'm sure a few get used, but most are there just for the drive around.
Sponsored