First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram SRT10, freestyle, Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wanted to show how I undercoated using PB Blaster's new surface shield product. This is comparable to fluid film and woolwax- it's lanolin base so it stays oily and does not dry and harden- does not crack off.

Previous career I used to electrostatic spray rust preventive on truck frames and I can tell you I personally shy away from such products due to cracking and peeling issues. Long story short, if you cannot get a specific mill spec on the coating it will break off so more is not better. You need a professional commercial setup and tools to do this job correctly.

I live in the rust belt and work in a steel mill- This is the ultimate way to destroy anything so this will be the test of all test.

I took delivery of my base Bronco two days ago and the very next day I coated the entire frame, driveshaft, nuts and bolts, the inside of the door drains and inside all the frame holes with the surface shield. The only thing I masked off were the brakes. I used the T9 on the door jams, wheel hubs and lugs. It takes very little of this product and it is used in aerospace applications.
I will keep this updated as winter and the years progress.

It took 2.5 cans of PB Blaster surface shield to treat a base 2 door= $30

You could coat everything in T9 if you really wanted a less than oily look, but consider it's $120 for a gallon off amazon.

Areosol cans are $20 but this can also be used to clean off everything so I'd be wary of getting it on certain connectors and sensors without properly masking them first and not having a spray booth. Overspray isn't much of an issue with the PB blaster just place a tarp underneath and it's easy cleanup and you're done.

Happy winter everyone.

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_120629

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_131453

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_131501

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_131504

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_131510

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_131519

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_131536

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221110_131625
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too used cans of pb surface shield this year on my bronco, but ran into difficulties getting into tighter spots and inside frame.

I'm hunting for a better system for application next year. I had ordered an adapter cap with 2 foot of hosing and 2 nozzles, but it didn't fit the cans without making a complete mess of things. I've read they will eventually come out with a gallon container, if they haven't already, that can be used with an air compressor, but I don't believe you can use the typical paint gun to apply.

I've done the wife's ranger and my bronco for this season, so I've got time to do more research for options. Just didn't know how hardcore you were going to get, or if you had something similar in mind down the road.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would move before I sprayed that crap on my new Bronco..lol

OP
OP
SurroundedByPotholes

SurroundedByPotholes

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can purchase a graffiti adapter that allows you to connect the inner cavity tool that sprays in a 360 direction.
You'll then have access to all the hard to reach areas without a worry.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does dust stick to it? Does an undercarriage car wash affect it?

Entire sections of the country are completely off my radar just so I don't have to deal with rust and rust prevention.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SurroundedByPotholes

SurroundedByPotholes

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Touche' But I like my job a lot and where I live. That and Its a vehicle designed to get dirty- it's not some mall crawler. Simple preventative maintenance.

OP
OP
SurroundedByPotholes

SurroundedByPotholes

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Entire sections of the country are completely off my radar just so I don't have to deal with rust and rust prevention.
Fluid film will wash off if sprayed with a power washer. This needs solvents, will collect some debris but maintains the protection. I washed my truck almost everyday leaving work given the chance with the under carriage wash. I can tell you Id rather have the debris from my work get stuck on this instead of on my frame and then have to spot check it in the summer so time will tell.

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can purchase a graffiti adapter that allows you to connect the inner cavity tool that sprays in a 360 direction.
You'll then have access to all the hard to reach areas without a worry.
Yeah, the regular adapter for paint cans differs from pb cans. At least the adapters I got were incompatible anyways.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Touche' But I like my job a lot and where I live. That and Its a vehicle designed to get dirty- it's not some mall crawler. Simple preventative maintenance.
I know. Just busting balls.

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The diameter is just different enough in size. I can almost force fit the cap to the wing adapter, but the adapter isn't fitting on the can. I assume it's for the viscosity, as you apparently need a special paint gun for an air compressor application.

20221111_103601.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
SurroundedByPotholes

SurroundedByPotholes

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The diameter is just different enough in size. I can almost force fit the cap to the wing adapter, but the adapter isn't fitting on the can. I assume it's for the viscosity, as you apparently need a special paint gun for an air compressor application.

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221111_103601
I see. I can almost guarantee PB will address this and come out with a solution\product of it's own to remedy this.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why not use POR15?
You can even brush it on....

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I take my vehicles to a place in Michigan (Henderson Bros.) where they take trim and door panels off to coat everything. For a couple days, there will be drops of the undercoating wherever you park. They advise people to drive on a dusty gravel road after undercoating in order to expedite the curing/excess dripping.
Sponsored