Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

winter arrived before my Bronco has, so now I ask you undercoater people what system will be best for application in freezing-ish weather. I do have a garage and an oil pit for easy access to underbody parts and no brand loyalty to any product, just a desire for NoMi tinworm to not consume my vehicle. I have a compressor and a couple spray guns too.
Sponsored

Tiresmoke410

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco, 16 F250, 66 F250, 68 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
The oil based system can apply anytime. They don't dry so temp doesn't matter.

For those new to this. Spray inside your frame! Cars rust from the inside out. Coating the outside may keep it pretty but does nothing for durability. Make sure you also treat anywhere that has two pieces of overlapping metal. Get into the seams as much as you can and inside of this trucks boxed frame.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If im worried that much I will let it rot. Its like peeing up a rope. You will never stop the rust and at what cost? I did the oil one yr. All over my garage floor all winter long and the undercarriage is a filthy dirt magnet. I guess you pick your poison. My ocd couldnt handle the absolute mess it creates.Instead I bought an undercarriage sprayer and wash all winter.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I treated my vehicles when I lived in New England for many years. Lots of cleaning, sanding to bare metal, priming, painting and undercoating. The key for me was make sure you are painting, applying whatever to non rusted surfaces. Once undercoated, etc., during the winter months I would rinse the salt off at the high pressure car washes at least once a week. I never had any rust on any of my vehicles doing this. Lot of work, yes- messy dirty work, yes. I got a little tired of it, I now live in Florida and have my small collection of vehicles and I no longer have to do this. Although I'm still scraping off rust and treating metal LOL, not on my Bronco but working on restoring an 87 Squarebody regular cab short box 4 X 4..

EcoBco

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I applied PB surface shield before last winter right when it came out and I will tell you it works great. The only component that has light surface rust is the driveshaft because I didn't coat it. I used roughly 8 cans and got every nook and cranny that I could. Before this winter I used about 2 cans and touched up a few spots. One tip for people that use it, after coating it drive it down a dirt road that will produce some dust. This will put a layer of solid material on the coating and it will be less runny in the warmer months and drip on the ground less.

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wanted to show how I undercoated using PB Blaster's new surface shield product. This is comparable to fluid film and woolwax- it's lanolin base so it stays oily and does not dry and harden- does not crack off.

Previous career I used to electrostatic spray rust preventive on truck frames and I can tell you I personally shy away from such products due to cracking and peeling issues. Long story short, if you cannot get a specific mill spec on the coating it will break off so more is not better. You need a professional commercial setup and tools to do this job correctly.

I live in the rust belt and work in a steel mill- This is the ultimate way to destroy anything so this will be the test of all test.

I took delivery of my base Bronco two days ago and the very next day I coated the entire frame, driveshaft, nuts and bolts, the inside of the door drains and inside all the frame holes with the surface shield. The only thing I masked off were the brakes. I used the T9 on the door jams, wheel hubs and lugs. It takes very little of this product and it is used in aerospace applications.
I will keep this updated as winter and the years progress.

It took 2.5 cans of PB Blaster surface shield to treat a base 2 door= $30

You could coat everything in T9 if you really wanted a less than oily look, but consider it's $120 for a gallon off amazon.

Areosol cans are $20 but this can also be used to clean off everything so I'd be wary of getting it on certain connectors and sensors without properly masking them first and not having a spray booth. Overspray isn't much of an issue with the PB blaster just place a tarp underneath and it's easy cleanup and you're done.

Happy winter everyone.

20221110_120629.jpg

20221110_131453.jpg

20221110_131501.jpg

20221110_131504.jpg

20221110_131510.jpg

20221110_131519.jpg

20221110_131536.jpg

20221110_131625.jpg
How many cans does it take to do the bottom, doors, etc.? In other words the entire truck.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would move before I sprayed that crap on my new Bronco..lol
I just park mine once they salt the roads and drive it again in April. Moving is not an option unfortunately.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any lanolin based rustproofing works great. This pic is from when i initially had it spayed. Now you couldn't even tell mine was sprayed unless you crawled underneath it. Fender wells look clear. Im glad i had mine sprayed with woolwax. Friday my bronco was white from salt here in PA. Por 15 stops rust but it doesn't prevent it especially when your state mixes shale with salt to treat the roads in winter. The po15 eventually gets chipped off and that area rusts. Its a good product though. The best part about these lanolin based sprays are if you ever wanna remove them they will come off with a pressure washer leaving a like new surface underneath.

Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221011_175203

Last edited:
OP
OP
SurroundedByPotholes

SurroundedByPotholes

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram SRT10, freestyle, Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
First week of ownership and first snow\salt\steel mill muck exposure. You can see how everything has stuck to the spray as intended, when winter is through I will do a thorough cleaning with pictures and then re-apply.
I also discovered these tires are way worse than I intitially expected in light snow so I am replacing them this week with either 265/75r16 or 285/75r16 Geolandar G015'S. Had Cooper Discoverer ATIII's on my Ram 1500 that were great in the rain but they sort of had a wandering feel on the highway, felt heavy and want to try the Yokohama's out.
Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221121_134321
Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221121_134423
Ford Bronco Rust proofing using NEW PB Blaster Surface Shield & T9 -- DIY & Result Photos 20221121_134412

Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought 4 cans last year and used about 2 spraying underneath mine. Went with surface shield because it last 2 years instead of 1 like fluid film. Everything looks like it did the day I took delivery rust-wise.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking at your pics, If you didn't spray your floorboards, I'd do those since they are steel on the Bronco. They will rust too. Rear fenders are steel as well for some reasaon.

OP
OP
SurroundedByPotholes

SurroundedByPotholes

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram SRT10, freestyle, Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking at your pics, If you didn't spray your floorboards, I'd do those since they are steel on the Bronco. They will rust too. Rear fenders are steel as well for some reasaon.
They are sprayed and this is what she looks like with new 33" Geolandar G015's. Right where you'd install a rock slider or step rails I also sprayed, which is why is looks so dirty all of the time. That will be covered with an aluminum one just for aesthetics.

20221125_143842~2.jpg

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have to wonder about the old cars from decades ago that only had body-rot, is it that the frames were built better? (didn’t seem to be so effected by rust) or did I just not notice?

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it has something to do with the components made of the steel. Think bronze age to iron age - to stay competitive, improve the steel. Should be lighter and just as tough, if not tougher. Optimize the amount of material needed to create a product.

Engineering something to be used like a vehicle to last 50+ years is sadly over. Same with roads. There will always be a need to repair roads, partly due to the jobs it creates.

Edit: quick read I meant to reference https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/pt.6.1.20180717a/full/
Sponsored