First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram SRT10, freestyle, Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
I take my vehicles to a place in Michigan (Henderson Bros.) where they take trim and door panels off to coat everything. For a couple days, there will be drops of the undercoating wherever you park. They advise people to drive on a dusty gravel road after undercoating in order to expedite the curing/excess dripping.
This 👆- I drove through a dusty gravel parking lot in the metroparks an hour after I applied it.

OP
OP
SurroundedByPotholes

SurroundedByPotholes

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram SRT10, freestyle, Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why not use POR15?
You can even brush it on....
Quite a few reasons. #1 is It isn't lanolin and you can not get the proper mill spec by brushing a paint based system. As I mentioned before I used to do this for a living in a big commercial facility utilizing an electrostatic paint system that would cost anyone $1000's of dollars vs $30 and an hour at home.

Lanolin is an extremely effective, pocket friendly and the most maintenance friendly way to treat.

JD11937

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been spot treating rust as I find it with this product: https://por15.com/collections/3-step-rust-preventive-system

Not a perfect solution but makes me feel a little better and certainly looks better than rust. It dries hard so no worry about it coming off or collecting debris. So far it’s been extremely durable. Dries a little glossier than the rest of the underside finish but once it has a little dust on it you don’t see the difference. Plan is to go under the Bronco 1-2 times a year and treat whatever rust I can see. Good option for someone not looking to coat the entire underside.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve been spot treating rust as I find it with this product: https://por15.com/collections/3-step-rust-preventive-system

Not a perfect solution but makes me feel a little better and certainly looks better than rust. It dries hard so no worry about it coming off or collecting debris. So far it’s been extremely durable. Dries a little glossier than the rest of the underside finish but once it has a little dust on it you don’t see the difference. Plan is to go under the Bronco 1-2 times a year and treat whatever rust I can see. Good option for someone not looking to coat the entire underside.

The link shows a bunch of different “systems”

Which one are you doing?

Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wanted to show how I undercoated using PB Blaster's new surface shield product. This is comparable to fluid film and woolwax- it's lanolin base so it stays oily and does not dry and harden- does not crack off.

Previous career I used to electrostatic spray rust preventive on truck frames and I can tell you I personally shy away from such products due to cracking and peeling issues. Long story short, if you cannot get a specific mill spec on the coating it will break off so more is not better. You need a professional commercial setup and tools to do this job correctly.

I live in the rust belt and work in a steel mill- This is the ultimate way to destroy anything so this will be the test of all test.

I took delivery of my base Bronco two days ago and the very next day I coated the entire frame, driveshaft, nuts and bolts, the inside of the door drains and inside all the frame holes with the surface shield. The only thing I masked off were the brakes. I used the T9 on the door jams, wheel hubs and lugs. It takes very little of this product and it is used in aerospace applications.
I will keep this updated as winter and the years progress.

It took 2.5 cans of PB Blaster surface shield to treat a base 2 door= $30

You could coat everything in T9 if you really wanted a less than oily look, but consider it's $120 for a gallon off amazon.

Areosol cans are $20 but this can also be used to clean off everything so I'd be wary of getting it on certain connectors and sensors without properly masking them first and not having a spray booth. Overspray isn't much of an issue with the PB blaster just place a tarp underneath and it's easy cleanup and you're done.

Happy winter everyone.

20221110_120629.jpg

20221110_131453.jpg

20221110_131501.jpg

20221110_131504.jpg

20221110_131510.jpg

20221110_131519.jpg

20221110_131536.jpg

20221110_131625.jpg
Looks good. I used fluid film on mine. Similar look. Excited to see how it works this winter!

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Fluid film. And recently bought a few can's of Fluid film black. Getting a new lift put on next week, so i'm going to undercoat after that. (The Tech doing the lift is my buddy, so I don't want to make it all greasy under there before he does the lift..... or do I?.....)

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seems like the PB version lasts longer than Fluid Film. I’m certainly blasting the undercarriage with a powerwasher all winter. Might have to make the switch…going in for deep clean Nov 29.

Sponsored

Stonksandbroncs

Wildtrak
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla 2008
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Rustcoaters.com. If anyone is near WI and wants someone passionate about preventing rust- this is the guy. He did my bronco and was worth every penny

Nickhick

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 xtr, vw passat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Worth it. Did my wife's 2019 ranger for this upcoming winter after noticing how bad it was starting to get. Had enough cans do do the bronco as well. Want to get more thorough next time. I appreciate the heads up.

20221016_105439.jpg
Check out @repairgeek on YouTube. He's been using the Surface sheild for years and has some great things to say about it. He did mine the day I brought it home.

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check out @repairgeek on YouTube. He's been using the Surface sheild for years and has some great things to say about it. He did mine the day I brought it home.
That's what led me to the surface shield, as well as the winged adapters for applying. Through my limited research, including his videos on the subject, PB blaster was worth the shot.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought a case of Surface Shield and applied 3 cans to undercarriage of my Bronco. I used a trigger handle adapter to make it easier. I’m also going to get some De-salting wash for undercarriage.

Living on Long Island and driving my last Subaru STi to the beach 4-5 nights a week(surf fishing) driving through salt water puddles in parking lots and through 10 winters all the salt and brine rusted the crap out of my undercarriage. Not so much the body or tub, but oil pan rusted through, front and rear subframes shot, any steel components, etc. got estimates of $5k-$8k to replace/repair. Have to try and protect the Bronco better.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That looks pretty useful. I don't think you can get away from gravity feed, like I imagine the wool wax gun would be the same. Just watched a quick video on it. How often would you say you refill? I assume there are attachments, or at least you can make a fitting work for hose with 360 tip for deep inner frame spraying.

Not having to drag air hose through overspray on the ground would be nice... Also, the utility of different products going through the spray system would be useful. Weed killer, deck stain, liquid fertilizer...
It’s hose free, you can pressurize it, like putting air in your tire. I usually put about a quart in it and fill it to 80psi and can spray the underside in about 5-10 minutes. It has a pretty good spray pattern, I take the tip off and removed a needle to get more of a narrow spray pattern. Used it on all my vehicles for the past 8 years.
Sponsored