Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 years, 1 month, 3 days and change. Thats how long I waited to get my Bronco.

It only took a Safelite technician about 2 hours to cause more damage to my Bronco than I have accumulated in 6 months as a daily driver.

Long story short (actaully, kinda long!), I had about a 4 foot crack in my windshield, and Safelite was Progressive's preferred windshield replacement vendor. I figured it was the safest bet to make sure things went smoothly and correctly. They even offered mobile service, so i had them replace my windshield today (one of my work-form-home days of the week).

Once the tech was at my door to tell me he was finished, I asked him to give me a minute to look over the work. Glad I did while he as still there, because it was nothing short of completely unacceptable. He gouged the paint at the upper corner, between the windshield and the pillar face. Just about to the bare metal. As I'm looking this over he says "Yeah, the scratch?".......I try to keep my cool, knowing full well I'm about to get into a dispute with a large corporation, and want it to go a certain way. Then he says "Yeah, it happened on the other side too".....and I look over "Dude, are you FUCKING kidding me???"

Another set of scratches, same area on the opposite side. He attempted to "fix" by scribbling over it with some black primer (keep in mind my Bronco is Cactus Grey"), to help conceal it. In reality, it only made it THAT more noticeable. He tried assuring me that SafeLite only guarantees they won't scratch the pillar face, and he did me a favor by not covering the entire gap area between the windshield and pillar with black primer (which almost seemed like it was Safelite policy to do so).

IMG_9287.jpg

IMG_9288.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

Anyway, talking to him for more than two minutes I could tell he had absolutely zero problem-solving skills, and still had no idea what the big deal was. I told him I was going to call Safelite and let them know what happened, and that I was going to get them to pay for the repairs. After numerous calls to the Safelite shop he worked for, with a Safelite customer service rep on the line, had no luck reaching the shop manager (or shop itself). The rep then assured me that they would have that particular shop's manager call me by 5pm today. Fine, I'll give them a few hours.

In the meantime I check my Blink cameras to review his work. THEN I SEE HE WAS SITTING ON MY DOORS WHILE THEY WERE OPEN, AND YOU CAN VISIBLY SEE THEM SINK DOWN AS HE SAT ON THEM. Never once did he use a step stool. Each time he needed to get somewhere he couldn't reach, he would open the door and sit on it. I have clips of him doing it numerous times.

I went out and inspected my car, and sure enough, both door are now a little out of whack, the jamb gaps are no longer consistent (both sides), and the driver's side door is now RUBBING AGAINST THE SILL.

IMG_9294.jpg

IMG_9295.jpg

IMG_9292.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

I'm livid. I'm trying to keep it together here.

Anyhow, I have the Better Business Bureau complaint page open, and once it hits 5:01pm, I'm submitting a formal complaint. Then I'm contacting Progressive to make them aware of what their preferred vendor did to a customer's car. Then I'm calling back the Safelite customer service line and speaking to a manager/supervisor/director about what happened, the proof I have, and the steps I've taken to draw as much attention to the issue as possible during the same timeframe I was unable to get a hold of, or get a call back from, the shop that was at fault.
Safelite totally screwed me over ….same quality and crap glass they sell.
I refuse to use them they are notoriously bad …. They use their own completely inferior manufactured glass…completely optically/structurally inferior glass!!
DO NOT USE SAFELITE!!!!

The Only good thing about Safelite is…. My insurance company forces me to deal with Safelite Solutions…. So I get the pleasure of telling them what a completely horrible company they have and force the issue demanding to take my cars to a private auto glass shop…..

I HATE SAFELITE…. Hate!!!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Im curious. Is sitting on doors while repairing windshields a usual practice? Can most car doors support weight? Because Bronco doors are removable, does that make them weaker, and therefore this has to me mentioned to an installer? I've had Safelite replace windshields on Subaru, F150 (in shop) Freestyle (at home) never an issue . . . Although the Freestyle leaked and Safelite sent another tech to replace ir a second time.
No it isn't a usual practice. With the frameless windows, this employee took the shortcut of using the doors to sit his lazy ass upon instead of getting a step-stool.

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2 years, 1 month, 3 days and change. Thats how long I waited to get my Bronco.

It only took a Safelite technician about 2 hours to cause more damage to my Bronco than I have accumulated in 6 months as a daily driver.

Long story short (actaully, kinda long!), I had about a 4 foot crack in my windshield, and Safelite was Progressive's preferred windshield replacement vendor. I figured it was the safest bet to make sure things went smoothly and correctly. They even offered mobile service, so i had them replace my windshield today (one of my work-form-home days of the week).

Once the tech was at my door to tell me he was finished, I asked him to give me a minute to look over the work. Glad I did while he as still there, because it was nothing short of completely unacceptable. He gouged the paint at the upper corner, between the windshield and the pillar face. Just about to the bare metal. As I'm looking this over he says "Yeah, the scratch?".......I try to keep my cool, knowing full well I'm about to get into a dispute with a large corporation, and want it to go a certain way. Then he says "Yeah, it happened on the other side too".....and I look over "Dude, are you FUCKING kidding me???"

Another set of scratches, same area on the opposite side. He attempted to "fix" by scribbling over it with some black primer (keep in mind my Bronco is Cactus Grey"), to help conceal it. In reality, it only made it THAT more noticeable. He tried assuring me that SafeLite only guarantees they won't scratch the pillar face, and he did me a favor by not covering the entire gap area between the windshield and pillar with black primer (which almost seemed like it was Safelite policy to do so).

IMG_9287.jpg

IMG_9288.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

Anyway, talking to him for more than two minutes I could tell he had absolutely zero problem-solving skills, and still had no idea what the big deal was. I told him I was going to call Safelite and let them know what happened, and that I was going to get them to pay for the repairs. After numerous calls to the Safelite shop he worked for, with a Safelite customer service rep on the line, had no luck reaching the shop manager (or shop itself). The rep then assured me that they would have that particular shop's manager call me by 5pm today. Fine, I'll give them a few hours.

In the meantime I check my Blink cameras to review his work. THEN I SEE HE WAS SITTING ON MY DOORS WHILE THEY WERE OPEN, AND YOU CAN VISIBLY SEE THEM SINK DOWN AS HE SAT ON THEM. Never once did he use a step stool. Each time he needed to get somewhere he couldn't reach, he would open the door and sit on it. I have clips of him doing it numerous times.

I went out and inspected my car, and sure enough, both door are now a little out of whack, the jamb gaps are no longer consistent (both sides), and the driver's side door is now RUBBING AGAINST THE SILL.

IMG_9294.jpg

IMG_9295.jpg

IMG_9292.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

I'm livid. I'm trying to keep it together here.

Anyhow, I have the Better Business Bureau complaint page open, and once it hits 5:01pm, I'm submitting a formal complaint. Then I'm contacting Progressive to make them aware of what their preferred vendor did to a customer's car. Then I'm calling back the Safelite customer service line and speaking to a manager/supervisor/director about what happened, the proof I have, and the steps I've taken to draw as much attention to the issue as possible during the same timeframe I was unable to get a hold of, or get a call back from, the shop that was at fault.
UPDATE?
Seems like this is an insurance claim now.

1) Take it to an auto body shop, get an estimate and send it to them
2) File a claim against your insurance company for their repair shop breaking your doors and paint.
3) and make them pay for it.

BUT: Make sure they dont raise your rates after the claim!!!

ERock62

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's ridiculous. Report/claim/spread the word... This is BS.

I just had my windshield replaced on my F250 last week. Picked up a large crack moving my MIL to AZ from CA a few weeks ago.

I found Glass America has OEM glass and I wanted to go that route over Safelite.

I had it done at my office/warehouse so I was able to keep tabs watching on the camera.

Ford Bronco Safelite Windshield Replacement Leads To Worse Damage 1676930602853

Sponsored

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sorry I'm just seeing this now. OP -sorry for your troubles. I know the pain.

Safelite did the exact same thing to me when I had a windshield replaced on my Escape a few years back. It was "canyon ridge" (orange) and they used that same black primer garbage and it was intermittently applied all the way around. This was also mobile service, so I drove it to the local shop and the manager and his "service lead" or whatever he called him said it was "normal" and at best they could even out the black (which is obviously a joke of a "fix").

I ended up reaching out to Safelite on Twitter because i previously had good luck with customer support that way (I know it's crazy, but...). I ended up with the regional manager who immediately admitted it was a problem once he saw the photos. It was a little bit of running around and not super convenient, but to avoid my insurance I took it to their contracted body shop (who actually had a good reputation, and said they get plenty of work from them...). They managed to re-spray the area and it matched perfectly, and I'm REALLY picky about that kind of thing. The only other downside is things took longer and there was additional messing around for them to actual recalibrate the ADAS properly (adaptive cruise and all of that stuff). I also had to yell at them for trying to send the same tech back to do some work (the local manager is an idiot), so just stick with corporate and you should be OK.

This is why I tell everyone to avoid Safelite. Seems easier with insurance but it's just not worth it. Best of luck - hope they sort it out for you.

Okiebud

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had an issue with them not as severe as yours but equally grating on my last nerve. I only had my bronco a week and caught a chip going 40 on a side street. No truck in front of me or anything. I assume it flew off the overpass but I had bought the windshield warranty and called them to setup a repair. I figure it was not a huge chip and they could fix it no issue as I have done a similar repair myself with decent results. I had way too much confidence in Safelite. The guy shows up in a 20 year old focus and rolls out of the vehicle. He pulled up so close to me I was worried with his lack of dexterity that he was going to swing his door into my rear panel. He definitely did not fill me with confidence. Then he positions his little tray beside by vehicle and proceeds to put his phone directly on hood of my brand new vehicle that I had waited 23 months patiently on. He then picks it up as a second thought and repositions it on my painted fender and it starts to slide and I am like WTF 🤬 please don’t do this to my finish. And the repair job ended up looking like a large bug hit my windshield and it was in my line of sight about 2 o clock right above steering wheel. So frustrating and really took the joy of finally getting my truck. Only saving grace was that the windshield recall on bad adhesive ended up replacing my windshield. I told them if it does not break I will just pay for a new one at this stage. I will never use them again!! Never 👎

edgarmcgauley

Big Bend
First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-Door Soft-Top
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a similar experience with the Ford dealer when I took my 2022 Big Bend in for the factory recall on the windshield. I’ll post some pictures later but up to now it still hasn’t been resolved by Ford.

edgarmcgauley

Big Bend
First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-Door Soft-Top
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a similar experience with the Ford dealer when I took my 2022 Big Bend in for the factory recall on the windshield. I’ll post some pictures later but up to now it still hasn’t been resolved by Ford.
Ford Bronco Safelite Windshield Replacement Leads To Worse Damage A6AC99B8-C65C-4AB5-9BD7-97F7C3274426

Autoenthusiast2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ BRaptor, 23’ B/L, 22’ Tundra TRD Pro, 22’Trx
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wow, cringed when I saw the guy sit on the door….Total B/S and laziness. I believe since you chose to use the Insurance CO’s “preferrred contractor” they guarantee the work that is performed and
therefore this is ”Progressive’s” problem now as well.
I had a problem a few years back where I used the Insurance CO’s so-called “preferred“ body shop and they totally screwed up the entire paint job on a Grand National I owned (minor-vandalization occurred). After being painted, the car had fish eyes thruout and to try and correct the issue, the body shop attempted to buff them out only to “burn” the paint on the car. The GN ended up having white burn marks thruout. Anyways, long story short the Ins. Co was on the hook and let me choose anywhere I wanted to take the car. Took it to the best painter in the area and I ended up with a 9K masterpiece paint job!

**Also quick note; I have learned from past experiences-whenever taking a vehicle in/dropping off for service/warranty work to always take a quick 360 degree video with an ipad before handing the keys over to a service advisor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tblock

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Took mine to dealer this morning for Recall replacement... Thought it was odd service manager went out and took a picture of rock chip in a pillar.... guess they know whats coming......

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is it really that fucking hard to put some type of protection in that area before they start removing the glass? WTF

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ALWAYS demand OEM glass replaclement and don't go with these cheap aftermarket companies because will increase chance of leakage and breakage because cheaper glass and not a perfect fit always so seal might not hold.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unfortunately, this is a problem with Safelite. They are not number one because they are the best, it’s because they have a stranglehold on the insurance business. My father worked for Carlite for 20 years back in the day and my brother owned his own glass shop. He didn’t get the automatic insurance bids but those that knew, had him do theirs. Every body shop in town had him do their work when given the option. He installed auto glass for 50 years without fancy tools that Safelite uses so only one person is needed to install at your site rather than theirs. Not one owner of a nice vintage car would ever go to Safelite if they had a choice.
Yep. I used to sell autoglass 20 years ago and big insurance companies would steer customers to use Safelite after I spent 30 minutes on phone with customer setting up and getting info and doing the insurance claim and then at least 1 of 10 customers would fall prey at the very end when the insurance rep. reads the disclaimer about using Safelite and felt obligated to go with the company the insurance company reccomended.

People literally scammed out of getting OEM glass from us so their insurance company could profit more off the cheaper aftermarket glass install. Customers don't all realize it is the same out of pocket cost to them (your deductible amount), so why would you get inferior product when it costs same for OEM?

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry to hear of bad experience, I've never really like Safelite because their windshields are shit and chip & crack easier than an original windscreen.

I just got my Bronco today and the dealer offered my a plan that covers Wheel and tire damage and windshields from their dealership using Ford parts. He quoted me $1,495 if I remember correctly for 3 years 36,000 miles. I'm thinking of going for it, I'll have to swing by there and check it out some more and get the details.

How often, how many and what's all covered exactly, but a couple of factory windshields and wheel repairs would be worth it.

I asked the finance guy who also has a Bronco coming if the dealership's service department does five tire rotation when they do an oil change without the push back that other dealers are giving owners, and he said said of course they do five tire rotation without any problems. So I purchased three years of oil changes with tire rotation for $285 figuring I'll do 2 a year or more for less than $50 per visit. If I squeeze a couple of more in it'll be $35 per visit.

I'll use my new Bronco CC and get the points too.

Next it's an extended warranty from Granger, I'll use my Bronco card there for more points too.

Can I use my points towards the Granger purchase?

If I stack enough points from purchase 42,000 (I think he said) plus the 11,000 for putting $3K down using the card and prepaid service and... I'll either cover part of the extended warranty or some accessories.
FYI. The dealers insurance will only fix cracks on your windshield not replacement. About the tires, if you're off the grid and tires get busted, it will not get covered. I declined that offer.
Sponsored