Sponsored

Second failed transfer case

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi im here! What did I miss? Im in NorCal/Sac area
Your mechanic skills have been volunteered :p Hey you could do a video so it's a content opportunity 🤠
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry for your trouble & hope they get you fixed before too long.

Here is some good info for those following the thread 🤠 .

Thanks for sharing that video. To piggyback on his supposition that it was the tow on the front wheel dolly that smoked the clutch pack, there was a long running thread here on B6G that dealt with a FE that had the same issue. The Ford tech was putting it on the owner for driving in 4A when in reality it was the issue that it was towed in 4A as the system doesn't shift out of 4A after being turned off.

Edit: My screenshot earlier in this thread was from the aforementioned video where the Ford tech was putting the blame on the owner.

Last edited:

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I will hold the camera?
I’m down to help. I’ve been meaning to check my driveline as well anyway as Ford keeps telling me it’s not needed till 100k which I disagree with. I asked them to check my fluid at the last oil change which they said they did. Funny cause my chalk marks didn’t budge… funny how that works.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m down to help. I’ve been meaning to check my driveline as well anyway as Ford keeps telling me it’s not needed till 100k which I disagree with. I asked them to check my fluid at the last oil change which they said they did. Funny cause my chalk marks didn’t budge… funny how that works.
Don't ever follow Fords extended maintenance time lines. They want it to break so they can fix it or sell you a new one. Oil is cheap considering the price of replacement $.02 🤠

Last edited:

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@popo_patty would also be a good candidate!
That's exactly who I was going to recommend. I reached out to him on FB and he linked me back to this thread. So looks like we got him from both angles!

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's exactly who I was going to recommend. I reached out to him on FB and he linked me back to this thread. So looks like we got him from both angles!
@popo_patty there's no escape for you famous YouTube guys :p

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's the RTR grill !!
It has to be the RTR grill !!!

It's like waxing the MIC .... makes the honeycomb pop out!

RTR grills make the transfer case puke!

Sponsored

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You should see if the dealership technician will give you the data readout from the computer. I'm sure there's more data available than the simple 4x4 system fault message. With a high end scan tool like the dealer will have you can read much more than the simple OBDII codes. There might be some useful information about what was happening with the system when it failed.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s the Advanced 4x4. Having some regrets about that now 😑……
Ya the advanced 4wd is too advanced for it's own good.
There are posts of where the advanced 4wd stops working partway though a trail so you only have 2wd but then randomly starts working when on the pavement.
Simple but reliable would be my choice.

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's the RTR grill !!
It has to be the RTR grill !!!

It's like waxing the MIC .... makes the honeycomb pop out!

RTR grills make the transfer case puke!
I wish it WAS the RTR grill! Would have saved me a long phone conversation with ford customer service and the embarrassing admission that maybe I shouldn’t have bought a first model year vehicle 😩

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s the Advanced 4x4. Having some regrets about that now 😑……
That is allegedly the stronger transfer case...

I don't think that we can blame the RTR grill, but that might not stop Ford from trying. ;)

BTW, I have 90K miles on my advanced 4x4 transfer case and I have not been gentle to it (nor have I abused it). It is an early 2021 in the 2.7 engine hotzone.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When the repair is finished OP should get a copy of the invoice which should include the technician writeup. It will likely show what the failed (causal) part is and provide clarity, this is also what Ford sees when it's submitted for warranty reimbursement. If not, the OP can give me their VIN and I can check the warranty history (after Ford pays the claim) and verify what was done.

Although I don't have numbers to back this up, single, much less multiple failures of the same component, is rare. Not accusing or suggesting this but the first assumption that's made after same component failure is usually driver induced. There're so many factors that can impact this type of failure (internal components, overheating, outside damage, multiple modules and control systems, sensors, etc). The possibility the repairing tech is able to say with 100% confidence what happened is not likely to happen. Ford expects us to identify the causal part when doing a repair to make sure what failed is first, warrantable (AWD module going bad and causing transfer case to shit the bed may not be covered if the module is only 3/36) and second, make sure it is the only cause of the failure so they won't be on the hook for a subsequent repair .

The more systems and complexity of those systems is making it a lot more difficult for techs to properly find the root cause. We've had engines preform rapid, unscheduled, disassembly, perform what failure analysis we can, then be given grief on the claim because we couldn't say for certain if a rod broke first, it dropped a valve, fuel injector stuck open, piston split or something else. Claim got denied and we had to go round and round with Ford for months to get it paid.

The only hope in this situation is the internal damage was extensive enough to warranty replacing the assembly in order to eliminate the possibility of a missed internal anomaly.
Sponsored