Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All the praise for the 2.7 really pulls at me , BUT as I have stated in many other threads.... HoosierDaughter (14) really wants to learn a manual and she is excited about this new Bronco also, so, for me it is about making a cherished memory that we'll carry with us for our life times.

And as stated just above, a Mansquatch would be a huge game changer for my ordering plans....mansquatch a base and be able to afford to MAYBE let her have it in a few years..... buy me another nicer one.
Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it fun enough to get worse mpg and a slower truck?
Not talking about the 6 either

The slushbox 4 will be faster and more efficient than the manual

Sure shifting is fun, but if you can't do it better than the machine then what's the point? None of us can shift better than the machine anymore
That's great if you're buying for fuel economy and that is your grading system. My rating system has a different scale and manual wins every time.
If you want fuel econ buy a prius

Not that there's anything wrong with justifying something based on fuel econ. If it makes you feel good, do it.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it fun enough to get worse mpg and a slower truck?
Not talking about the 6 either

The slushbox 4 will be faster and more efficient than the manual

Sure shifting is fun, but if you can't do it better than the machine then what's the point? None of us can shift better than the machine anymore

By no means do I subsistance farm, but I believe one should know how to grow and preserve their own food.... canning or curing/smoking primarily. It's just knowledge/ a skill that's handy to have.
In two generations we , as a society have almost completely lost that knowledge and it has made us dependant on others.

Being able to drive a manual is one of those skills I PERSONALLY find valuable and the fact that they are offering a throwback vehicle with a manual, I love the idea....oh , and it has offroad chops too.

Whether or not somebody else finds value in it is not a concern.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's great if you're buying for fuel economy and that is your grading system. My rating system has a different scale and manual wins every time.
If you want fuel econ buy a prius

Not that there's anything wrong with justifying something based on fuel econ. If it makes you feel good, do it.
You conveniently left out the manual is slower too

Wouldn't be fun if you got a manual, your buddy got the auto 4 and constantly beat you from every stoplight

Like I said before, I drive manual, always have. But it's just not better anymore.
You can prefer a manual, you can enjoy a manual, but you're now taking a performance and efficiency penalty along with the extra fun

I could churn my own butter too, but really what's the point

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I honestly don't need to go faster either, don't need more tickets. Otherwise I would get the 2.7 auto.
I get what you're saying about efficiency, but I'm not sold. If I worried about efficiency and speed I'd keep my boring automatic accord
You say manual is not 'better', we just use two different scales of what 'better' is

Sponsored

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve preferred a manual transmission since I learned to drive it. With this application though, it would be a 2.7L EcoBoost that would be driving my decision on going Autoā€”for now.
Itā€™s all a house of cards....first you upgrade to auto then that means you can get the Sasquatch and then itā€™s cheaper to get the v6 and then you decide to just go for it and get the wildtark with lux and as itā€™s being towed away by the repo company you start thinking ā€maybe I should have stuck with the base with manual after allā€

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
(JFK VOICE)
"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are Hahd!"
I will be offroading all over the continent in my Bronco, and the extra challenge of the manual makes "making it there" that much more rewarding for me.
I tend to get more satisfaction from accomplishing things that not everyone else can. A couple of months ago, I was being told I was nuts by fellow offroad enthusiasts, for riding my heavy, underpowered, carbureted dual sport motorcycle over Imogene Pass. It was a challenge, and I often thought about turning back, but now the photos taken at the top are a reminder of one of my proudest moments as a motorcyclist. Sure, doing it on a fuel injected, 250lb KTM with twice the power would have been easier, but anyone can do that, right?
The fun is in the challenge.
Wheeling with 3 pedals is where the fun is for me.
One-pedal trail assist? No thanks.
I can appreciate the technology, but I will think less of the people who can't "get there" without it.
Grumpy old man here....

Obi-Wan Broncoby

Outer Banks
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Itā€™s all a house of cards....first you upgrade to auto then that means you can get the Sasquatch and then itā€™s cheaper to get the v6 and then you decide to just go for it and get the wildtark with lux and as itā€™s being towed away by the repo company you start thinking ā€maybe I should have stuck with the base with manual after allā€
Damn man, thatā€™s harsh. Think Iā€™ll go ahead and pay cash.

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am, kind of. First, I really would like the 2.7. Second, last winter I slipped on ice getting out of my car, and tore the PCL and MCL and meniscus in my left knee. It is now sometimes tough clutching in my Focus, especially if it's cold or raining. The Bronco most likely would be a bit worse.

Sponsored

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I respect everyone's opinion and reasoning on both the MT and AT. As a young man I liked jamming gears. Today I'm older and not physically able to use the MT as effectively. The vast improvements in the AT's of today makes perfect sense for this guy to not think twice about getting the AT. My opinion...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I like the manual because Iā€™m detail oriented and just enjoy it. I like being involved in the process, like riding a motorcycle or flying a plane. Iā€™m not just along for the ride. I also just donā€™t care about the newest technology, even if it is cool and fun. I donā€™t have a smart phone either. Has nothing to do with which is faster or better. Iā€™m not trying to impress. Just enjoying life.

I also like old school trail turn assist- locker and the right amount of gas.

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I reserved a BL MT because I do like manuals. The dedicated crawl gear and 4.7 gear ratio also sound awesome. But the more I've thought about it, I too am starting to lean towards the 2.7 auto. Basically, I figure you're never going to regret having more power, but there's a good chance you will regret having too little power. Also, some of those gimmicky features do seem fun. Trail Turn Assist seems like a cool party trick to show everybody when you're out on the trails. I don't really see myself using the Trail Control often but I could see some situations where it might be handy. Also, it seems like the 2.7 is a better engine. It was designed from the ground up to be a turbo motor whereas the 2.3 was retro-fitted to be a turbo. Ultimately, it will probably come down to total price and fuel economy. It will be interesting to see what the EPA rating will be on these now that Ford has been called out for artificially inflating their EPA ratings on the Ranger and F-150.
Tune it..