Or
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What did you end up ordering? I'm in the same boat. I have the original ones and not sure which additional ones I need / replace to more beef ones.
Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What did you end up ordering? I'm in the same boat. I have the original ones and not sure which additional ones I need / replace to more beef ones.
On 4 door badlands, you could just add the transmission skid from Asfir. They also sell a bracket for the oem transfer case skid to give it some extra strength. LiteBrite has a video showing their underside with factory skids and they had bent their factory transfer case skid upward, granted it still did it’s job. mine’s a base Sasquatch with mod bumper and bash. I added a factory transfer case skid because it’s cheap and I went with Asfir for fuel tank and transmission. easy installs and so far so good.

First Name
Or
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On 4 door badlands, you could just add the transmission skid from Asfir. They also sell a bracket for the oem transfer case skid to give it some extra strength. LiteBrite has a video showing their underside with factory skids and they had bent their factory transfer case skid upward, granted it still did it’s job. mine’s a base Sasquatch with mod bumper and bash. I added a factory transfer case skid because it’s cheap and I went with Asfir for fuel tank and transmission. easy installs and so far so good.

Thanks for the suggestion! people commenting that the factory ones are not strong enough, and I plan on doing rock crawling and want to know that I will not break anything, also ideally I would want to use aluminum to save weight but people also commenting that its not strong enough / slide well on rocks.

All this info just get me more confused..

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ended up buying Metalcloak because they are available. Most the other manufacturers are a 60+ day wait. Asfir is also available without having to wait.

My thread on the install...
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-armor-skidplates-installation-writeup.46018/

LOD, JCR or Metalcloak is a substantial upgrade. If I had factory skids I would most likely only upgrade to LOD transmission and transfer case skids. Really like LOD transfer case skid and you can slowly buy it piece by piece.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the suggestion! people commenting that the factory ones are not strong enough, and I plan on doing rock crawling and want to know that I will not break anything, also ideally I would want to use aluminum to save weight but people also commenting that its not strong enough / slide well on rocks.

All this info just get me more confused..
I’m not an expert by any means but I’ve done some research. Check out the LiteBrite video where they review trail damage with factory skids. My take away is the factory ones may not hold up for years of bashing, but I wouldn’t worry about using them. I’d buy some rear shock protectors and look into any solutions for the trailing arm brackets for the BL. I’m not sure which ones work with the BL due to the extra piece of steel welded to them.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Torn between Metalcloak and JCR .....any thoughts on either?

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Torn between Metalcloak and JCR .....any thoughts on either?
I would have bought JCR if they didn't have such a back log. I like the recessed bolts and the fact you get a bash plate.

Biggest draw back to Metalcloak is all the different size sockets and hexs to pull the skid plates. I want to scale down all misc tools I have to carry.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you need to remove the fuel tank straps when you install the gas tank skid?
Yeah, the metal cloak setup reused the strap bolts in multiple locations.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My tank already a few marks lol.
PXL_20220502_193820206.jpg
Oh wow. I wonder how durable the plastic is?? I was thinking of getting a gas tank skid but if it can withstand the occasional bump then I might not.
Don’t risk it. The replacement cost of even the smaller, 2-door fuel tank is almost equivalent to an entire skid plate system from JcrOffroad, and that’s not even factoring in labor for removal and installation.

Ford Bronco Skid plate purchase opinions B3658E32-3F32-4EBE-9E4E-EC817D8A3C07

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don’t risk it. The replacement cost of even the smaller, 2-door fuel tank is almost equivalent to an entire skid plate system from JcrOffroad, and that’s not even factoring in labor for removal and installation.

Ford Bronco Skid plate purchase opinions B3658E32-3F32-4EBE-9E4E-EC817D8A3C07
Oof

Sponsored

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t understand the OEM kit. It includes the front bash plate and engine skid… and is for only the modular bumper… but the modular bumper automatically comes with the front bash plate and engine skid. So do you just have half of the kit as extra parts that aren’t needed? Or am I missing something?

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t understand the OEM kit. It includes the front bash plate and engine skid… and is for only the modular bumper… but the modular bumper automatically comes with the front bash plate and engine skid. So do you just have half of the kit as extra parts that aren’t needed? Or am I missing something?
BUMP
Does anybody have an answer?
It seems crazy to buy this kit and 100% of the time half of the kit is duplicated for the customer it doesn’t make sense.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BUMP
Does anybody have an answer?
It seems crazy to buy this kit and 100% of the time half of the kit is duplicated for the customer it doesn’t make sense.
You are understanding it correctly. It doesn’t make much sense. I added Asfir gas tank and transmission skids and bought the oem transfer case skid. Happy with that for now

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are understanding it correctly. It doesn’t make much sense. I added Asfir gas tank and transmission skids and bought the oem transfer case skid. Happy with that for now
Thanks for the clarification.

I thought about that route but the shipping kills it. The kit delivered to the dealer costs the same as just the two pieces from ASFIR with shipping.
I may just get the kit, try to get some money for the front and engine skids on eBay and get the ASFIR tranny skid call it a day

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought about that route but the shipping kills it. The kit delivered to the dealer costs the same as just the two pieces from ASFIR with shipping.
I may just get the kit, try to get some money for the front and engine skids on eBay and get the ASFIR tranny skid call it a day
Yeah that could work. I liked the weight savings of the aluminum gas skid and the transfer case skid was only about $50 from ruxer
Sponsored