Sponsored

Snow Chains for my Sasquatch ? Anyone Else Use these.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Owners manual (OM)...and the search function...

Not sure you should wrap SAS tires, especially the rears. You may want to dig into the OM.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did Ray Charles put them on? Sorry but they should be evenly distributed if you are going to use them, these look too small to me. Owners manual says no go.

USING SNOW CHAINS

Ford Bronco Snow Chains for my Sasquatch ? Anyone Else Use these. 2E4A6B67-5DA5-466B-927A-28EB6FB11092
WARNING: Do not exceed 30 mph (50 km/h). Failure to follow this instruction could result in the loss of control of your vehicle, personal injury or death.
Ford Bronco Snow Chains for my Sasquatch ? Anyone Else Use these. 2E4A6B67-5DA5-466B-927A-28EB6FB11092
WARNING: Do not use snow chains on snow-free roads.
WARNING: Only fit snow chains to specified tires.
WARNING: If your vehicle is fitted with wheel trims, remove them before fitting snow chains.
WARNING: If you choose to install snow tires on your vehicle, they must be the same size, construction, and load range as the original tires listed on the tire placard, and they must be installed on all four wheels. Mixing tires of different size or construction on your vehicle can adversely affect your vehicle's handling and braking, and may lead to loss of vehicle control.
Only use snow chains on rear wheels. Install snow chains in pairs. Do not use self-tensioning snow chains.
Only use snow chains on the following specified tire sizes:
  • 255/70R16Only install chains that are 15 mm or less.
  • 255/75R17Only install chains that are 15 mm or less.
We recommend you use steel wheels of the same size and specification if snow chains are required because chains may chip aluminum wheels.
Follow these guidelines when using snow tires and traction devices:
  • If possible, avoid fully loading your vehicle.
  • Purchase snow chains from a manufacturer that clearly labels body to tire dimension restrictions.
  • When driving with snow chains do not exceed 30 mph (50 km/h) or the maximum speed recommended by the chain manufacturer, whichever is less.
  • Drive cautiously. If you hear the snow chains rub or bang against the vehicle, stop and tighten them. If this does not work, remove the snow chains to prevent vehicle damage.
  • Remove the snow chains when they are no longer needed. Do not use snow chains on dry roads.
  • If a temporary spare wheel is mounted on your vehicle, do not use snow chains on the axle with the temporary spare wheel.

Use snow chains that fit against the sidewall of the tire to prevent the chains from touching the wheel rims or suspension, see following illustration above.
If you have any questions regarding snow chains, please contact your authorized dealer.

khudgi

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 4x4 CC / 2023 F350 CC LAR 4x4 PS 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had chains I used in the past, switched to the socks. Do not have a set for the Bronco yet, but on the wish list.

OP
OP
Skeeterjack

Skeeterjack

Outer Banks
First Name
RON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018MUSTANG GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did Ray Charles put them on? Sorry but they should be evenly distributed if you are going to use them, these look too small to me. Owners manual says no go.

USING SNOW CHAINS

WARNING: Do not exceed 30 mph (50 km/h). Failure to follow this instruction could result in the loss of control of your vehicle, personal injury or death.
WARNING: Do not use snow chains on snow-free roads.
WARNING: Only fit snow chains to specified tires.
WARNING: If your vehicle is fitted with wheel trims, remove them before fitting snow chains.
WARNING: If you choose to install snow tires on your vehicle, they must be the same size, construction, and load range as the original tires listed on the tire placard, and they must be installed on all four wheels. Mixing tires of different size or construction on your vehicle can adversely affect your vehicle's handling and braking, and may lead to loss of vehicle control.
Only use snow chains on rear wheels. Install snow chains in pairs. Do not use self-tensioning snow chains.
Only use snow chains on the following specified tire sizes:
  • 255/70R16Only install chains that are 15 mm or less.
  • 255/75R17Only install chains that are 15 mm or less.
We recommend you use steel wheels of the same size and specification if snow chains are required because chains may chip aluminum wheels.
Follow these guidelines when using snow tires and traction devices:
  • If possible, avoid fully loading your vehicle.
  • Purchase snow chains from a manufacturer that clearly labels body to tire dimension restrictions.
  • When driving with snow chains do not exceed 30 mph (50 km/h) or the maximum speed recommended by the chain manufacturer, whichever is less.
  • Drive cautiously. If you hear the snow chains rub or bang against the vehicle, stop and tighten them. If this does not work, remove the snow chains to prevent vehicle damage.
  • Remove the snow chains when they are no longer needed. Do not use snow chains on dry roads.
  • If a temporary spare wheel is mounted on your vehicle, do not use snow chains on the axle with the temporary spare wheel.

Use snow chains that fit against the sidewall of the tire to prevent the chains from touching the wheel rims or suspension, see following illustration above.
If you have any questions regarding snow chains, please contact your authorized dealer.
Thanks for your input. Don’t see any convincing information why you should not use them. They are consider light duty by the manufacture and made for this tire size. Lots of clearance around the wheel and they don’t touch the rims. Maybe Ford can give me a better reason.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check the inside of the wheel. That's where the clearance is important so they don't rip out brake lines, ABS sensors, etc. and/or hang up on the upper control arm.

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m going up to big bear this morning. Was wondering about chains. But saw the owners manual said to use only on the non squatch tires. Why is that? Is California the only state that requires chains?

OP
OP
Skeeterjack

Skeeterjack

Outer Banks
First Name
RON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018MUSTANG GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think it has more to do with a problem if they come off while driving. Could rip out break lines or sensors. I have a set on my squatch and there is lots of clearence. I would only use them to get out of a ditch or up an icy hill. Can’t see my self driving any great distance with them as the standard good year tire have lots of tread. Let me know if you here of a better reason not to use them. Cheers

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have been running them on my FE while on my 35" tires and after a 3" lift, on 37s. I had to notch my rear crash bars for clearance on the 37s and chains.. If I am fully loaded and I stuff a rear tire, I can hear a slight scrape up against my rear inner fender liner. With zero-offset wheels or a wheel spacer <derail discussion with various opinions on spacers here> they fit on the front well. I have posted up pictures of the clearance with 35s and 37s on this forum. If you have ever been on a sheet of ice, sliding down a steep trail towards trees or other rigs, you will appreciate the chains, even if you have never needed them on your local snowy highway! Stock offset wheels can't use chains with any real margin of safety, but I did run them that way at low speeds once to test the concept for emergency use. The first post has a setup that makes me cringe more than a little. There are lots of quality, correctly sized chains (and cables) out there.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford already had this covered in 1969! :cool:

Ford Bronco Snow Chains for my Sasquatch ? Anyone Else Use these. IMG_3130

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I keep a disposable set in my rear end for emergency use (or to show CHP if they decide I shouldn’t be driving home - thanks California)

If I were going in serious snow I’d get a nice fitted set, but I’ve only ever been in a situation where I have no-crap needed chains once.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have been running them on my FE while on my 35" tires and after a 3" lift, on 37s. I had to notch my rear crash bars for clearance on the 37s and chains.. If I am fully loaded and I stuff a rear tire, I can hear a slight scrape up against my rear inner fender liner. With zero-offset wheels or a wheel spacer <derail discussion with various opinions on spacers here> they fit on the front well. I have posted up pictures of the clearance with 35s and 37s on this forum. If you have ever been on a sheet of ice, sliding down a steep trail towards trees or other rigs, you will appreciate the chains, even if you have never needed them on your local snowy highway! Stock offset wheels can't use chains with any real margin of safety, but I did run them that way at low speeds once to test the concept for emergency use. The first post has a setup that makes me cringe more than a little. There are lots of quality, correctly sized chains (and cables) out there.
Truth here. I have used chains often, especially off road (not on the Bronco yet, but i always carry) they can be a life saver or the only way. Just like a hi lift jack you need to know what you are doing and take responsibility for your actions.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought we've had threads here before that CHP doesn't care about Broncos having chains?
There are some areas where they say "4WD OK with Snow Tires" (and they consider M+S a snow tire), and there are other areas (like the Sierra passes) - where they just say "Chains are Mandatory"

I only see them get enforced when they do the checkpoints at the turnoffs for chain installation during snow events. But when they do, they are pretty strict about it.

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m going up to big bear this morning. Was wondering about chains. But saw the owners manual said to use only on the non squatch tires. Why is that? Is California the only state that requires chains?
California does not require you to use chains. If you have 4WD with M+S tires (all Broncos do I believe) then you can pass chain control in the mountains. The regulations do say that you have to carry (not actually use) those chains in chain control areas, but few 4WD actually do.

I'm back and forth to Tahoe for years and have never had an issue with chain control in an Audi Q5, Tacoma, defender and the Braptor.
Sponsored