First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hope you're OK, I had a similar accident long ago and the damage to my Toyota pickup was minimal but I had a concussion (the Mercedes I hit looked like the trunk turned into an accordion).

Hope repairs are covered and done quickly - good luck!
Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unfortunately most municipalities aren’t responsible to pay for stuff like this. A cop wrecked into my wife’s parked car while texting and totaled it. We knew the chief and he basically told us to bad so sad. We did have gap insurance on the car and it ended up costing us a ton.
That's when you go after the cop as an individual with a good lawyer. Different routes for different states with different laws, but I witnessed a good friend go through this. At the time he owned a body shop that specialized in higher end paint jobs and body restorations. Local PD got in a car chase with a guy. Car got wrecked. He then climbed two fences and he and the cops chasing him proceeded to screw up several high dollar cars parked and covered in a fenced / locked lot.

Cops told him "we aren't responsible". He hired a lawyer. Took six months and an interesting interview with the local news station, but he was reimbursed every dime - including lawyer fees and his time.

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A friend of mine had similar damage to his titan in a similar accident with zero external visible damage. It bent his front frame rails to the point he needed a full cab off frame replacement. I would be weary of saying that it is only minimal damage with that hard of a hit. That energy went somewhere, and just because you cannot see it does not mean the supports and front frame horns aren't structurally buckled. Keep us updated with the damage.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think with a littler perseverance the police department and their government funding body, would have no issue paying your out of pocket deductible. They just hope you walk away.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's when you go after the cop as an individual with a good lawyer. Different routes for different states with different laws, but I witnessed a good friend go through this. At the time he owned a body shop that specialized in higher end paint jobs and body restorations. Local PD got in a car chase with a guy. Car got wrecked. He then climbed two fences and he and the cops chasing him proceeded to screw up several high dollar cars parked and covered in a fenced / locked lot.

Cops told him "we aren't responsible". He hired a lawyer. Took six months and an interesting interview with the local news station, but he was reimbursed every dime - including lawyer fees and his time.
Like you said, different states different laws etc.

The police blew up this guys house in Colorado.

https://www.westword.com/news/color...update-and-us-supreme-court-petition-11662729

Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1st, sorry for your bad luck.

So... the PD paying for this?

How much damage do you know of?

Edit: maybe a more explanatory title will draw more attention to this.
lol no the PD will refuse to take blame and pay for anything.

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you’re ok.

On this anecdote, could you cite sources?

heck the it was in the news that the city of lansing, MI has suspended pulling anyone over for minor infractions because they don’t want altercations between drivers and the police. They said unless it’s an immediate danger to someone they will not pull anyone over

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Glad you’re ok.

On this anecdote, could you cite sources?
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-g...ce-agencies-rethink-value-minor-traffic-stops

https://www.michiganradio.org/famil...-motorists-for-secondary-violations?_amp=true

More stipulations than the news let on. I don’t live or travel there often so I didn’t look it up until now.

I pass or get passed daily by people with no plates at all. In Battle Creek and Marshall. Must not be too many getting pulled over to still see it daily.
best I ever seen was 20 years ago in Walled lake. Someone had taken a paper plate and wrote Michigan license plate on it and was driving around lol

CP650

First Name
C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't know Texas Laws - but in VA, if you hit someone in the rear, it's almost always YOUR fault. Doesn't matter the reason. According to a VA State Trooper and the Traffic Court judge (I had to sit there for hours and eventually got my ticket dismissed - and witnessed this guy arguing this ticket for following too close for a LONG TIME so it sticks in my memory) if a driver cannot stop in time to NOT hit the car in front of them, they were following too close for speed / conditions.

Regardless - good luck.
Had the same situation here in Cali. Driver in front slammed on the breaks for a car crossing the intersection on red. I couldn't stop in time and rear ended them. I was put at fault for "following too close", which in all honesty I was for the 40 mph limit. Most of us "follow too close" if we look at the recommendations for following distance.

Sponsored

xerato

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The same situation happened to me as well. Getting the proper answer from PD may be hard, especially if you didn't call them immediately to report the accident. It would help if you got a good car accident lawyer. Filling out the car accident report and sending the application to PD is very important in your case. In my situation, I approached a good car accident lawyer service https://puschnguyen.com/houston-car-accident-lawyer/ that helped me deal with the papers and complete my appeal to Police Department. Need to say that these guys know their job. Lawyers solved all issues perfectly in a short period.

Last edited:

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No idea who they said is responsible. USAA said I have a $500 deductible and that’s it but the other driver had a salvage title, no license, no insurance, and fake license plates.
I am taking it in Thursday to be fully looked at but from what I can see it’s just the damage in the photos and my bumper is a bit crooked.
When I read your post, I thought no license, no insurance, fake plates…..ahh this poster must live in Houston….. BAZINGA!!!

I’ve lived here 38 years now, and I would guess (from my direct experience) that close to 1/2 of all the cars/drivers do not have insurance, maybe more. For those of you that don’t live here, you must have insurance to register your car every year. Unfortunately, you can purchase 1 month of insurance and get your vehicle inspected and registered, and have no intent to continue coverage. The sellers of this “insurance” have little to no liability. It’s just a cash cow for them.

If you are in an accident here and the person who is liable has no insurance, you MUST get the cop to at least ticket the person for no insurance so that its documented and your uninsured motorist coverage will at least protect you.

I was involved in an accident here and the cop did not cite the liable driver for not having insurance. This caused my insurance company to be in a legal “limbo”, not knowing if my uninsured motorist coverage was applicable of not. This included deductibles, repair costs and rental coverage. This drug on for several years since the liable driver would never respond, even when sued by my insurance company.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I read your post, I thought no license, no insurance, fake plates…..ahh this poster must live in Houston….. BAZINGA!!!

I’ve lived here 38 years now, and I would guess (from my direct experience) that close to 1/2 of all the cars/drivers do not have insurance, maybe more. For those of you that don’t live here, you must have insurance to register your car every year. Unfortunately, you can purchase 1 month of insurance and get your vehicle inspected and registered, and have no intent to continue coverage. The sellers of this “insurance” have little to no liability. It’s just a cash cow for them.

If you are in an accident here and the person who is liable has no insurance, you MUST get the cop to at least ticket the person for no insurance so that its documented and your uninsured motorist coverage will at least protect you.

I was involved in an accident here and the cop did not cite the liable driver for not having insurance. This caused my insurance company to be in a legal “limbo”, not knowing if my uninsured motorist coverage was applicable of not. This included deductibles, repair costs and rental coverage. This drug on for several years since the liable driver would never respond, even when sued by my insurance company.
This is total BS! I guess we just keep rewarding irresponsibility and see where it gets us as a society. This world is so effed... a sad, sad place we are heading...

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Call me crazy, but based on the description in post #1, OP is at fault in this crash. Sounds unambiguously like a case of not leaving enough following distance. The first car getting cut off could be the cops fault, but the second following driver is 100% responsible for what their bumper hits.
Sponsored