Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We laugh but for us older guys this could be a real pain in the back. I like the idea of a hoist but storage of those would be a pain too.

My big off road truck had 200 lb tire / wheel combo. I used a come-along to lower the spare out of the bed and then raise it back up. Just pushing a 200 lb wheel/tire out of the bed could hurt someone when the bed was 5 feet in the air.
Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do any of you veteran offroaders have any tips, techniques, or tools on the best way to remove the spare tire and then remount it?
I am trying to plan for the flat tire I will encounter some day and hoping to avoid a hernia
out on the trails, just have a cooler with beer with the lid up next to your flat. youll get all the help you need. jk

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've always made use of the hitch as an intermediate lift spot. That also helps for alignment before the final lift onto the lugs. This is the first time I'll have the camera stalk to work with. That'll help with lining up the studs.

If you have good balance, you can also get a knee under the tire once it's on the hitch to help lift.

But the best way to handle large tires is to get your buddy to help.

2ndgenirish

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am considering a Bronco Raptor with stock 37’s and am worried about the weight of tires. I have read the above posts and still am trying to figure out a plan.

There is a scissors jack on the vehicle. Would someone with more experience comment on the possibility of using a scissors jack to demount/mount the spare.

Thanks!

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am considering a Bronco Raptor with stock 37’s and am worried about the weight of tires. I have read the above posts and still am trying to figure out a plan.

There is a scissors jack on the vehicle. Would someone with more experience comment on the possibility of using a scissors jack to demount/mount the spare.

Thanks!
A scissor jack won't do anything for helping with mounting / dismounting the spare from the tailgate. Just too high.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do any of you veteran offroaders have any tips, techniques, or tools on the best way to remove the spare tire and then remount it?
I am trying to plan for the flat tire I will encounter some day and hoping to avoid a hernia
Get your hips in there... Don't try to hold that wheel up with your arms only. Rest it across your beltline...
If she can do it...

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good video. I haven't tried it that way but definitely a solid way to do it for the larger tire/wheel combos.

Lining up to mount the tire on any corner can be fun too, but is much easier. Just set the height where you barely have to raise the new wheel and put a lever underneath.

Beats what I did for my big off road truck. 44s on 20" steel rims. Combo weighed in at 200-250lb. I used a come-along to get it in and out of the truck bed.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pro tip for avoiding a hernia: make your kid do it while you sit back, supervise, and shout words of encouragement... Learned that from the old man

But seriously as other's said strengthen your legs and learn good lifting technique.

But the better technique is don't lift alone.
Not your kid your wife

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Weight lifting and exercise plan, or two cans of Fix-a-Flat.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

P
35” or larger MT tires are a PITA. Have them on my jeep and truck. Jeep spare is definitely higher up. Sorry I cant help.
PITA...People Eating Tasty Animals???

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've always made use of the hitch as an intermediate lift spot. That also helps for alignment before the final lift onto the lugs. This is the first time I'll have the camera stalk to work with. That'll help with lining up the studs.

If you have good balance, you can also get a knee under the tire once it's on the hitch to help lift.

But the best way to handle large tires is to get your buddy to help.
Good idea about the hitch. Build an adapter to mount your jack on. Lift the spare off, change the tire, lift the flat back on. This is your $1M idea.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Use your AAA Card and if you don't have one, get one!

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't get a 37". those get real heavy especially Nitto's. My 37 x 12.5 x 17" Ridge Grapplers mounted on Icon alloys were about 120#'s each. That's a whopper. These 35's are cake compared to that.
Sponsored