Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Spare Tire Dismount/Mount Tips? 1614514616404

Do your own rotations every 5k miles and you’ll be used to it. It is bulky and awkward to move, but not that difficult.
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dumb question - maybe... I've never owned a vehicle with a spare on the back before. Is it just secured with lugs like the other wheels? If the answer is "yes" something like this could help. Most of my cars have stud sets installed but on those that don't I keep one of these in the trunk, really helps aligning the wheel when doing a regular mount / dismount. I can't imagine the spare would be any different.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/wheel-hanger-m14x15-thread/002840sch01a/
Thanks for the post! That could help for sure on the back of the bronco. But I wouldn't even try it with those, since they are made from aluminum. It likely wouldn't support the weight of such a large wheel and tire if you dropped it a little hard onto it. It will just snap off. If that happens you might not be ready and be hurt badly or scratch the wheel. It says its anodized for hardness.... that's just a harder surface to protect against scratches.

I'm going to whip one up on a lathe. If you know a machinist they should be able to make one real easy for you out of steel.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Dismount/Mount Tips? 1614520655401

These don’t look that heavy! :cool:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thinking there will be at least a couple warranty claims for that.
Ford Bronco Spare Tire Dismount/Mount Tips? 1614523912447

It’s only a matter of time until someone tries to replicate this look. 😉

OP
OP
JHawk

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ride with friends who have the same vehicle and tire size. Don’t carry a spare and just use theirs.

bead locks, tire patches, plugs , and a co2 tank will help, so hopefully you can fix it and not change it. Only had to pop the spare one time. My Fj came with metal valve stems that had no give in the rocks. Took about 10 seconds for it to be completely flat. Finished the trail and next day got new wheels with rubber valve stems. Haven’t had A problem since.
Thanks everyone. I have read several good tips. I also overlooked the obvious option of repairing in the field vs change and now I have another reason to get off my butt and get in better shape :)

Sponsored

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted this as a joke a while back, but could be useful for assisting with the spare tire :)

As had been suggested already, a cooler and a recovery board as a ramp could ease the burden of loading and unloading a heavy spare when the old back is acting up.

OP
OP
JHawk

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@JHawk A trailer hitch mounted game hoist or crane could be adapted for spare use or used as the basis for a custom built one.

Truck Hitch Game Hoist

MaxxHaul Hitch Mounted Crane

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Dismount/Mount Tips? 1614526849016
Thanks for giving me other options to consider. I think that my plan for now is to get to the gym for multiple reasons. Then as I age consider one of these options and I will have extra stuff to take. The game hoist reminds me of all those years we would drag and load elk, what a workout. Learning to quarter them out where they fall was a real game changer. Now we can haul the quarters out on 4 wheelers.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let it fall to get it off and then go park next to a rock or under a tree(winch or ratchet strap) or in a hole to help put it on. Take a jeeper with you and roll it up on their big ass bumper even.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Call a plumber, because this pipe's about to burst!

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Dismount/Mount Tips? tenor[1]

On topic: Generally if you're trying to remove the wheel off the tailgate, guiding a controlled fall instead of a lowering using arm power will be beneficial. Just watch for that bounce, it'll get ya!

As for the re-mounting of the blown tire, i've seen people use their coolers as a staging area to make the final lift shorter, and also remove that deep squat from the equation.
Sponsored