Sponsored

Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips.

ElBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I put the main part on then mounted the winch. It was a royal pain!! Took an hour or so longer to mount the winch. If I did it again I’d follow the directions and mount the winch to the plate first. Also if you get the light test for before starting. Mine was a really tight fit.
Thanks the heads up! Maybe I'll try mount the winch to the tray and drop it on the mount as one piece.

I have the RC light bar coming, is it possible to install the light after the fact when everything's mounted? Looked like there might be some space under to slide up in. I want to get this winch on and getting tired of waiting for the light.
Sponsored

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks the heads up! Maybe I'll try mount the winch to the tray and drop it on the mount as one piece.

I have the RC light bar coming, is it possible to install the light after the fact when everything's mounted? Looked like there might be some space under to slide up in. I want to get this winch on and getting tired of waiting for the light.
I mounted the light after but it’s a real tight squeeze. If you could set it in the mount towards the bumper then put the top plate on it would be easier. I scuffed the light housing putting it in afterwards and had to touch it up. I definitely made the install 5 times harder by not following directions. 🤣

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with the benefits of "following directions". I took a misstep by connecting the wiring pigtail to the chassis-end first, in place of connecting it to the sensor first - this created all sorts of problems later on, as I had to route the wire through the plate hole, and found the winch blocking most of the hole... I made it work, but would not recommend it.

br.jonathan

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got my JCR camera relocation installed. Everything on it is good. I think the only downside is it sticks out a bit far forward so its likely to be the first thing to hit the garage wall if I pull in too far, although thats why we have sensors that beep at us too.

My JCR Pre-runner bar is arriving tomorrow, that will complete the bumper for me. I'm not sure if it will stick out further than the camera.

1656382993143.png
1656383040781.png
1656383017567.png
1656383060640.png
1656383068743.png
Do you have photo with full install including prerunner bar?

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have photo with full install including prerunner bar?
Yeah here it is side-on. Not the best pic because of the black truck behind there.

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1665011178715

Here it is from an angle

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1665011243878

Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah here it is side-on. Not the best pic because of the black truck behind there.

Here it is from an angle

Are you feeling the extra weight up front via the steering wheel? I don't have an extra bar installed, but with the mount/winch at 80 lbs., already miss how light the steering used to be.

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you feeling the extra weight up front via the steering wheel? I don't have an extra bar installed, but with the mount/winch at 80 lbs., already miss how light the steering used to be.
I noticed a small difference when I installed it all, but day-to-day I forget there's all that extra weight in front so IMO its negligible. I have my little Volkswagen R32 for when I want something with good driving dynamics.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed a small difference when I installed it all, but day-to-day I forget there's all that extra weight in front so IMO its negligible. I have my little Volkswagen R32 for when I want something with good driving dynamics.
I don't notice the added steering effort when under way, but only while maneuvering in the driveway or while parking. On another note, I clicked the Bronco into Sport mode today, and it did admirably through some twisties, keeping up with a nimble little Civic. The Bronco amazes me everyday.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didn't notice any difference whatsoever. It's my wife's daily driver, she never noticed anything. She didn't even realize I'd put it on there until I mentioned to her where the remote was in case she needed it lol.

Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's one problem after another.

I've "completed" my winch install, and have a Warn Sidewinder for a winch hook; the Sidewinder is so thick that it's appearing in my JCR-relocated camera feed - see pics. Are you JCR-reloc. bracket guys seeing your winch hooks (Factor 55?) in your camera video? For reference, I have the JCR bracket installed "behind" the RC mount fore-plate so that the camera doesn't jut out too much - I could move it out to be sandwiched between winch plate and the Warn fairlead, if it comes to that.

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. PXL_20221010_204849142
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. PXL_20221010_204934058
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. PXL_20221010_205011065

Last edited:

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's one problem after another.

I've "completed" my winch install, and have a Warn Sidewinder for a winch hook; the Sidewinder is so thick that it's appearing in my JCR-relocated camera feed - see pics. Are you JCR-reloc. bracket guys seeing your winch hooks (Factor 55?) in your camera video? For reference, I have the JCR bracket installed "behind" the RC mount fore-plate so that the camera doesn't jut out too much - I could move it out to be sandwiched between winch plate and the Warn fairlead, if it comes to that.

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. PXL_20221010_205011065
I'm going metal-less mostly for safety, but also b/c I saw the big hooks sticking out in the camera views.

https://yankum.com/products/winch-hawse-groove-fairlead

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the RC high winch mount and Badlands Apex winch this morning. Was pretty easy. I did it solo. I installed the mount first, put the winch on top and secured the front two screws. You can’t get the back screws in with the mount tight as there is not enough clearance. So I backed the mount bolts off 3 turns, used a jack to lift the front of the mount up slightly. That new angel allowed me to insert the rear bolts to the mount. Made it very easy to do it solo. Installed the light bar after the winch was installed.

I need to remove my control box but will do that later. Wanted this setup done before the Big Dogs off road event this weekend.
Sponsored