Sponsored

Steering Caster affected by taller tires (and no other changes)?

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s been a long time for me as well and I used to race Mac strut/torsion beam stuff which is why I was completely forgetting to consider the back end in my original comment. Started to wonder if I even still had my old papers but then remembered we live in the magical age of the Interwebs now.

Behold… https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/roll-centre-and-roll-moment/

So on the front end, what the article is calling instant center remains constant in relation to the chassis but the roll center is determined by the intersection of the lines from the instant centers to the center of the contact patches. As the radius of the tires increases the instant centers will rise with the chassis but where those lines intersect will not rise at the same rate. Assuming the CoG remains in about the same position relative to the chassis the roll center will likely drop in relation to it, though it would rise in relation to the surface the tires are on.

Good info, thanks. Lowering the roll center relative to the center of gravity will increase the tendency to roll in a corner. But, our head already tells us this as vehicle height rises so will CoG which will affect body roll. I enjoy suspension dynamics, but we don't race much any more. In the middle of deciding if I'm going to sell my race car, but I'm going to keep a fun track day car. I'm weird, they're all Jeeps. :)

A bit more here than the OP was asking, but fun to talk about.
Sponsored