Sponsored

Subjective red flags I see... now that I've had some time to let the hype settle in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM_21Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not only does the 4-DR line up more with my needs, but the more I see the 2-DR, the less I like the look. Options are good for everyone.

It sounds like you want a unicorn vehicle that caters to all of your needs. Will it have the size of my explorer? Turn like corvette? Engine size of a Maserati?

1c2dc2db874403ad113f2e86431efb98.png
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its a question, not a statement. What's your answer?

BTW, I was a jeep owner when the first 4 door jeep came out. It was not well received by the owners groups that demanded things like All jeeps having only round headlights and only 7 slats in the Jeep grill. There was some push-back on the 4 door as it transposed the image of a classic offroad rugged vehicle to a mere "grocery getter" My question is what are your thoughts in regards to the new 4 Door bronco. The original classic only had two.... (full disclosure: I've ordered two 4 door Broncos)
I was die-hard 2 door, ready to order since the release. Had a 5400 mile west coast trip planned with my wife and two kids who aren't grown yet. Saw side pics of a real-life 2 door in another thread (at a hotel) and could not, for the life of me, get past the fact it looked so much like a Bronco II. Then I got to thinking about our conundrum with space, the fact that it would be really nice for the kids to have their doors off too for that open air experience, and to see the sights better, feel more connected with the outside world as we drive past Big Sur or a giant Redwood.
I thought about the fact that if I had a roof rack and basket, that the luggage/packs could go up top and I could now fit all 4 doors behind the rear seat for the trip, and every trip ongoing.
So it's four door for me for:
-Functionality
-Fun open-air experience for ALL passengers
-Ability to actually leave your house with the doors in case you need them later
-a wee bit more cargo space
-ability to get the slide out tailgate (not available on the 2 door)
-It looks mean and tactical as can be with the top and doors off, much like a Rubicon Recon.

SO yeah, to each their own.
I could not care less what anyone else buys and if I am the only one with a 4 door, so be it. Their money is not mine or my concern.
I'll be rocking the 4 door both on and definitely off road with the WT and anyone in a 2 door who judges me can go right on judging, doesn't bother me. I'm not buying it for their approval into a club. I'm buying it for me and my family, and what suits our needs/wants.

Last edited:

ItsAfram

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not one to choose the options for a $50k vehicle based on what so called "purists" think.
If anyone wants to call me a sissy for having 2 extra doors, no sweat off my back.
Things evolve, if you want to be a purist, go right ahead. But i will gladly use my smartphone over a payphone, use an air compressor vs hand tools, and drive whatever I want because it's my $.

OP
OP
tn3sport

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your turning radius is good in the Explorer - and you claim the Bronco is smaller - I’m it quite sure where your concern for the turning radius of the Bronco is coming from.

JK
Bronco is wider. Turning radius is important as it makes close maneuvering easier. But, typically its a feature that is engineered and not as much dependent on the size of the vehicle. i.e. The Toyota FJ is smaller, yet has a horrible turning radius. U-Turns suck in that vehicle.
I honestly have no idea if the Bronco will excel in this quality and comfort of driving experience category. I hope they do as I'm buying the 4 door sight unseen....

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 4 door isn’t for “posers” at all. It’s for people that either have a family to lug around, prefer the look, and/or need extra space. Aside from breakover angle and turning radius, the 4 door will be just as capable as the 2 door. They’re borderline identical lol.

Sponsored

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bronco is wider. Turning radius is important as it makes close maneuvering easier. But, typically its a feature that is engineered and not as much dependent on the size of the vehicle. i.e. The Toyota FJ is smaller, yet has a horrible turning radius. U-Turns suck in that vehicle.
I honestly have no idea if the Bronco will excel in this quality and comfort of driving experience category. I hope they do as I'm buying the 4 door sight unseen....
I agree with you. I have a tiny CMax that has a horrible steering radius.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given I asked for your observations/concerns, I assume you're talking about yourself.
Sorry to hear that. Keep working and save up your money.
Talk about projection

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
- Ground clearance is the same as the body on frame versions of the Explorer and the Bronco.
- Approach and departure are significantly better on the Bronco. Bronco is clearly the winner offroad. Which is good as I'm an overlander and motocamper.
- Turning radius on the Explorer is awesome. I can park and get in and out of anywhere....subcompact parking spots? no problem. Pissing off Prius owners is a right of pride. Bronco, will you have a good turning radius or will you make U-Turns like a corvette???
- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
- Cost - I know I drive an old 2009, but its been paid for 10 years now.... New Badlands I have specd with Lux, and Sasquatch, and options will hit $60k.
- Cool factor - duh. Bronco is badass. Body on frame Explorer is dated....

I'm 99% in on committing to the Bronco and it will be awesome. Just some observations now that the hangover has warn off. Anyone else have any "concerns" with the new Bronco?
You complained about the 4 door being for posers then complained that it's too small. Not sure what points you are trying to make.

Also, I think the cliche you were searching for is "now that the honeymoon is over".

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had 5 Explorers (I think). 4.0L, 4.6Triton, 3.5L non EB. All were good, reliable and the body on frame, solid rear axle models were reasonably capable off road. None of those motors touched the 2.7 in terms of power or fuel economy. I will also say with confidence, none of them were designed with any significant off-road intentions. The Explorers were also designed as a family hauler, without a lot of additional durability designed in for heavy use off road or modifications. Irony is, if I remember right, all of them had higher towing capacity than the Bronco, even my current 3.5l non Eco Boost Taurus, uni-body based 2018. (had to mention the crap towing capacity and ridiculous "tow package"). And the posers going to the mall with the doors off? Looks like they are having fun, more power to them and everyone else. Live life on your own terms and be happy!:) I am sure my wife and I will be tooling around with the top off, radio playing, dogs in the back, looking just like all the other suburban Bronco owners in our Ford factory town. Lot's of Ford employees live here and we have a historic Ford plant right downtown in our little burb.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles
Curious, how many 4 door Jeeps have you seen on the trail or rock crawling while you were out and about with that body on frame Explorer? I know I have seen way more 4 door Jeeps on the trails than explorers. And how do you know where those doors off Jeeps were going? I take my doors/top off all the time, throw the kids in the back and hit the trails.

I get it that there are a bunch of mall crawlers out there. But without them the Jeep and/or Bronco would not be a viable vehicle. So instead of throwing shade at them you should thank them as they are the ones that are going to supply the used market with well maintained/un-abused rigs for years to come.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
- Ground clearance is the same as the body on frame versions of the Explorer and the Bronco.
- Approach and departure are significantly better on the Bronco. Bronco is clearly the winner offroad. Which is good as I'm an overlander and motocamper.
- Turning radius on the Explorer is awesome. I can park and get in and out of anywhere....subcompact parking spots? no problem. Pissing off Prius owners is a right of pride. Bronco, will you have a good turning radius or will you make U-Turns like a corvette???
- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
- Cost - I know I drive an old 2009, but its been paid for 10 years now.... New Badlands I have specd with Lux, and Sasquatch, and options will hit $60k.
- Cool factor - duh. Bronco is badass. Body on frame Explorer is dated....

I'm 99% in on committing to the Bronco and it will be awesome. Just some observations now that the hangover has warn off. Anyone else have any "concerns" with the new Bronco?
1) Sure the 2DR is more capable off road; but most wont even use the 4DR capability off-road. My 4DR will see more trail time than most 2DRs. Id hope no one is trying to impress anyone with their vehicle choice - you want a bronco to drive to the mall - you do you.
2 - Yup it’s small. See if your bike will fit in a wrangler.
3 - Why is this a red flag?
4 - Why is this a red flag?
5 - we don’t know we haven’t driven them, but trail turn could be fun
6 - No replacement for displacement is more about the total potential power generation of an engine, and honestly was much more applicable in 1957 when whatever marketing agency created the slogan.
7 - Short wheelbase vehicles with soft off-roading suspension do not make good tow vehicles. It’s less about power and more about driving dynamics
8 - Yup that’s the price
9 - Why is this a red flag?

Cmarch0519

Wildtrak
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m a poser, buying a 4 door Wildtrak that will likely never see any hardcore off-roading. As a family of 5 we need the 4 door, and I like the stance of the Sasquatch and the options the Wildtrak offers.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In the end we all have to make our own decision to purchase or not purchase the new Bronco. To each his own.

I am getting one and am very satisfied with the vehicle. Since I am writing the check that is the only vote that counts.

If you are not satisfied given the price point, don’t buy it and move on. No reason to over think it.

Status
Not open for further replies.