Sponsored

Subjective red flags I see... now that I've had some time to let the hype settle in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
.........but it is also wrong to ignore the fact that this is now just the second current offering of a potential 5 person seating 4x4 with a removable top..........
THIS x1000

If the removable roof and doors and modularity of them don't attract you, the Bronco might not be for you.

That is the #1 reason I am buying a Bronco and if it didn't have that feature, I wouldn't even be here.

That trait formed the basis and foundation for the entire design of the Bronco.

If you are concerned with cargo space or noise/vibration/harshness, there are better options for you like Explorer, 4Runner, etc...

I'm a lifelong Land Cruiser fanatic and I have missed the open top and doors off of my previous FJ40s. And since Im a Toyota guy, I always shunned Jeeps, even though I secretly envied them. I had started to want one but really didn't want to buy one.

The Ford Bronco has saved me from having to go to the dark side and buy a Wrangler that I see 4 of at every intersection.

Trying to compare the Bronco to anything but a Wrangler will probably leave you disappointed in some way.

Im not even sure I understand the point of the OPs post, honestly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JGuske23

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Imagine wanting to spend 50k on something and being worried what others thought about it.

You can watch the 4dr run the same trails as the 2dr with ease on YouTube all day long.

Ford is giving us one of the most easily modified vehicle to customize to our needs and you're worried about what other people may think.. so weird to me

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the new Bronco is supposed to be sort a specialty vehicle; for those who are adventurous, into participating in sports, hiking, etc., or those that want to appear to be that sort of person. It's supposed to be smaller, more maneuverable. For towing a trailer, family road trips, or going to the mall; that's what the Explorer is for. Personally I look at the 2 door as a VERY specialized vehicle, really going to excel off road, but much less than optimal everywhere else. I personally have never had any interest in the 2 door, but the 4 door, I'm waiting to see all the specs and read the reviews.
This: "... or those that want to appear to be that sort of person.".

There are already SUVs on the market to take the kids to sporting events and whatnot. Those SUVs are arguably better at those tasks than the new Bronco. The problem is some people want the new Bronco for the image and not the reality. Thankfully Ford appears to have made a vehicle (Bronco) that is the reality - for people who will use it off-road exploring and utility. That means there will be compromises for those who are buying more for the image and essentially want an SUV in Bronco clothing. To that I say go buy an SUV, it will be a better fit honestly.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been around the Jeep Forums for years and have heard these arguments time and time again. Posers and soccer mom jokes abound. To me "most capable" and "real" are different.

While forums certainly house a disproportionately high percentage of users who actually put the off-road capabilities to the test (and good for you if that's your goal,) the truth is that the VAST majority of these vehicles that Jeep or Ford produces in this narrow segment will never (purposely) venture off the pavement.

And that's ok. It's wrong to ignore the off-road capabilities of the vehicle, but it is also wrong to ignore the fact that this is now just the second current offering of a potential 5 person seating 4x4 with a removable top.

IMO: if you want to take the bronco off-road and put it through its paces, AWESOME! Have fun. But also, if you want to pile it full of kids, and take a ride through the country just to enjoy the sun and wind creating memories with your family while staying comfortably on the road: AWESOME!! have fun.

Valuing the vehicle for a different aspect of its build does not make the user or the vehicle less legitimate. Let's not ignore a significant subset of fellow enthusiasts just because they place more value in a different offering of the same vehicle than we do. Welcome all lovers of these awesome machines.
Yup, my little girls are going to grow up cruising around in this 4dr and having lots of great memories, hopefully many with the top off. This is every much a top off beach cruiser as it is an off roader, especially considering the different ways you can configure it.

Ocarwolf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m a poser, buying a 4 door Wildtrak that will likely never see any hardcore off-roading. As a family of 5 we need the 4 door, and I like the stance of the Sasquatch and the options the Wildtrak offers.
Badlands likely here, and same boat, though probably not going full squatch. I want an SUV that can be both fun and practical. That I can take down to the beach so I can flex my pecs like a man and then also to home depot to pick up some manly things.

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I reserved a 4 Door Base. Needed automatic as it will be a family vehicle to cart around my wife and kid and friends.

I also want the open air feeling of a motorcycle since I'm no longer allowed to have motorcycles (wife's rule)(plus she hated being on the back).

Will it go off-road, yes. Will it be used to it's capabilities, not even close to the Base's capabilities.

I still want the Sasquatch package (it looks cool)(maybe will entice me into off-roading trips), however, I think it will suck even more tow capacity at of the already limited capacity, and I'd rather be able to tow a small camper (with a bathroom) with it. In the end, I probably won't get it.

As for campers, I've found a handful that would work, just can't lose any of the stated tow capacity.

No what gets me, is why couldn't the Base come with 31" tires and at least a LSD rear end? I hope that there are some options for gearing and LSD/lockers for the Base at time of ordering. Otherwise I will probably go to either the Big Bend + Auto + 4.27 E-Locker or the Black Diamond with Auto. Either of those gearing sets should be fine with the 2.3.

I'm also potentially 2 years out from retirement, so I'm close to the KMA club and could care less what others think. Maybe this will help someone else out though as they work through their build!

BigAl

Base
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

People need to chill with the obsession over what OTHER people will use their vehicle for, has no impact on my vehicle. If Karen down the street wants to drop her kids off at soccer practice with the doors and roof off good for her, I hope she enjoys it.

As for the engines, I think the lineup is good enough - Jeep's had success with an extremely bland engine offering for a while now. The majority of SUVs sold in the last decade have naturally aspirated V6 engines rated at about 270hp so I think the 4 banger with 270hp and more torque than a naturally aspirated V6 is pretty fair.

Lastly, lets remember that Ford's goal is to make money, they're going to cover all of their bases so long as it pulls in dollars. If something was left out, it probably wasn't going to be profitable enough for them.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

People need to chill with the obsession over what OTHER people will use their vehicle for, has no impact on my vehicle. If Karen down the street wants to drop her kids off at soccer practice with the doors and roof off good for her, I hope she enjoys it.

As for the engines, I think the lineup is good enough - Jeep's had success with an extremely bland engine offering for a while now. The majority of SUVs sold in the last decade have naturally aspirated V6 engines rated at about 270hp so I think the 4 banger with 270hp and more torque than a naturally aspirated V6 is pretty fair.

Lastly, lets remember that Ford's goal is to make money, they're going to cover all of their bases so long as it pulls in dollars. If something was left out, it probably wasn't going to be profitable enough for them.
exactly this.

Not to mention that the more people buying that vehicle, means more money for the manufacturer to make better cars and do cooler things. look at the cayenne. people laughed. but it gave porsche plenty of money to continue racing and develop cars like the gt3 rs, gt2 rs and gt4 and so on.
jeep/fca is doing the same thing. people are buying jeeps without the need to handle anything off road. but it gives fca the ability to sell every car they make with the hell cat engine.

Cmarch0519

Wildtrak
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Badlands likely here, and same boat, though probably not going full squatch. I want an SUV that can be both fun and practical. That I can take down to the beach so I can flex my pecs like a man and then also to home depot to pick up some manly things.
Haha flex your pecs?. I don’t think one could go wrong with whatever trim level they choose for the Bronco. It’s a bad ass vehicle. I’m excited to compare the Goodyear’s to the 35” open countries we run on our poser 4 door wrangler.

Sponsored

rdperez9411

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 peronal (me and wife) 1 company
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I will be getting a 4 Door. Right now there are only 2 of us in the family and a dog. we are in the stages of planning for a child. I am blessed enough that i have a company car so this vehicle will be a weekend vehicle. My wife's family are jeepers, they introduced me to everything offroad, from moab to mudding to rubicon etc. i will be taking my four door mudding and off road alot. i will be taking my bronco rock climbing (learning to) at least once a year to once every 2 years. i plan on buying additional body panels (my understanding is that it will be modular) specifically to take rock climbing. but thats going to take some time (im not made of money) this vehicle will be a toy. this vehicle is also going to be the very first brand new vehicle (possibly the last as well) i have ever purchased. yes i'm taking it offroad, but need more experience first. i dont want to tear this vehicle up, but i do want to put it to use. i plan to also purchase a boat and i believe this will be enough tow a small wake boat./speedboat. no i dont think you are a poser if you get the four door, but some of us have to be practical with our purchase. i do plan on having this vehicle for a long time.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?

This may help you with your wheels, it's really easy to pull the front if needed which I don't think you will have to

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How many Raptors ever go off road? How many Mustangs ever hit the strip or the track?

No the 4 door is not for posers. Yes there will be plenty of Broncos that never go off road. Just be thankful enough people are buying them to keep them around for the people that use them to the fullest.

As for no replacement for displacement, yes there is. It's called Boost. I have no doubt in my mind that if ford put the HO 3.5 EB in the Mustang it would destroy the 5.0 in accleration

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Well just wait until all the complaints start about wind noise and leaks in the Bronco removable top. Particularly as Ford has additional removable sections compared to Wrangler. It's an ongoing complaint item along with other items on the Wrangler - from some people for whom an SUV probably would have been a better fit.

In a way though, it's a good thing people will buy for the image. Because it helps finance the vehicle for people who really will make use of the removable top/doors, off-road capability and general utility nature compared to an SUV.

Maybe some people should "chill" in wanting Bronco to be an SUV. Thankfully it's not and Ford didn't give us a Blazer.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.