First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am sorry to say this sounds like exactly what happened to me. I'd take it to your dealer asap whether or not they can start work. If it is what happened to me, you won't be driving it and they'll need to start ordering parts asap - including a new engine. It took my dealership 33 days to get everything in and work completed. The parts were the main hold up. If your dealer doesn't have loaners/rentals like mine did, I'd call Ford asap and ask for reimbursement on a rental or for your car payment to be reimbursed. I chose reimbursement since I didn't want to pay up front for a rental and wait on a refund. Best of luck to you! It is very frustrating, but my dealer was personally fantastic throughout the process and Ford made it right by offering me free services for life.
Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep the rental in mind when I take it in!
Sponsored

OP
OP
kingcon99

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wastegate stuck closed sounds very possible and also would match the driving symptoms, if a gate is stuck close it would build max boost and blow the motor but it caught it and is now dumping boost and not building any (guessing). Honestly you guys are like the mob grabbing pitchforks for 2.7s when this doesn’t seem to match up to dropping a valve or blowing a motor at all. Besides when most 2.7s go they shut down and cannot be driven home.
Yeah I was able to get it home (about minutes) after the issue started, but haven’t driven it since, and won’t. Hopefully it’s not the blown engine but we’ll see!

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As promised. Checked hoses and at first glance I’m not noticing anything loose, though I’m inexperienced and likely have missed some.

A0AC2178-CB74-4D5E-9539-A4E6CD4E472E.jpeg
You might be the Jackie Robinson. Hopefully not. No other engines reported with your date code but you you fall into the date range.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wastegate stuck closed sounds very possible and also would match the driving symptoms, if a gate is stuck close it would build max boost and blow the motor but it caught it and is now dumping boost and not building any (guessing). Honestly you guys are like the mob grabbing pitchforks for 2.7s when this doesn’t seem to match up to dropping a valve or blowing a motor at all. Besides when most 2.7s go they shut down and cannot be driven home.
You’re probably right. No way the Ford intern would’ve responded with support if it was a blown 2.7.

Austin Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry to hear that about your Bronco. Have there been any instances of the 2.3L having this problem?

Sponsored

Sav426

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off I’d like to extend my sympathy to OP and hope this is resolved soon.

Second as a person new to Forums why are so many people posting in a manner that EVERY 2.7 is just a time bomb to explode.

Isn’t that a but hyperbolic? How many thousands of 2.7 Broncos are on the road and less than 50 have exploded motors??

I love the info in this community and the majority of helpful people, but geez there are some cremudgin’s in here.

Back to OP, I do hope this all works out for you.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Second as a person new to Forums why are so many people posting in a manner that EVERY 2.7 is just a time bomb to explode.

Isn’t that a but hyperbolic? How many thousands of 2.7 Broncos are on the road and less than 50 have exploded motors??

I love the info in this community and the majority of helpful people, but geez there are some cremudgin’s in here.

Not every 2.7. Just the 2.7s built between May and Oct 2021 for the Bronco. I believe I read it was estimated about 10k or so of these were made. We have 41 documented on here so far, and only have about 10% of Bronco owners on this site, so there are probably over 400 blown engines at this point that were built in the suspected time window. I think that is pretty significant. Combine that with Ford changing the faulty part to a more robust design, then yes I think every engine built in the suspect timeframe are in fact ticking time bombs.

Last edited:

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry, but your statement isn’t the least bit accurate. Read the tracking thread.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-blown-engine-fail-list-41-so-far-march-7-update.31951/

The reported blown 2.7s are a small sample of an almost certain larger number. Not every Bronco owner is on this forum.

There are some(not many) that are very concerned they are on borrowed time given engines have blown with the same Julian date. I feel fortunate so far to be in the “clear gap” with a 21196 JD(knock on wood).

The hope is there is visibility and Ford addresses the matter as they are the only ones that actually know the truth. Hopefully in the OP’s case he is not added to the count and it’s a simple fix. His description does deviate a bit from others experience when the 2.7 blows.

OP
OP
kingcon99

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
No response back as of yet from Ford on their DM request. Any updates I’ll post here. Thanks again everyone for the useful information thus far!

Sponsored
OP
OP
kingcon99

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford has responded requesting further information.

Bmisk19

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Grand Marquis
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear that about your Bronco. Have there been any instances of the 2.3L having this problem?
I had the same error pop up on my Bronco/Ford Pass app this weekend. Took delivery on Saturday and it happened on Sunday, after about 50 miles on the engine. I have a 2.3L Manual Badlands 2-door, non-Sasquatch. @Ford Motor Company

Ford Bronco Sudden onset performance issues 1646779967523

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingcon99

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the same error pop up on my Bronco/Ford Pass app this weekend. Took delivery on Saturday and it happened on Sunday, after about 50 miles on the engine. I have a 2.3L Manual Badlands 2-door, non-Sasquatch. @Ford Motor Company

Ford Bronco Sudden onset performance issues 1646779967523
Sorry to hear yours happened day one!! And with the 2.3L! Were you able to get it right back in, or are you playing the waiting game like I am for an appointment?

Bmisk19

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Grand Marquis
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear yours happened day one!! And with the 2.3L! Were you able to get it right back in, or are you playing the waiting game like I am for an appointment?
It’s going in on Thursday

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Read the thread and data and find out.
Sponsored