Sponsored

Supply chain is just an excuse, your dealer allocations are the reason you're waiting

Casual Pork

Black Diamond
First Name
Cardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I placed a reservation in Nov. 2020 and converted it into an order at a below invoice dealer in Jan. 2021. When I learned that dealer allocation is a key factor in getting a build date, I placed a completely identical order in Jan. 2022 at a high volume dealer in NY that gave me MSRP in writing. Picked up my rig from the high volume dealer last week and was even able to apply my price protection certificate from SmartVincent. The below invoice dealer order still didn’t have a build date before the 2023 conversion. My build had a couple constraints too!
Ditto, except my reservation was made in Aug 2020 & I picked up my rig last month in MI.
Sponsored

BearPatrol

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If my exact build can be built & delivered to someone who placed an order years after me, then the commodities excuse is complete BS.

Allocations make sense to a point. You've got to even things out a bit for distributions sake, but Ford has zero excuses for building a new 2022 order over any 2020 reservation. Just completely shitting on their fan base.

2 years in & Ford is still struggling with 2 doors? What a joke. Can't blame Webesto forever.

@Ford Motor Company I want my fucking truck.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Supply constraints are the dominant factor, if you zero in on one dealership.

The massive variation between identical orders, identical reservation/order dates at different dealerships -- and we have numerous examples of delivery dates years apart -- that's caused by allocation. There's little doubt in my mind that a Sept 2020 reservation of a loaded WT at some dealerships would have been delivered at least a calendar year before a Sept 2020 base softy at Granger, and probably far longer than one year. And it's not just a Granger/Chapman/Stephens discount dealer thing. Those are merely the most extreme examples. Seems like every region has dealerships that are far more backed-up than others, and which dealership falls into which category is opaque to the end customer.

Ford has always downplayed the allocation part of this. And they used to hype reservation timestamp as the key. But the allocation setup would have been a complete mess like this even if covid had never happened. Their messaging was never aligned with the actual way they structured their reservation system.

Bushwhacker

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP is kinda of a dick in his responses but he's not wrong. I don't know if every WT I see out there is an early res holder or a walk-in but allocation is a much larger constraint to early res holders NOW than supply chain issues... That's just facts.

With that being said I stayed a 99 order intentionally, thinking FORD might actually build WildTrak's with MOD tops standard, just like they presented at launch. Black MOD tops not available a full 3 years later?? It is supply chain issue, TERRIBLE vendor/supplier/contractor selection. They can blame COVID all they want, but FORD shit the bed with WEBASTO.

I'm going to nerd out here a little, sorry in advance. Lastly, this is more a macroeconomic perspective, but what COVID did was definitely impact raw material production and to a larger extent, logistics. What it really did was highlight how sensitive JIT inventory models are to distribution. And how much the world relies on globalization. JIT is Just-In-Time inventory model, where materials arrive just before or at production, not before. In theory (and practicality normally) it is an optimal model. UNTIL you have a hit in raw material production or transportation. Then you have zero on hand inventory to continue production (like we did from the 30's thru the 90's). Purchasing, storing, handling taxed inventory is a costly and slow process but it does ensure production continues. Secondly, globalization is extensive and majority of people world wide don't realize it. Most developed nations have developed very defined channels for raw materials, production, etc. Here's an analogy, Say the majority of auto manufacture companies buy let's say product X from company A in Brazil, it then goes to company B in India for refinement, sorting, whatever. Then it is on to Company C in China to be assembled and packaged, then to Company D in the US where it is put into service(installed), in this case we'll call it a infotainment screen. Company E, F and G all rely on Company C in China for their screens. So when Company A doesn't produce/ship as much raw material it affects Comapny B (and others in the same industry) and ALL of their customers which then affects ALL of their customers. That puts Companies D-G all without screens because they relied on Company C who ultimately relies on Company A for all raw material production. I hope that made some kind of sense. Anyway, over the last 8 years the US (and other developed nations) have actively put policies in place to decouple or loosen our dependency on globalization. That doesn't mean we will product/refine/assemble/install everything here, it just means we will try to broaden our reliance areas. Multiple geographic locations for production. If FORD was getting it's whatever, mirror brackets from a company in Ukraine, guess what, it's whole supply channel is at war. That's a costly gamble if 80% of Ford's mirror brackets come from one country. Anyway, sorry for that diatribe but just trying to spread a little broader perspective. Now, FORD, hurry up and make my WT...

Last edited:

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dang, yes I'd want red on a Wrangler, didn't know about the color situation. :( Normally I'm all about function, but agreed color is one appearance aspect I won't settle for less. Probably would not be ordering until spring though, so maybe that gets sorted out by then.

For Bronco, I ordered Velocity Blue, after having seen it in person on a 2-door and liking it. But I suspect the "G" dealership I ordered from, will never be able to deliver the Bronco. So it all depends on being motivated enough to make another order once banks open up.

jgraham37128

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford doesn’t care about its customers it cares about its large dealers.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Black MOD tops not available a full 3 years later?? It is supply chain issue, TERRIBLE vendor/supplier/contractor selection. They can blame COVID all they want, but FORD shit the bed with WEBASTO.
Webasto is the one to blame-the made the tops in a different factory (I'm guessing a prototyping one) and they came out fine-but once they scaled it up to production quanties, that is when the issues started to appear.

I was under the impression that Ford was going to use a different vendor for the mod tops, but that has been quite cold for the past year or so...but I'm assuming that was impacted by COVID/Supply chain etc
Sponsored