John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like I said above being it is the 2021 model year I assumed the base 4x4 transfer case was more sophisticated than a simple shift-on-the-fly system from the 1980's with auto locking hubs, but apparently that is what it is. "Advanced" to me means there is more capability in the transfer case than the Type 2 system you referenced above since most $40K SUVs have that type of system. Like I said my H3T has that system it and it is from mid- 2000's. I guess Ford considers advanced to mean the G.O.A.T system, which they don't explain anywhere, and I can only assume its just a torque limiting system combined with the antilock brake system (i.e. driveline clutches and brake system software).
I think you are exactly right and I didn’t mean to sound rude. The driveline is the most important part of a 4x4 vehicle but manufacturers do a horrible job (on purpose I think) of explaining it all. They use fancy words to make their systems seem more amazing than the other brands. The Bronco is using pretty old technology in selectable and “advanced” and there is plenty better “advanced” systems out there if all one ever wanted to do was drive on snow, wet grass or country roads and was never doing rough off road (like the Subaru system). I also agree with you that the G.O.A.T. Is the only new thing here and separates Bronco from Jeep and I need to learn a lot more about that before my Bronco arrives:).
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fire roads are pretty prevalent in MI and I more often run these roads than anything else
I've spent some time slipping around on those same roads...grouse hunting in the UP

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've spent some time slipping around on those same roads...grouse hunting in the UP
UP is a whole "other" animal. Those bituminous roads really tear stuff up! Back to BD, I think it will be great for all of these uses and it is the sweet spot value wise! My wife mentioned the non SQ BD with just a bit more aggressive tire would be perfect. That doesnt help me decide, but I am narrowing down my final couple of options. I am now 100% BD, Cactus Grey, Mid 10sp, Advanced transfer case. Final decision, 2.3/2.7 and SQ or not?l Price range -$43,520 2.3 Non SQ to $50,010 2.7 SQ.

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

UP is a whole "other" animal. Those bituminous roads really tear stuff up! Back to BD, I think it will be great for all of these uses and it is the sweet spot value wise! My wife mentioned the non SQ BD with just a bit more aggressive tire would be perfect. That doesnt help me decide, but I am narrowing down my final couple of options. I am now 100% BD, Cactus Grey, Mid 10sp, Advanced transfer case. Final decision, 2.3/2.7 and SQ or not?l Price range -$43,520 2.3 Non SQ to $50,010 2.7 SQ.
My BD build is $7,850.00 cheaper than my BL build (caveat. That’s upgraded rims on BL because I can’t stand the stock ones) partly because the mid buys me the A/T on the BD (I think the A4x4 also buys me the A/T on BD) and if I stay with the 2.3 then I actually have to pay hard earned money for the A/T on the BL because A4x4 is standard and Mid on the BL doesn’t get you the A/T for free. One more reason I’m staying in the BD camp.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think you are exactly right and I didn’t mean to sound rude. The driveline is the most important part of a 4x4 vehicle but manufacturers do a horrible job (on purpose I think) of explaining it all. They use fancy words to make their systems seem more amazing than the other brands. The Bronco is using pretty old technology in selectable and “advanced” and there is plenty better “advanced” systems out there if all one ever wanted to do was drive on snow, wet grass or country roads and was never doing rough off road (like the Subaru system). I also agree with you that the G.O.A.T. Is the only new thing here and separates Bronco from Jeep and I need to learn a lot more about that before my Bronco arrives:).
It's all good. I didn't take you as rude. I'm trying to understand the New Bronco as much as anyone else. I'm as capable as anyone at understanding automotive drivetrains. Technical lessions I don't need. My technical background is in industrial engineering and I've been a car geek since 6 or 7. I've been wrenching on cars before I had a license and was fixing dirt bikes by the age of 13. I've had a 4x4 at one point or another since 1987.

Really, I'm just seeking clarity on the subject matter as it relates to the New Bronco. I've had two Ford 4x4 trucks and 5 Ford cars, so I'm no stranger to the brand. It looks like the "Advanced" transfer case is the way I need to go now that I'm used to the system in my H3T, which is great. Regardless of surface, you just floor it and the truck moves off without any drama.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In winter, it's nice to start my truck from the plane when I land. By the time I get to the parking lot, the truck is warm and toasty. FOB remote can't duplicate that. it isn't as convenient and has some delay at times, so both is nice, along with the keypad so I can lock my keys in the car. Boy I am lazy and spoiled.
Nawww you're just use to the convenience of these like I am. Back in the 90's one of my employees had a remote start ands to always make it a point to start it in front of all us when it was winter and freezing out. So I broke down and bought one and have never had a vehicle since without one. The Ford{ass app is nice that you can schedule starts and lock/unlock your vehicle from anywhere that you have wifi.

I've been back and forth a million times whether to SAS or not to the point I'm driving myself crazy. Good thing mine will be a MY22 and I will be able to see a few by then. As far as the 2.3/2.7 you could always save the money and get the 2.3 and tune it for $500. I have a Livernois tune in mine now and it really wakes this 2.3 up which is no slouch stock either. Plus since installing it I've actually gained about 2 mpg as long as I can keep out of the boost which is tough to do. ?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nawww you're just use to the convenience of these like I am. Back in the 90's one of my employees had a remote start ands to always make it a point to start it in front of all us when it was winter and freezing out. So I broke down and bought one and have never had a vehicle since without one. The Ford{ass app is nice that you can schedule starts and lock/unlock your vehicle from anywhere that you have wifi.

I've been back and forth a million times whether to SAS or not to the point I'm driving myself crazy. Good thing mine will be a MY22 and I will be able to see a few by then. As far as the 2.3/2.7 you could always save the money and get the 2.3 and tune it for $500. I have a Livernois tune in mine now and it really wakes this 2.3 up which is no slouch stock either. Plus since installing it I've actually gained about 2 mpg as long as I can keep out of the boost which is tough to do. ?
My problem with a tune- at $500 to $1k for a tune (I would probably go with the Ford “kit”) and a catch can (again, probably Ford Motorsport for warranty @$300, I am within $500 of the 2.7, using premium fuel only and still down 50 lb. ft. of torque. If I go 2.3 SQ I want to keep it stock (plus catch can). If I love it, keep it forever, if not, order a ‘23 maybe? Keeping with the best value theme of this thread, it seems like the 2.3 BD SQ is kind of the ultimate off road “bang for the buck”, while still having some creature comforts.

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think your missing a lift and the better instrument cluster but yes BD is good for the money.
So are there any comparison pictures of the two instrument clusters? Cause I’ve been trying to figure out what the difference is and can’t find anything solid. I reserved a Outer Banks but hate the interior options so I’m thinking Big Bend with a bunch of options added. Ugh, Ford needs to share more info on everything.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So are there any comparison pictures of the two instrument clusters? Cause I’ve been trying to figure out what the difference is and can’t find anything solid. I reserved a Outer Banks but hate the interior options so I’m thinking Big Bend with a bunch of options added. Ugh, Ford needs to share more info on everything.
We have only seen one. We don't know which it is but most have their money on an all digital cluster coming out.

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I do the same here for the summer months but it's a white beach towel folded on the drivers seat. My interior is black leather and honestly once it's up over 100 it really doesn't matter what you have it's hot. Plus if you have the remote start just fire it up 10-15 minutes before leaving and it'll be pre-cooled. ?

IDK what it's like down it Tucson but here in the valley it's like one big dust bowl so the MGV will be so much easier to keep clean. Especially when the doors and roof are off I can't imagine all that dirt and dust being trapped in the cloth seats and carpet floors.
It's pretty dirty down here, too. I washed the car this Sunday and it was breezy that night, so it had a thick layer of dust by Monday. Back when I had a truck with cloth seats, it seemed like I had to shampoo them too often. And as you know, if we leave the Bronco roof off during the nice weather, the interior will look like someone emptied a shop vac in on the seats.?

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's pretty dirty down here, too. I washed the car this Sunday and it was breezy that night, so it had a thick layer of dust by Monday. Back when I had a truck with cloth seats, it seemed like I had to shampoo them too often. And as you know, if we leave the Bronco roof off during the nice weather, the interior will look like someone emptied a shop vac in on the seats.?
Even worse would be to get caught in a dust storm. Can you imagine what the inside would look like after one of those? ?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Like I said above being it is the 2021 model year I assumed the base 4x4 transfer case was more sophisticated than a simple shift-on-the-fly system from the 1980's with auto locking hubs, but apparently that is what it is. "Advanced" to me means there is more capability in the transfer case than the Type 2 system you referenced above since most $40K SUVs have that type of system. Like I said my H3T has that system it and it is from mid- 2000's. I guess Ford considers advanced to mean the G.O.A.T system, which they don't explain anywhere, and I can only assume its just a torque limiting system combined with the antilock brake system (i.e. driveline clutches and brake system software).
They don't explain how the GOAT system interacts with the drivetrain, however, you can see a bit of what's going on mechanically in this video of the Ranger in snow with all of it's various traction control settings. Bronco will have this, plus whatever they tune the hydro diffs to do in each setting. Worth watching to the end when it's in deeper snow and the TC settings pull it out.

On the Mitsubishi Evolution IX I had there was a separate ECU which controlled the hydraulic center diff and that was how they shifted power around in each traction control setting. From what i've seen for Bronco, it won't be vastly different in application than that, but with brakes also controlled independently.

Bryan87

Black Diamond
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F 150/ 2019 jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m really close to the same but either silver or dark gray.

I’m holding out on whether to jump to Badlands and/or wait for the truly black roof.

I expect to be able to get Z plan pricing because of close family that worked for Ford. And my reservation was so late that I’m “late availability “ no matter what.
my wife picked the color and she loves white, all of her cars are white. I'm with you I think a black roof would look better but I'm good with the gray. I reserved on 7/14 so hopefullyI get mine early. I reserved to a small town dealership where I live hoping no one else would order through them. The dealership had over 50 reservations and I am number 10. I can't believe only ordering one day after the release 9 people reserved ahead of me.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

SQ with the 2.3, just because it would be so cool seeing people react to it off road (assuming it will be very capable off road?
The early Rubicon Trail vids were all 2.3s weren't they? The 2.3 should do perfectly fine off of the tarmac.
Sponsored