Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Maybe I am looking for a unicorn....but tell me I'm wrong.

Is it possible to get Automatic 4A on a BD without Sas Package?

I placed my order today for a '24 Black Diamond (2.3L 4 Door with Auto Trans. - Mid Package Non-squatch). On the build/price site I can select Automatic 4A but I cannot unselect the Part Time 4x4. I have rooted out a few glitches on the B&P site....this is one of a few I have found.

The 4A option seems to change by the year. The search function here brings up threads about past models. My dealer wasn't too clear on the difference between Automatic 4A and the Part Time 4x4. I live in Montana so 4A would be ideal here; we have 9 months of wintry mix. This will be my daily and weekend adventure vehicle to the ski hill and raft trailer tow rig in summer.

We looked for the the 4A option on the Order Summary. It's not evident where that option is noted. He explained the only way to get 4A on a BD is to add squatch or select the Badlands V-6 (which added $8 or 10K to my initial BD build). Is he correct? Is there some backdoor way to add 4A to a BD on the dealer order side?

Can any one clear this up for the 2024 models? I don't believe Ford is too focused on updating the Build and Price site anytime soon....they might have a bit of a backlog of broncos to build.

Now waiting....and considering a change order to sas.
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I did my 2024 Black Diamond build I also was able to pick the 4A option without adding the SAS package, but chose not to. I also wondered if it was a glitch.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
HolidayDog

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

If I'm reading the order guide correctly,
4A is standard on the Badlands, Raptor and HEL or any other trim that has Squatch standard.

It is part of the Sasquatch pkg for any other trim.

IE, it is no longer available without Squatch on the lesser trims. (BB, BD, OBX )

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/atta...d1c88382b394627600564d&force-system-browser=1
Thank you for posting this.....this is what my dealer pulled up.

Now I need to choose:.....do I go for the Sas package or go with the part time 4x4 on the wintry roads.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now I need to choose:.....do I go for the Sas package or go with the part time 4x4 on the wintry roads.
I would put more faith in quality winter tires than one system being better than the other.

No matter what be sure to get the rear locker.

Any "system" with "regular" tires will probably pale in comparison to our Outback with Blizzaks on it.
Unless it was really deep and heavy, I'd take the OB over the F250 with all-terrains we had.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I'm reading the order guide correctly,
4A is standard on the Badlands, Raptor and HEL or any other trim that has Squatch standard.

It is part of the Sasquatch pkg for any other trim.

IE, it is no longer available without Squatch on the lesser trims. (BB, BD, OBX )

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/atta...d1c88382b394627600564d&force-system-browser=1
Ford is so stupid making items part of higher trims! You should be able to get that transfer case on any trim. I want an offroad rig, all the best parts for offraoding and none of the BS electronics that come with the higher trims and packages...

The advanced 4x4 transfer case has a lower low gear ratio, better for offroading. I would get SAS if you can afford it!

I wish they had a trim/package that was a Base with advanced 4x4, front and rear locker! That would be sweet starting point for an offroad rig!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been driving a part-time 4x4 Black Diamond for 2.5 years. It’s pretty easy to push the button for 4H when you need it. You can do it while driving in any gear. It’s not a $10k option IMO if the rest isn’t necessary to you.

I concur about tires. FWIW - the General Grabber are better in snow than the Good Year on the Sasquatch.

If I wanted an all wheel drive I would have bought a Subaru.

Last edited:

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford has sold every 6G they built so are driving profits higher by tweaking standard features and packages.

We have an early ‘21 BD and work in Colorado. It’s invincible in snow and slop with Falken AT-3s.We are >50k miles in so are not guessing how this ends. Haha. It has been tremendous.

We drive extremes. 60% Hwy on way to 40% rugged unpaved remote work locations. For us Non-Sas 4:4:6 gearing is optimal for Hwy, but we don’t tow.
We are used to old school shifting.
EG: sloppy road, 4H on. Dry and wet, 4H off.

If you’re towing on variable roads 60% or more, I can see an argument to invest/upgrade to a 4A package if you’re not used to the manual transfer case shift routine. It is more convenient, intuitive, and elegant.

The BD trim was designed to be a gateway drug to off-roading with standard rinse-out and bash plates. A Baby-Badlands that Maxes profit per package.

This package was perfect for us. We are not extreme, but we know we are 100% going to be off pavement in ruts, mud, snow and rocky terrain. In the onX app, they would rate 2-5. We don’t extreme rock crawl… at least not by choice… but there have been moments where the 6G Gods were very good to us.

We legitimately use it off road for work. Can’t drive it enough. We are one with the 2H/4H transfer case shifting rhythm, but don’t tow anything, so are unfamiliar with those nuances. It’s an old school rhythm before automatic transfer cases.

This is just our opinion but again, I assure you, we’re not guessing about the transfer case. You can base your decision on convenience. You’ll love either decision.

Last edited:

GTS104

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr basemansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The advanced 4x4 transfer case has a lower low gear ratio, better for offroading. I would get SAS if you can afford it!

I wish they had a trim/package that was a Base with advanced 4x4, front and rear locker! That would be sweet starting point for an offroad rig!
[/QUOTE]

They did. unti Ford killed the Base. 23 basemansquatch 42k out the door. R.I.P Base.

20231001_183715.jpg

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are set on the 4A in a Black Diamond without the Sasquatch, I'm sure there are past model years available. If you expand your search, I would think you could find a new '23 on a dealer lot. Don't limit your search geographically. I have 2 Broncos and the closest was 1400 miles away. A plane ticket and a drive home or auto transport is cheaper than paying for the MY'24 price increase.

Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with Beach_Bum, you can find what you want out there.
I have a Black Diamond with 4A and I love it. It's useful for a lot more than just snow and ice. Off road tires don't normally have the best on road traction. It's nice to know that I can take a turn and merge into traffic without spinning tires. In 4A it just goes.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you are set on the 4A in a Black Diamond without the Sasquatch, I'm sure there are past model years available. If you expand your search, I would think you could find a new '23 on a dealer lot. Don't limit your search geographically. I have 2 Broncos and the closest was 1400 miles away. A plane ticket and a drive home or auto transport is cheaper than paying for the MY'24 price increase.
If you do search for a 2023, the 4A will be reflected in the vin.....E5C or E5D. This will make your search much easier.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4A Automatic 4x4 Non-squatch BD 2024 1700754078414

OP
OP
HolidayDog

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Wow folks! Thank you for walking me through this one. I feel like Ive been over thinking it and falling for Fords genius marketing strategy....making be believe I need 4A and the sas upsell. It's good to hear your opinions and advice.

I chose the BD for the 3PMS rated tires...they are the best tire for nw Montana (better than SAS tires), the vinyl/plastic flooring/drain holes, off-road ready w/ rock rail and under carriage armoring.

As a daily I will be on pavement 90% of the time.... the "off roading" for me is typically gravel, dirt forest service roads pulling a raft trailer. We are not rock crawling with a raft in tow. Though I do have the White Rim Road in Canyonlands on my bucket list.

I explained this whole situation to my loving wife. She told me the same points you explained: push the 4H button when you need it, snow tires are better than mud tires....but then she says "just get the sas package because it's got a lift, bigger tires, looks bad ass! YOLO! You're already dropping some coin, just get what you want."

Im going out to spatchcock my turkey for the smoker. I'll think this one through some more. Happy Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
HolidayDog

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

If you do search for a 2023, the 4A will be reflected in the vin.....E5C or E5D. This will make your search much easier.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4A Automatic 4x4 Non-squatch BD 2024 1700754078414
Thank you for this....the code on the 24 is E1BO.....This is what wasn't clear on the order summary page but now I know.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2024 vin's don't seem to make a distinction between part time vs full time (4A) 4x4. Just 2dr vs 4dr. Must be new for 2024 vs the 21-23.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4A Automatic 4x4 Non-squatch BD 2024 1700756583711
Sponsored