Sweet spot For the money - Black Diamond non-Squatch

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So like everybody I’ve been playing with Build & Price nonstop.
I think I found the sweet spot for capabilities vs. pricing. It’s a Black Diamond, non-Squatch, 2.7L engine with the 10 speed automatic. Go with the advanced 4WD system.

the only shortcomings vs the Badlands are front locker, Electronic disconnect Sway bar, and I think Bilstein shocks. Badlands has an even more aggressive gear ratio but looks like Black Diamond is pretty sweet too.

if you can live without the front locker and disco bar, and basically all of us who aren’t at Moab probably can, you then save $8K by going Black Diamond in this configuration as opposed to Badlands.

Amirite?
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think your missing a lift and the better instrument cluster but yes BD is good for the money.

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I found the sweet spot for capabilities vs. pricing. It’s a Black Diamond, non-Squatch, 2.7L engine with the 10 speed automatic. Go with the advanced 4WD system.

the only shortcomings vs the Badlands are front locker, Electronic disconnect Sway bar, and I think Bilstein shocks. Badlands has an even more aggressive gear ratio but looks like Black Diamond is pretty sweet too.

if you can live without the front locker and disco bar, and basically all of us who aren’t at Moab probably can, you then save $8K by going Black Diamond in this configuration as opposed to Badlands.

Amirite?
Add the Mid package and that's exactly what I'm getting.

CCBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I debated this, but decided on adding the Sas and mid package. I do agree, it’s the best bang for your buck trim and the steelies are cool.
I was set on Area 51, with White as my backup. After much debate today pissing off everyone around me, I’m now leaning towards carbonized grey which is similar to my Jeep. ?‍♂

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Add the Mid package and that's exactly what I'm getting.
Agree I'm leaning to this as well. BD mid 2.7 mic auto4wd

Was considering base with squatch 2.7 but would downsize to 33 anyways... If I could get auto 4wd with base I'd be considering that for the cheapness

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Missing a heavy duty front axle and a $2500 wheel and tire upgrade. I am at a similar decision point and agree it’s probably best bang for the $

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Amirite?
I think so. lol I was all in for a BL but after building just about every model I'm now leaning more towards the BD too. Just about the same build as yours but with the Mid package and the HD modular front bumper. Saves me around $6,500 and while I really want the High package it's not worth the additional money to jump up to the BL. I've done a lot of off roading in my Ranger and while I'll do some more aggressive stuff with the Bronco I can't see needing the front locker or disco bar either.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If someone isn't wheeling it hard or trying to run 37s, i don't see how the front axle being a 190 should be an issue. I don't think i want the extra weight or cost of that axle when i won't even touch anything that needs it.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still going BL just for the look and the availability of packages. Wanted to like the BD but Ford neutered it with removing options.

Sponsored

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If someone isn't wheeling it hard or trying to run 37s, i don't see how the front axle being a 190 should be an issue. I don't think i want the extra weight or cost of that axle when i won't even touch anything that needs it.
Agreed. It may be week for a locker but not as an open differential.

OspreyFE55

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Smart ForTwo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been going back and forth on this exact same thing. But I’m tired of cutting myself short. I want that front locker, I plan on doing a lot more off-roading then my past vehicles and with having a Rubicon in the past having that insurance of a beefier axle and locker is amazing! Plus I get the signature Head & Tail lights with the BL! I have decided to forego the SAS package as I plan on getting different wheels so I don’t need to pay the extra 2500.

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like this build, thanks for posting!

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was all set to go BD until the ManSquatch got green lit. I’d still consider a non-Squatch BD if you could get mid with 7MT. Hoping they change their minds on that, but I’m not holding my breath.
Sponsored