John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150 / 1970 Bronco (in process)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey guys!
So after two years I finally have a build date (tentative 5/30 right now). Well ever since I put my $100 down a lot has happened and ended up changing my order a couple times based on some life events.
The last plan was to ride out my F150 lease and go with the Bronco, but I decided to bite the bullet and trade that in last fall and went back to a leased 2021 Tacoma (I have had two prior to the current one). This was based on being over my lease mileage and also I was actually getting a sizable amount of trade in value on it at the time.

Well now that it finally seems like my bronco is being built (Eruption Green 4 door Black Diamond 2.7) I am having a lot of back and forth on to keep with it.

Minus the whole one is a SUV and the other a truck, has anyone else did the similar change of going from a 3rd Gen Tacoma to a Bronco with any regrets?

I did the NH Bronco rodeo last summer and really enjoyed it, but have heard there’s been some significant growing pains on the bronco with things failing.

This will be my daily, wife has a 4Runner and is extremely happy with it, I do some Truck things which is why I sized down from a F150 to a taco.
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From an extraordinarily uncomfortable seating position (unless you're the one they built if for) and the constant hunting of gears on the highway if there's any hills and vales involved.....?

OP
OP

JZBronco70

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From an extraordinarily uncomfortable seating position (unless you're the one they built if for) and the constant hunting of gears on the highway if there's any hills and vales involved.....?
So I do have the Tacoma in a manual which seems to help the gear hunting situation.
The addtion of the power seat has helped, but I do have to say it only gives it an additional hour on the road until your uncomfortable

So my big thing is I’ve always put up with the normal Tacoma/4Runner short comings because of resell and durability making up for it. I’ve had two Ford trucks in my life (03 ranger and the 2019 F150). The f150 was a warranty nightmare and was constantly at the dealer.
So I guess my biggest holdup is giving Ford another go. I’ve seen a lot of review videos but everything is Sasquatch, which I didn’t go for. So trying to see how everyone else is doing

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I do have the Tacoma in a manual which seems to help the gear hunting situation.
The addtion of the power seat has helped, but I do have to say it only gives it an additional hour on the road until your uncomfortable

So my big thing is I’ve always put up with the normal Tacoma/4Runner short comings because of resell and durability making up for it. I’ve had two Ford trucks in my life (03 ranger and the 2019 F150). The f150 was a warranty nightmare and was constantly at the dealer.
So I guess my biggest holdup is giving Ford another go. I’ve seen a lot of review videos but everything is Sasquatch, which I didn’t go for. So trying to see how everyone else is doing
I almost mentioned 'unless you have a stick!' Have to laugh that you get an extra hour in the seat before it gets uncomfortable! My wife's RAV is much like, that, too....I think I've got it set better now....

Yeah, the reliability thing is pretty real. I've only had Toyotas for 34 years now....and yes, there have been problems. I've had two frames go thanks to the Dana fiasco of failing to coat them properly.I had a bearing go in the manual tranny on my 4WD Van. I had some weird unreachable engine part go bad that held me to about 30 mph....and I've had brake lines rust out at the fitting. But that's because we can drive them forever! Oil filters are always in stupid places for DIY'ers. But I never get in and wonder if I'll throw a valve. I'm hoping that with my re-order, they've solved that one. The guys at the rodeo, who are NOT Ford employees, say they've had no troubles of any kind other change having to change out tires often....and they're beating the heck out of those rigs. AND driving them all over the country.

OP
OP

JZBronco70

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I almost mentioned 'unless you have a stick!' Have to laugh that you get an extra hour in the seat before it gets uncomfortable! My wife's RAV is much like, that, too....I think I've got it set better now....

Yeah, the reliability thing is pretty real. I've only had Toyotas for 34 years now....and yes, there have been problems. I've had two frames go thanks to the Dana fiasco of failing to coat them properly.I had a bearing go in the manual tranny on my 4WD Van. I had some weird unreachable engine part go bad that held me to about 30 mph....and I've had brake lines rust out at the fitting. But that's because we can drive them forever! Oil filters are always in stupid places for DIY'ers. But I never get in and wonder if I'll throw a valve. I'm hoping that with my re-order, they've solved that one. The guys at the rodeo, who are NOT Ford employees, say they've had no troubles of any kind other change having to change out tires often....and they're beating the heck out of those rigs. AND driving them all over the country.

Yeah the stick is fun, but the Mrs doesn’t do well with it so kind of trying to do the adult thing and go back to an automatic.
So with the NH rodeo we never went over 30mph cause it was all mud and rocks, but honestly beat the crap out of those things for 10 ours and I wasn’t even sore and nothing broke.
They did have a couple thousand miles on ours so it’s been through a lot in that time frame
Our guide who was a Land Rover fan was pretty honest and said how much he liked what they did.
I mean I love the bronco but it’s really a “want”.
I feel like I’m gonna just get up to the point of test driving my order and making the coin toss then

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys!
So after two years I finally have a build date (tentative 5/30 right now). Well ever since I put my $100 down a lot has happened and ended up changing my order a couple times based on some life events.
The last plan was to ride out my F150 lease and go with the Bronco, but I decided to bite the bullet and trade that in last fall and went back to a leased 2021 Tacoma (I have had two prior to the current one). This was based on being over my lease mileage and also I was actually getting a sizable amount of trade in value on it at the time.

Well now that it finally seems like my bronco is being built (Eruption Green 4 door Black Diamond 2.7) I am having a lot of back and forth on to keep with it.

Minus the whole one is a SUV and the other a truck, has anyone else did the similar change of going from a 3rd Gen Tacoma to a Bronco with any regrets?

I did the NH Bronco rodeo last summer and really enjoyed it, but have heard there’s been some significant growing pains on the bronco with things failing.

This will be my daily, wife has a 4Runner and is extremely happy with it, I do some Truck things which is why I sized down from a F150 to a taco.
I went from a cc 19 Tacoma trdor to 250 Tremor to 2dr badlands 7sp.

Hated the taco. Rain sounded like a tin roof. Radio xm was awful reception, would not record and play back songs, radio stopped when you turned off the motor not when you opened the door. Weather stripping pounded top of roof on highway. Auto was awful always hunting downshifting. Final straw was Toyota trying to charge me $200 to run 1 minute diagnostic on check engine light while under full warranty!

Tremor was a beast loved it. If a investment comes through I want to buy it back!

Bronco love love love! Just miss the handbrake.
3D5693F4-95FC-4898-9297-3EBF65E831C4.jpeg
BB873CF7-A479-4596-A29A-A5C5B4CC2A3F.jpeg

OP
OP

JZBronco70

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I went from a cc 19 Tacoma trdor to 250 Tremor to 2dr badlands 7sp.

Hated the taco. Rain sounded like a tin roof. Radio xm was awful reception, would not record and play back songs, radio stopped when you turned off the motor not when you opened the door. Weather stripping pounded top of roof on highway. Auto was awful always hunting downshifting. Final straw was Toyota trying to charge me $200 to run 1 minute diagnostic on check engine light while under full warranty!

Tremor was a beast loved it. If a investment comes through I want to buy it back!

Bronco love love love! Just miss the handbrake.
3D5693F4-95FC-4898-9297-3EBF65E831C4.jpeg
BB873CF7-A479-4596-A29A-A5C5B4CC2A3F.jpeg

Yeaaahh wish I had the money for a tremor super duty, but def to much of an overkill for me.
I noticed on the 21 Tacoma a lot more fitment issues then I had on my 2015 and even 2010 Tacomas. I feel like their decision to move all production out of Texas was a bad move

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeaaahh wish I had the money for a tremor super duty, but def to much of an overkill for me.
I noticed on the 21 Tacoma a lot more fitment issues then I had on my 2015 and even 2010 Tacomas. I feel like their decision to move all production out of Texas was a bad move
I paid $54k for my Tremor.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Former 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport owner here.

I don't regret moving on to the Bronco. Mine was an access cab with the 6 speed manual as well.

Things the Tacoma did better:
  • Road Noise (Kinda given due to the Bronco's removable roof)
  • Perceived Reliability (My Bronco threw a CEL regarding the turbo wastegate being stuck closed on the way home from the dealer, LOL)
  • Highway stability (Granted this might be more of my Bronco being a two door, four doors might not be an issue).
  • Fit and Finish (Not a single rattle or creak in the interior, all panels fit together well with consistent gaps and tolerance)
Things the Bronco did better:
  • Infotainment experience (Bronco's Sync 4 is miles ahead of the current Toyota infotainment)
  • Comfort (2020+ Tacoma has height adjustable seat, but my head is still too close to the roof. Also the seats don't have as good of a lower back support)
  • Audio system (I did not like the sound system in the Tacoma at all, speaker placement seems to result in a poor sound stage)
  • Powertrain (Even the 2.3L Ecoboost feels much more usable than the Taco's 3.5L V6 in almost any RPM).

eurydice_96

Badlands
First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The lease on my 2018 Audi SQ5 was up before my Bronco's arrival, so I ended up driving my husband's 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro manual for a year.
  • Overall, it was fun to drive. I didn't love the gearing. Going up an even slight hill, I'd have to shift down to third to sputter up it. Lots of shifting down to second or third when I definitely never had to in previous manuals.
  • The Toyota media interface was awful. I couldn't take calls over Bluetooth in the Tacoma. The person I was talking with could not hear me over engine noise and other sounds.
  • The seats were super uncomfortable for long drives. They just killed my back.
  • I could also never quite adjust my leg room right - same with my hubs. We both needed an extra notch because we were either just a little too close or a little too far.
We traded it in when my 2 door Badlands manual came in. No regrets. We luckily got a great trade in value - we got what we paid 4 years ago with 30K miles on it. The Bronco is my daily driver. It's exactly what I wanted and I love it.
  • My Bronco can accelerate up hill in 4th. The gearing is smooth and more appropriate than the Tacoma.
  • We did the Moab OffRoadeo in October and the seats were super comfortable all day long regardless of how fast I was driving over everything in my way. My own Bronco is very much the same. (After I adjusted to the weird back height.)
  • The seat adjustment seems to have a few more notches so we can get our leg room right.
  • Wireless Car Play is awesome.
Ford Bronco Tacoma to Bronco any regrets? IMG_5443

Sponsored
OP
OP

JZBronco70

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Former 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport owner here.

I don't regret moving on to the Bronco. Mine was an access cab with the 6 speed manual as well.

Things the Tacoma did better:
  • Road Noise (Kinda given due to the Bronco's removable roof)
  • Perceived Reliability (My Bronco threw a CEL regarding the turbo wastegate being stuck closed on the way home from the dealer, LOL)
  • Highway stability (Granted this might be more of my Bronco being a two door, four doors might not be an issue).
  • Fit and Finish (Not a single rattle or creak in the interior, all panels fit together well with consistent gaps and tolerance)
Things the Bronco did better:
  • Infotainment experience (Bronco's Sync 4 is miles ahead of the current Toyota infotainment)
  • Comfort (2020+ Tacoma has height adjustable seat, but my head is still too close to the roof. Also the seats don't have as good of a lower back support)
  • Audio system (I did not like the sound system in the Tacoma at all, speaker placement seems to result in a poor sound stage)
  • Powertrain (Even the 2.3L Ecoboost feels much more usable than the Taco's 3.5L V6 in almost any RPM).

So my fit/finish gripe on the Tacoma is the front grill seems poorly mounted with a lot of give.
There is a creak somewhere in the B-pillar, but the worse one is on the steering wheel, the plastic on the left creaks. Which is of course where I hold it the most haha

For my commute it works otherwise, it isn’t out primary family hauler (the 4Runner handles that). So the few long roads trip I’ve done I def have more fatigue in the Tacoma versus the 4Runner.
Now the 10 hour off road Rodeo I had in the Bronco I had 0 fatigue minus my eyeballs hurt from focusing not to wrap the $60k wildtrak around a tree haha

cyclonend

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went from a Taco double cab to a 4 Door Basesquatch with no regrets. I got an awesome trading on the Taco.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2017 Tacoma off road. 5 years of overlanding never had one issue, I must have had a unicorn because I never had any transmission shifting problems ever solid as a rock. Only complaint it was underpowered above 10,000 ft. Was completely happy till Moab trip. Was going to cost a fortune to put it on 35's "damn you Moab" Sold Taco and I have had my 4door Badlands SAS for 2wks, only one weekend off road but I love it, rides better then taco "wife statement not mine" and the power don't get me started tons of power and rolls on nice and smooth. You wont regret it till you have to haul some mulch, but other then that 0 regret

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So my fit/finish gripe on the Tacoma is the front grill seems poorly mounted with a lot of give.
There is a creak somewhere in the B-pillar, but the worse one is on the steering wheel, the plastic on the left creaks. Which is of course where I hold it the most haha

For my commute it works otherwise, it isn’t out primary family hauler (the 4Runner handles that). So the few long roads trip I’ve done I def have more fatigue in the Tacoma versus the 4Runner.
Now the 10 hour off road Rodeo I had in the Bronco I had 0 fatigue minus my eyeballs hurt from focusing not to wrap the $60k wildtrak around a tree haha
I'm honestly dumbfounded at how poor the Tacoma's interior ergonomics are. The 4Runner by contrast, is leaps and bound above the Tacoma.

Maybe I got a freak Taco, but I was really surprised it did not have any squeaks or rattle in the interior. I've pretty much expected it to some level in a ladder frame based truck, so I was surprised with that particular case.

OP
OP

JZBronco70

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2017 Tacoma off road. 5 years of overlanding never had one issue, I must have had a unicorn because I never had any transmission shifting problems ever solid as a rock. Only complaint it was underpowered above 10,000 ft. Was completely happy till Moab trip. Was going to cost a fortune to put it on 35's "damn you Moab" Sold Taco and I have had my 4door Badlands SAS for 2wks, only one weekend off road but I love it, rides better then taco "wife statement not mine" and the power don't get me started tons of power and rolls on nice and smooth. You wont regret it till you have to haul some mulch, but other then that 0 regret
Yup it’s the loss of a bed and reduction in towing has been on the fence. I feel like the towing reduction is mainly due to the rear coilovers. So not sure if going to a Timberen bump stop will get over the squat situation.
I know the 2.7 and even the 10r60 could handle 5,000lbs
Sponsored