Sponsored

Taking Delivery of 2D Badlands SAS - help deciding...

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made a reservation in June 2021, at the time I had a '07 JKU I loved, but really liked the Bronco. I started with a 4 door, and have since switched to a 2 door which is what's getting built, Manual, 2 Door, Roof Rack, Badlands SAS. In the meantime, I bought a '21 JLUR in November 2021 because my JK was starting to really show it's age with looming large repairs (transmission, etc.) it had 189k miles on it and I put it through it's paces.

In any case, I really like my JLUR, but I'm still curious to see the Bronco, and would like to go to a 2 door if it's liveable. I basically think the 4 door JL is more proportional than the 4 door Bronco, but the 2 door Bronco is better shaped than the 2 door Jeep. So here's what I need it to do and my concerns:

1. Daily Driving/Tops: I know it drives better on-road and it sounds like the 7MT is an upgrade from the JL, 2 positives. The unknown is how I will handle the doors/top. With the Jeeps, I run the hard top pretty much 6 months a year and on long trips, and no top/doors the other 6 months, with a bikini top for rain. My issue is that I don't see a viable bikini top option with the Bronco. I'm cool with getting wet, and get that the bikini doesn't completely cover, but having a huge gap over the driver I'm guessing creates quite a bit of water coming in in a downpour while driving. It would be in the garage when not being driven.

2. Storage/Rear Seats: It's just my wife and I along with dogs (which seldom come along on trips). The backseats will never be used. I've looked at the Goose gear removal or a DIY removal, so that might happen. I basically have three trips I take:
Kiteboard/Surf Trips - Boards on top, tent, sleeping gear, wetsuits, kites, cooler in the rear.
Hiking/Off Roading - It sucks I can't sleep inside but that's the downfall on the 2 door, so probably a Gazelle or similar pop up tent, etc.
Off Roading/Mountain Biking - This is the one I"m a bit concerned on, this would be me alone, but I would need to fit my 29'er in the back along with sleeping gear/tent/cooler. Has anyone pulled this off?

3. Off road: I've beat the JK and JL pretty badly and although relatively stock and on moderate trails, I've had no issues. I'm just hoping for the same confidence with the Bronco. I've rented a 4 door in Canada, and to be honest, the width was a bit concerning as well. It just feels very hefty compared to my Jeep, more comfortable yes, but feels more truck like which I'm not a fan of (this is a primary concern).

4. Winch: I forgot to put in for the modular bumper, any issues with the Rough Country winch mount? I'd probably pull my Warn winch off my JL for install.

Anyone with any experience/insight, especially on lugging around mountain bikes or surfboards, and/or a suitable no top/doors in the rain solution, let me know. I've got probably a week or so to decide depending on how fast it transports.
Sponsored

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bump - Bronco is built and in transit. I plan on taking my MTB to the dealer and see if it fits properly. A solid test drive and pricing will factor in quite a bit as well.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't think the width is a huge deal. I drive a 392 and I think it feels about the same with the fender width on the Wrangler. The Bronco definitely drives more truck-like and I was just thinking about that on my last trip in it earlier today.

I think you'll have to decide on that factor since you are more familiar with where you off road. Unless you care about pinstripes or are out going between big boulders/rocks, I don't think it would be an issue.

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't comment on kayaks, canoes, surfboards etc, but I definitely recommend the Bestop soft top. I ran it on my 2 door from spring to late fall and mostly without doors.

Yes, the top rests on the top when folded back but It doesn't bother me at all. So worth it for inclimate weather that pops up all the time.

For exterior dimensions, I went from a JL to the Bronco. I don't know exactly how much wider the Bronco is but I think mostly it just feels wider because of the flat hood and fenders on the Bronco.

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Off Roading/Mountain Biking - This is the one I"m a bit concerned on, this would be me alone, but I would need to fit my 29'er in the back along with sleeping gear/tent/cooler. Has anyone pulled this off?
Maybe a hitch mounted bike rack? That should free up some room inside for other gear.

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only had my 2 door for 2 weeks now. First, you are never going to get a Gazelle tent inside, why they are worth the money, they pack down extremely large and very, very long, over 6 feet for the 4 person one. You would need to put it on a roof rack. If you do delete the rear seats, I think you'll have the room that you are looking for, although you might need to put some more stuff besides the tent on a roof rack. Not sure which package you ordered, but the 2-door drives very small off-road, the windows are huge and give 360 views around (although they are high up), but the camera system, front, front tires, and 360 make a huge difference off-road, especially if you're running solo. If it feels right when you get to the dealer, I suggest getting it and don't think you'll be disappointed.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe a hitch mounted bike rack? That should free up some room inside for other gear.
Yeah, I was hoping to mix mountain biking and off roading trips (Uwharrie, NC mountains, etc.)

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Look at the soft top for the 2 door and leave the windows off, that should cover you for those 6 months.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't comment on kayaks, canoes, surfboards etc, but I definitely recommend the Bestop soft top. I ran it on my 2 door from spring to late fall and mostly without doors.

Yes, the top rests on the top when folded back but It doesn't bother me at all. So worth it for inclimate weather that pops up all the time.

For exterior dimensions, I went from a JL to the Bronco. I don't know exactly how much wider the Bronco is but I think mostly it just feels wider because of the flat hood and fenders on the Bronco.
Yeah, boards aren't a major concern with the soft top, I'd just leave the back window out and stick them out the back. I'm mostly on a small foil board anyways.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only had my 2 door for 2 weeks now. First, you are never going to get a Gazelle tent inside, why they are worth the money, they pack down extremely large and very, very long, over 6 feet for the 4 person one. You would need to put it on a roof rack. If you do delete the rear seats, I think you'll have the room that you are looking for, although you might need to put some more stuff besides the tent on a roof rack. Not sure which package you ordered, but the 2-door drives very small off-road, the windows are huge and give 360 views around (although they are high up), but the camera system, front, front tires, and 360 make a huge difference off-road, especially if you're running solo. If it feels right when you get to the dealer, I suggest getting it and don't think you'll be disappointed.
I saw 57" on the smallest one, it would only be me, or me and my wife. I could easily throw it on the roof rack, no issues there.

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you ever don't want to drag out the Gazelle, I highly suggest the Decathlon 2 second Easy Fresh and Black Waterproof Pop Up Tent.

8581557-product_image-2068555_960x.jpg

8581557-product_image-2008802_960x.jpg

8581557-product_image-1812962_960x.jpg

When it's only me and my dog, this is the one I take, packs up small and at ten pounds you can't beat for the ease it setups up and brakes down. You pull two strings and it's up, all you're left to do is stake it into the ground.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you ever don't want to drag out the Gazelle, I highly suggest the Decathlon 2 second Easy Fresh and Black Waterproof Pop Up Tent.

Ford Bronco Taking Delivery of 2D Badlands SAS - help deciding... 8581557-product_image-1812962_960x

Ford Bronco Taking Delivery of 2D Badlands SAS - help deciding... 8581557-product_image-1812962_960x

When it's only me and my dog, this is the one I take, packs up small and at ten pounds you can't beat for the ease it setups up and brakes down. You pull two strings and it's up, all you're left to do is stake it into the ground.
Ok, so tent isn't a problem. now the question is how easy can I throw a 29'er MTB with the dropper post down into the back. I would and likely would just grab a 1UP rack, but.....I like the option to take the MTB with me on trips where I may wheel the Bronco too. Thoughts?

DerekT

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Bronco, Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, I was hoping to mix mountain biking and off roading trips (Uwharrie, NC mountains, etc.)
You can fit your mtb in the rear and leaving space for other gear as well. Can't say how much of camping gear will fit but you can use the pics for reference for remaining storage space. I kept two containers for tools and my mtb equipment and still have enough space to fill up the areas where the rear seats fold up.
When I ordered my Bronco, one of my concerns was transporting my mountain bike. I would go with a hitch receiver, but I wanted to secure my bike inside the vehicle for the peace of mind. Didn’t see any answers about if a mountain bike could fit inside the 2 door so I decided to try it out.

Saw a different thread use Velcro straps on the tie down points to hold their bike in their 4 door bronco so I purchased them to hold the fork down. The bike fits perfectly with the front wheel off and with the rear wheel sitting just on the end of the center console. (I was still able to open the center console 2/3 of the way up before the rear wheel stops it). When you close the rear window, the mtb stem has about 1/4inch of space, so I shoved a piece of styrofoam in between the space to prevent any metal to glass touching.

I ride a medium size bike, so I’m assuming larger bikes would mean the rear wheel would be further up on the center console.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can fit your mtb in the rear and leaving space for other gear as well. Can't say how much of camping gear will fit but you can use the pics for reference for remaining storage space. I kept two containers for tools and my mtb equipment and still have enough space to fill up the areas where the rear seats fold up.
Yeah, you are my one and only reference. As long as I can throw a container bin with cooking utensils, a Yeti Tundra 35 and recovery gear (I'll add a winch, so most of it should fit in molle bags and under the floor). I should be good. Surf trips are pretty dialed with everything going on top.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I made some more measurements, I think everything can fit. I do see that my dealer didn't add the Modular bumper (even though I added it in) - I'd move my Warn VR10s off my JL onto the Bronco, what are my options for a high mount on the capable bumper? I'm not worried about front camera (don't have one) or sensors, etc. The JCR, possibly the RC, anything else?
Sponsored