Technophobes: How Scared Is Too Scared?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Back in the "good old days", I was an old school Diesel mechanic. Racks, flyweights, mechanical injectors... some of them didn't have an electrical system at all - air starters (loved that sound!), mechanical cables run through pulleys and connected to levers. Mechanical gauges. I worked on a tugboat that had a locomotive engine in it, connected to the propshaft by a huge rubber airbag that pushed against a friction plate... release the pressure for "neutral", and to put it in reverse propulsion, you shut down the engine and flipped a lever on the air starter, then re-started the engine in reverse rotation. If ever there was someone who should be resistant to "newfangled", it should have been me.

I remember the implementation of electronic spark control on automobiles, and all the dire predictions. I remember the fear of power locks and windows, "what if your car goes in the lake and the electrical system shorts out, you won't be able to escape!" Electronic fuel injection took phobia to a new level, "the police will be able to shut down your car" and "the government will be able to keep your car at the speed limit, what if you have to get to the hospital in a hurry?" I remember wrestling with the earliest Detroit Diesel DDEC machines, when the electronics weren't yet up to the task of the punishing marine environment and "working" on it required an expensive proprietary computer. Travelling in broader circles in the marine industry, I recall carrying power packs, stators, and ECUs for Mercury Offshore engines while working in remote areas with no support. Things with wires failed, but no more frequently than the mechanical systems - we carried water pumps, steering rams, and entire lower units as well. Longer trips, an entire powerhead made the journey with us, thankfully I never had to change one of them in the field. More than anything, fuel quality was the headache.

I remember mechanically modding and digitally tuning my first fuel-injected motorcycle. It was a learning process, but I found it fascinating to be able to precisely control fuel and air at insanely small granularity. What would have been a much longer circular process of tuning/testing in the mechanical world turned into a half-hour on a laptop, with free software and a $35 connector. Now tinkering with electronically-controlled Diesels again, open-source software and a (still) $35 connector, monitoring and adjusting engine parameters that would have been unthinkable back in the days when I first took a 4-foot long x 1-inch drive breaker bar into my hands.

Through this journey, I have seen the cycle of suspicion, contempt, and outright fear exhibited by naysayers toward new technology. It's healthy to question, and a certain amount of questioning results in improvement - but there is a point where it becomes counterproductive. Where would we be today if fear of technology had won at each step, squashing each advancement? Sure, we could all live there... but given the choice, would we?
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mike, you raise good points. But I don't think all the hesitancy is due to techno-aversion.

Someone on one of the other threads was making it analogous to the advent of ice makers on refrigerators...but that's a pretty logical functional progression. In my mind WAY more logical than a video of a horse avatar starting every time the door opens - that's just bling for bling's sake. Refrigerators today can text you when your milk runs low, or when your lettuce starts to wilt; I'm not afraid of it - I just don't want it. I feel much the same about much of the 'assumed' Bronco techno features...I'd gladly pay extra to not have them there.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mike, you raise good points. But I don't think all the hesitancy is due to techno-aversion.

Someone on one of the other threads was making it analogous to the advent of ice makers on refrigerators...but that's a pretty logical functional progression. In my mind WAY more logical than a video of a horse avatar starting every time the door opens - that's just bling for bling's sake. Refrigerators today can text you when your milk runs low, or when your lettuce starts to wilt; I'm not afraid of it - I just don't want it. I feel much the same about much of the 'assumed' Bronco techno features...I'd gladly pay extra to not have them there.
Just so I'm clear, if 'smart' refrigerators were standard, you would be willing to pay MORE for one without those features? Even though the quality of the underlying refrigerator is the same?

This is the part I don't understand. Having a 'bling' startup animation doesn't mean the Bronco can't be good off road. A refrigerator that can text you doesn't make it unable to keep your milk cold.

For me, I like tech. I want my Bronco with carplay and cruise control and heated seats. Any system that actually may take control away from me, I want the ability to turn off (lane keep assist, auto cruise control, etc), but that doesn't mean I don't want it there. I want it enabled the vast majority of the time with the ability to turn it off in the specific instances I know I don't want it.

If a smart fridge's texts get annoying I'll take my number out of it and keep using it as a fridge. After cleaning the brown mushy pears out of my crisper drawer yesterday though, I wish mine could have warned me about them!

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Automotive electronics are by and large logical functional progressions. Startup graphics, and sometimes accompanying audio, are the norm on every consumer electronics item with a display that I can think of - it doesn't slow the process in any meaningful way, and lets you know it is going through a normal startup. In my opinion, they don't detract from the overall product, though I'll agree their presence isn't any added value. I suppose it could remain blank during startup, and I'm sure it can be changed to display anything (or nothing) as you wish - but Ford built it, they get to choose the default that was no doubt the subject of numerous focus groups. Like the mirrors or door frames that project an illuminated graphic as a "puddle light", I don't have any problem with it provided it doesn't reduce the functionality of the illumination. Bling? Sure, I agree; but arguably so is paint, polished surfaces, tire lettering and sidewall graphics, or any form of badging/branding on a vehicle. A ton of money is spent on auto body design, I'm certain there are a limited number of maximum-efficiency designs that, if going for pure functionality, would eliminate much of the expense in automotive production and consumer cost. While I have some affection for the purely functional aesthetic of military machinery, it isn't overwhelmingly popular with the masses. I'm not sure any of us would relish shopping for our next car at a dealership that as nothing but the equivalent of a 1960's Soviet Union parking lot - I had a Fiat 124 sedan, thank you very much, and it was all I needed in transportation... but it had very little to offer beyond basic needs. Choices and options are a good thing.

We keep returning to the "how much is too much" discussion, and the bottom line is... no two people will agree on exact options, colors, tires, etc. Every one of us who sees a new Bronco will find something we wish was done differently. It is Ford's job to offer a buffet to the greatest degree possible; unfortunately, there are economic realities and an ala carte menu isn't easily supported in modern mass production. I'd love to be able to order my Bronco with the Black Diamond package and 235/70/15 cheapies on steel wheels 'cause I'm going to throw them away anyway, but Ford probably isn't going to stock or program their production line for that option for the 100-or-so people who would select it. I understand that I'm not that special, and there is some sacrifice in making a production line consumer product into a custom expression of the vision I see for MY Bronco.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Choices and options are a good thing
I'm going from memory here...but I think it was Henry Ford himself who figured out he'd sell more cars if customers could make choices. And if I can disable functions or remove a chip to 'Spartan' things up a bit I'll be a happy camper. But there's no way I'd want to watch a Flintstone-era cartoon greet me when I enter a vehicle. And YEAH, I'd gladly pay more for a refrigerator or anything else that doesn't clutter my mind with needless nonsense. LOL - but maybe that's a derivative of having more money than excess mental capacity!

Sponsored
OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Meh. If it bothered me, it's easier to ignore it than to change it. But change it I could.

I could do without the touch screen, especially for stereo and climate controls. I find it distracting on my girlfriend's Exploder. Factory backup camera is nice.

I retrofitted a backup camera to my Excursion, because with a 4" lift and 35's, I could accidentally back over a lot of modern cars and even some small houses before I knew it. Rear visibility is "troublesome".

Henry Ford offered choices. But I'm sure he would agree with his bean counters that there are limits.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One reason I bought my fusion sport base, was to get real radio buttons.
The other reason was it's almost 200 lbs lighter without sunroof, cooled seats, other added tech....
("we've" weighed a bunch on FS message board). I'd rather have even the minor bits
of extra performance and gas mileage, than the other stuff.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The other reason was it's almost 200 lbs lighter without sunroof, cooled seats, other added tech....
("we've" weighed a bunch on FS message board). I'd rather have even the minor bits
of extra performance and gas mileage, than the other stuff.
^^I'm HIGHLY doubtful of this. A buddy of mine has the same year Mustang GT as me except his is the base model while mine is a loaded premium, both performance package. We both filled up our gas tanks side by side and made sure oil and coolant were at similar levels and drove across the parking lot to the truck scale, and we were within 40lbs of each other. Tech does not add weight like the anti-techers like to make it seem

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^I'm HIGHLY doubtful of this. A buddy of mine has the same year Mustang GT as me except his is the base model while mine is a loaded premium, both performance package. We both filled up our gas tanks side by side and made sure oil and coolant were at similar levels and drove across the parking lot to the truck scale, and we were within 40lbs of each other. Tech does not add weight like the anti-techers like to make it seem
It's a pretty well established truth that accessories in general add weight. Trucks and payload rating are the example most easily referenced, because most cars don't care.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone that is seriously complaining about the weight that a heated seat (which will 100% be an OPTION) or electric window please tell me you’re joking.

I know for a FACT you are going to be the one throwing on 35’s, a smittybilt steel bumper front and rear, electric side steps, gas cans, a harbor freight winch, angry eyes, Underbody LED’s, roof rack, and a high lift jack on your bronco so don’t complain about the 5 pounds of weight a heated seat adds :crackup::crackup:

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone that is seriously complaining about the weight that a heated seat (which will 100% be an OPTION) or electric window please tell me you’re joking.

I know for a FACT you are going to be the one throwing on 35’s, a smittybilt steel bumper front and rear, electric side steps, gas cans, a harbor freight winch, angry eyes, Underbody LED’s, roof rack, and a high lift jack on your bronco so don’t complain about the 5 pounds of weight a heated seat adds :crackup::crackup:
Which is why it is important to eliminate weight where possible, because that capacity can be allocated to useful components. That type of performance vehicle is no different than a track car trimming weight, but adding it back with more powerful brakes, ROPS, etc.

The very premise of this thread disgusts me. Nothing but a troll topic for the majority to **** on people with a different opinion. Which is why I didn't respond to it before.

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The very premise of this thread disgusts me. Nothing but a troll topic for the majority to **** on people with a different opinion. Which is why I didn't respond to it before.
Then you entirely missed the point of the thread, which is ultimately my fault.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mike...I've enjoyed the thread. As with other topics - a broad range of divergent views. I'm not a vehicle 'buff', nor mechanically inclined...so on most vehicles I don't give a hoot about details.

It could be the broncobronco doesn't prompt total infatuation - but I'm hoping it does. If its not just another 'tool' to go from A to B, I guess we'd all like it to be as custom tailored as a Savile Row suit; that's just human nature. My current Renegade meets my needs - but its just a 'tool'...I might swap for another of those, or the baby bronco if its close to Renegade's footprint.

But I'd sure like to think broncobronco will turn out to be more than a 'tool' - something on the level of a 'possession'.
Sponsored